Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2014 7:04pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you a big guy or a little, lanky guy? I think I read tsagaanbaatar is 145 lbs?

I was thinking about the grip hew uses and it's very interesting because with his "overhook" on the shoulder, he can go to a belt/behind the back grip very easily if he wants to, but he can also let it go and go for ankle picks or what have you. It gives him a lot of options.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2014 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Are you a big guy or a little, lanky guy? I think I read tsagaanbaatar is 145 lbs?

I was thinking about the grip hew uses and it's very interesting because with his "overhook" on the shoulder, he can go to a belt/behind the back grip very easily if he wants to, but he can also let it go and go for ankle picks or what have you. It gives him a lot of options.
    I walk around at about 73kg, but compete at 68kg and 66kg. Just did 68kg a few days ago. I'm short-ish (5'7"), pretty stocky, huge posterior chain from deadlifting for years.

Speaking of that armpit grip, a training partner of mine also wrestled at the Sambo World Cup a few days ago, and drew a Kazakh. He was not able to move the guy AT ALL, because the Kazakh got an overhook armpit grip on one side, and a pocket/shoulder grip on the other. Made an almost impenetrable frame. Central Asians are pretty notorious for this, and are often described by the guys around here as wrestling "face-down". Judo purists can complain about it all they want, but the fact remains that Kazakhs, Mongols, Uzbeks, etc. regularly win at very high levels using this strategy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 4:33pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I walk around at about 73kg, but compete at 68kg and 66kg. Just did 68kg a few days ago. I'm short-ish (5'7"), pretty stocky, huge posterior chain from deadlifting for years.

Speaking of that armpit grip, a training partner of mine also wrestled at the Sambo World Cup a few days ago, and drew a Kazakh. He was not able to move the guy AT ALL, because the Kazakh got an overhook armpit grip on one side, and a pocket/shoulder grip on the other. Made an almost impenetrable frame. Central Asians are pretty notorious for this, and are often described by the guys around here as wrestling "face-down". Judo purists can complain about it all they want, but the fact remains that Kazakhs, Mongols, Uzbeks, etc. regularly win at very high levels using this strategy.
    I've noticed that when I try it out, I have more control over the bigger guys then I do with almost any other grip. And if they break through and I lose the grip, It's super easy for me to get a grip over their back or on their belt and attempt a butterfly sweep.

Face down, as in their stance? (Jigotai I think it's called?) They take kind of a belt wrestler's stance I think. Very face to face and neutral looking, I guess. I don't know I'm not an expert.

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 5:40pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Face down, as in their stance? (Jigotai I think it's called?)
    Jigotai is a defensive stance in judo, lower your hips and sit back. If you do it too much you get penalized for non-combativity.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2014 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm not talking about jigotai. A lot of central Asians, in both sambo and judo, wrestle face down... Similar to what you see in belt wrestling, like this:

Yeah, I'm not talking about jigotai. A lot of central Asians, in both sambo and judo, wrestle face down... Similar to what you see in belt wrestling, like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	16017  

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567