Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stulchik throw (бросок стульчик)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poop1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	546.8 KB 
ID:	16086

Gregg Humphreys and some other American sambo coaches call this one the "Stool Check", because the name sorta sounds like that. Hence the poop .jpg. Stulchik. Literally means "chair" in Russian.

Over-the-back Georgian/Chidaoba style grip. I like to fake the koshi guruma, or knock the nearside leg out wide with a fake uchi mata or donkey kick. When I enter, it is stepping to the middle of uke's legs, and bringing the far leg approximately big-toe-to-big-toe with uke's mirror leg. Make contact with your lower quadricep of the near leg, toward the knee, to the lower adductors of your uke's far (mirror opposite) leg.

Then lift uke over your shoulder with your belt grip, look that direction, and arch at a 45 over that same shoulder. The throwing action should resemble more of a lateral drop than a suplex. Finish rolling over the top of uke. Make sure to throw your hips out during the arch, look behind you, and ideally come up on your toes (I don't get toe elevation in this vid).

Thought I'd post, because this isn't a throw that is shown or talked about on the site, from what I've seen. Enjoy.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought a stulchik throw was like a tani-otoshi only with a planted leg instead of a straight one?

Also in the throw you do in the video, you don't have a Georgian grip. From your text description, I was expecting something a bit more like this:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 3:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have a Georgian grip. All that means is that it is over-the-back, as is common in chidaoba because of the uniform. Georgian does not necessarily mean makikomi.

You referenced Igor, and I am in that very video series at that seminar, where he calls this stulchik.

We can have differing definitions. Just making sure you see that I have defined mine.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 5:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. The convention I am used to is that a makikomi grip is when the hithikite pulls things tight and the other hand just flaps about, out of the way. Could be across the back, could be up in the air. Georgian is if the tsurite crosses over the back and is the dominant element of controlling the opponent.

Anyway, that doesn't matter, as I don't do sambo, so I probably have terms wrong.

Do you know why your throw is called a "Stulchik"? The one I know as stulchik involves making a little stool (of the furniture verity) with your knee and pulling your opponent over it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 7:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I speak Russian rather well, so I'm aware of the semantics with the word стульчик. Igor did not explain why he called this stulchik, although you are clearly not sitting in an imaginary chair. Or rather, you are not making a chair for uke.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a hikkomi gaeshi variation without tori going to the ground. The entries you describe are pretty similar too.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 11:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    OK. The convention I am used to is that a makikomi grip is when the hithikite pulls things tight and the other hand just flaps about, out of the way. Could be across the back, could be up in the air. Georgian is if the tsurite crosses over the back and is the dominant element of controlling the opponent.

Anyway, that doesn't matter, as I don't do sambo, so I probably have terms wrong.

Do you know why your throw is called a "Stulchik"? The one I know as stulchik involves making a little stool (of the furniture verity) with your knee and pulling your opponent over it.
    You need to change your definition. No way the other hand just "flaps about" if you are doing it properly. Plus, "makkikomi grip" is something I'm not familiar with in Judo as a term. Makkikomi is a throwing principle, not a grip.

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 12:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Plus, "makkikomi grip" is something I'm not familiar with in Judo as a term. Makkikomi is a throwing principle, not a grip.
    I'm just trying to differentiate between the grip that I know as a Georgian grip (the one referred to as "cross guard" in the IJF rules) and the gripping position you end up in while doing a makikomi based throw.

Blackmonk said "Georgian does not necessarily mean makikomi." My point was that I could take a cross-guard grip and not do any kind of makikomi action.

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 5:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I'm just trying to differentiate between the grip that I know as a Georgian grip (the one referred to as "cross guard" in the IJF rules) and the gripping position you end up in while doing a makikomi based throw.

Blackmonk said "Georgian does not necessarily mean makikomi." My point was that I could take a cross-guard grip and not do any kind of makikomi action.
    OK, I get it now. Thanks!

I like "over the back grip" and maybe "same side over the back grip" with "belt" added in if that is gripped too, instead of ethnic/national adjectives.

But that's just me...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 5:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is pretty common vocabulary in sambo to say Georgian, because of its influence from chidaoba.

I was standing literally next to sambosteve when he was filming the video that CrackFox posted, and if you look at the sequential videos, there is no distinction between mirror side over-the-back vs cross-body.

I say makikomi because that is, for whatever reason, what people normally associate with "Georgian".

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast