228071 Bullies, 4608 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC Fighter Thiago Silva in Custody After SWAT Team Standoff

Report: UFC fighter Thiago Silva in custody after SWAT standoff at Oakland Park home

A Broward Sheriff's SWAT team took an armed man into custody just before midnight Thursday after he barricaded himself inside his Oakland Park home after allegedly threatening people at a jiu-jitsu studio Thursday night, officials said.

A USA Today sports site, mmajunkie.com, reported early Friday that the man was Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Thiago Silva. The site reported that an armed Silva walked into Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy, 777 E. Oakland Park Blvd., around 7:45 p.m., made unspecified threats and left. No one at the school was injured, investigators said.

He then went to his townhome at 2041 Coral Heights Blvd. and locked himself inside. The SWAT team was called out and a perimeter was set up.

-------

Debbie Wallace watched as police and SWAT team members swarmed her quiet neighborhood off Northeast 39th Street, with helicopters hovering.

"It's creepy, creepy. It hits close to home," she said. "To be honest with you, I just watched my 4-year-old grandson doing jiu-jitsu in Plantation today. Now I want to take him out of it."

Taken from Sentinel Sun

NBC Miami

Last edited by PizDoff; 2/07/2014 2:32am at .

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 3:46am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rumours abound that his wife fucked half the school. Not confirmed, just rumours. Not even sure where they originated, just seen them in my feed.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 4:32am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, just what the (martial arts) world needs - another great role model...

Anyway, could anyone post some additional/background info for the lazy ones - like some history of Silva vs Popovitch or something? :) Thanks.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 7:02am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Rumours abound that his wife fucked half the school. Not confirmed, just rumours. Not even sure where they originated, just seen them in my feed.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/r...eloping-020614

According to anonymous sources speaking to FOX Sports on Thursday, the altercation began because of a domestic dispute between Silva and his wife. Silva then proceeded to the jiu-jitsu school where he made the threats before leaving and ending up back at his home where police arrived shortly thereafter.
    ...hmmmm.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heard rumors was waiting for a source I found credible before posting. I can't believe they took so long to release his name which according to Florida posters on facebook is normal.
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 8:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edited: Nevermind. Just read the article and it answered my question.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 9:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Accd'g to Fox News, no one was hurt at the gym, nor were any cops hurt -- but he was charged with two counts of attempted felony murder, one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and one count of resisting officer without violence.

Obviously, we don't have all the facts, but I don't see how someone can be charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery without inflicting some kind of injury. Mere threats are not enough to support a charge of attempted murder, and in order to have an aggravated battery someone has to get hit. It's possible he struck his wife, but then why 2 counts of attempted murder?

Either the reports are not accurate, or someone in Broward Co. law enforcement is overcharging the case.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/video-of-th...h-miami-police

When I heard about this last night, it was just "some guy threatened everyone in a BJJ gym, barracaded himself at home, and was then arrested."

The gym in question was Pablo Popovitch's.

Since this is right in my neck of the woods, I'll be following this closely, and if anything new/interesting comes to light, I'll be sure to share it here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 1:31pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently his charges have been reduced to " two counts of felony aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest without violence." Also looks like the gym owner was the one who allegedly slept with his wife.

In his mugshot he looks a bit banged up, but the 'resisting' charge is down to 'without violence'...doesn't sound like he fought anybody at the gym, though...

Oh, and dropped by the UFC (no shocker there)...

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 2:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bond court hearing is at 2:18:00 onward:

He and his wife were separated since 2012. In that case, she has the right to hook up with anyone she damn pleases. Having slept with someone in the past does not give them the right to control who you sleep with now. More than that, such facts are just plain irrelevant. Spreading rumors about it is BS. It sounds like his campaign of violent assault was over housing anyway (2:23:45).

In contrast, he does not have the right to threaten to kill her by text, nor in person, nor to hold her down, nor to put a gun in her mouth, nor to drive intoxicated to her jiujitsu school and threaten her, her instructor (and who knows--and who cares--whether they're dating too), and everyone else in the gym. (There's a sustained discussion at approximately 2:26:00 about why it was charged as attempt murder versus aggravated assault.) He did all those things. Throw the book at him, I say. Once he's convicted, expunge his record of wins and formally give him a lifetime ban from MMA. Not an easily reneged Dana White "never fight in the UFC again" special, a legally binding ban.

The resisting arrest charge is specified in the video as "resisting arrest without violence". Basically, the cops went to his house to arrest him and he didn't obey orders to come out (2:24:30).
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast