Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 3:45am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with asthma...

I have terrible lungs. I first worked this out several years ago when I first started working out, lost twenty pounds, and still found myself unable to run more than half a mile without my lungs throwing in the towel. After a few months of confusion I went to doctor, who diagnosed me and gave me some inhalers. I have one that I use on a daily basis, and another that I use just before I train. While they certainly help, I still often find myself suddenly unable to breath for no reason mid training, and I end up feeling like a ***** when I have to go and use my inhaler during the next 30sec break in between sparring rounds. Also, breathing intensely just after using the inhaler tends to be rather painful, but thus far I have just sucked in up and jumped back in.

This **** is just unacceptable. Is there anything I can do to make my lungs suck less? I already start out my workouts with a decent amount of cardio (5min jump rope, 15min elliptical), and while I can add more I'm not entirely sure that would help. I just want to be able to go through an entire hour long training session without having to go suck down some steroids like obese little timmy whose mother is trying to get him some exercise at the local krotty mcdojo.

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 11:11pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    This **** is just unacceptable. Is there anything I can do to make my lungs suck less?
    When I was 29 or so, I suddenly became asthmatic. The doctors didn't have much to tell me about it other than "you're asthmatic", so no help there. Over the next 17-18 years, inhalers.

Fast forward to last January, and me making a radical change in my diet by going ketogenic. Lost 15-20 pounds, joint pain in my fingers and legs disappeared, and also my asthma completely vanished.

I don't know if it was because I went keto, or because I cut out the largest sources of gluten in my diet (bread and pasta), but it's gone.

Obviously YMMV, but you might want to look into food allergies and see if cutting out some stuff improves your life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already tried to massively cut down on my carbohydrate intake, and as far as I am concerned I have to lose ten pounds at minimum. The problem is that I have be as light as 140lb (I'm somewhere between 5'6 and 5'7"), and that did not fix the problem. I want to go full paleo, but unfortunately at this point in my life doing so is really impractical. I think I will try to get allergy testing though. My sister is gluten intolerant, and who knows, that could be part of my problem. I will definitely look into that angle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 1:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I just remembered that I did have an allergy test done in the last few months. I went through some old mail, and it turns out that I am allergic to grass and some trees. Nothing else.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 10:10am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    And I just remembered that I did have an allergy test done in the last few months. I went through some old mail, and it turns out that I am allergic to grass and some trees. Nothing else.
    I would never have called myself allergic to gluten, more like I have some quiet sensitivity to it. I have friends who most definitely are - big gastro reactions to small doses, but I've got nothing like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2013 4:13am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my first order of business is to try to get myself down to 140lbs again. After that I'll see where things are at. Who knows. Maybe that will improve my lung function.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting closer to my initial target. I am down below 147 right now. My new target is now 135. My asthma really hasn't gotten much better though. I ran a mile and a half last friday, and it did not end well for me. I ran the first mile in 8min (which is a personal best for me), at which point my lungs completely gave out.

It also turns out the my doctor fucked up and gave me the wrong meds for someone who actually exercises. Oops. Maybe getting the proper stuff will make the problem go away.

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who shares asthma related issues, there's a plethora of deep breathing exercises that you can try. The ones that helped me the most are a beginners' Qi Gong set in Stephen Comee's book, titled Beginning Qi Gong,
    http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Qigo...inning+qi+gong

And a little thing called the Power Lung:
    http://www.amazon.com/PowerLung-Brea...rds=power+lung

They should definitely increase your capacity, but as for the more efficient use of oxygen, I think kettle bells are the way to go, but you may find your own thing.

Good luck comrade.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 11:02pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I am actually going to order the Qi Gong book now. For $10 it's definitely worth a shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2014 10:29pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the book has arrived. Now to read it and put it to the test.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast