Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 2:14am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re-incorporating MA to physical training - *Slightly different*

I'm not really sure WHERE to post this odd question but since my primary objective is getting stronger and faster, I picked this forum.

So yeah, here's what I'm currently doing :

Wed : 5/3/1 reloaded
    Fri : 5/3/1 reloaded
    Sun : 5k Run OR Sprint

Now, I've come across a cheap boxing gym (also offers Muay Thai) on the way home.
    The best part is that it's so accessible and cheap, I'll prolly spend 5-6$ a session at most and to be honest, it sounds pretty damn good.

The BAD part is, they only allow you to spar with a trainer who's been assigned with you, and I heard it's not changeable every session meaning you're stuck with the guy.
    He pads you with 100% attention and stuff though and you pay him to spar.

Here are my questions :

1.) Is this EXTREMELY limited sparring pool enough to learn self defense considering the following conditions?

-I have prior sparring experience in Muay Thai (Twice the price) and Judo (Closed down) but the sparring pool is at least decent.
    -By self defense I mean sucker punching someone before they draw a knife and sprinting fast as a gazelle out of the situation.
    -I mostly use observation and common sense as my primary layer of self defense. Born in a tough third world city, I wear backpacks in front and constantly look behind me and avoid groups of men.

2.) I will probably go with this schedule :

Wed : Bawxing / Muay Thai
    Fri : Lifting (2 Main, 1 Assistance using 5/3/1)
    Sun : Run/Sprint

TL;DR : Can I incorporate boxing in my workout and only have one sparring partner and expect to be able to rely on it by sucker punching strangers and sprinting if avoiding trouble didn't work?

Thanks for your time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 3:24am

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, $6 gets you (what I assume is) an ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING HOUR with an instructor who then will spend the entire time holding pads/sparring with you while correcting your technique? I would kill for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 4:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it lasts for just an hour. I heard if you tip well, they spar for free and stuff. I assume they'll pad you longer.

Plus they give you massages and stretchings... or so I heard.

http://www.elordeboxinggym.com/

The rate I believe is 45ish Peso to a dollar.

Sounds pretty good, right? They do Muay Thai as well.

U JELLY BRAH

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 10:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing sounds fun. The gym could be good or could be bad, only way to know is to try. The sparring limitation sounds weird and it might eventually be a problem. On the other hand, maybe they train the hell out of you with pad work, bag work, and conditioning and leave the sparring mostly to smokers. Who knows?

You'll be chasing three rabbits if you don't either drop one of your pursuits or add more training days. Boxing once a week doesn't get you very good at boxing. Lifting once a week doesn't get you very strong. Running once a week doesn't make you very fast or in condition. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just explaining how it works. Make your own choices with the information given.

Personally I'd box as much as possible, lift once a week at maintenance with no expectation of significant improvement, and drop the runs because I would consider boxing to be my cardio. If after trying the boxing gym I notice that they don't produce fighters then I'd quit and go back to lifting several times a week and cardio once or twice a week. But that's me.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 7:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh wow, that actually is a sensible advice. (Serious)

I'm gonna check it out eventually after maybe a few months. I'm having fun with lifting and sprinting and just saw the gym and thought "Hey, I need to know how to sucker punch potential attackers again.".

Anyway, thanks man.

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 8:27am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    Oh wow, that actually is a sensible advice. (Serious)

I'm gonna check it out eventually after maybe a few months. I'm having fun with lifting and sprinting and just saw the gym and thought "Hey, I need to know how to sucker punch potential attackers again.".

Anyway, thanks man.
    First, paying a pro to spar and hold pads for you... that sounds fucking awesome. He is probably very good at holding them, and challenging you just right in sparring. So yes, it will be good to box with a pro and get privet lessons for self defense and for boxing LOL.
    Second, if you have a good base in kickboxing, than once a week is not too bad to get some rust off, and to maintain a level. Though at least twice would be recommended, and preferably more if you want to be able to do more than sucker punch nicely.
    The warmups in boxing can and should include running and sprinting, also some basic strength stuff like pushups and pullups etc. So i would take at least one more boxing lesson, ask your private coach to add sprints or lifts if that is what you want..Where is that?? if it is Mexico, they have good boxing there..

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Boxing sounds fun. The gym could be good or could be bad, only way to know is to try. The sparring limitation sounds weird and it might eventually be a problem. On the other hand, maybe they train the hell out of you with pad work, bag work, and conditioning and leave the sparring mostly to smokers. Who knows?

You'll be chasing three rabbits if you don't either drop one of your pursuits or add more training days. Boxing once a week doesn't get you very good at boxing. Lifting once a week doesn't get you very strong. Running once a week doesn't make you very fast or in condition. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just explaining how it works. Make your own choices with the information given.

Personally I'd box as much as possible, lift once a week at maintenance with no expectation of significant improvement, and drop the runs because I would consider boxing to be my cardio. If after trying the boxing gym I notice that they don't produce fighters then I'd quit and go back to lifting several times a week and cardio once or twice a week. But that's me.
    /thread
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 8:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    erezb, that actually answers my question about the weird sparring limitation.

It's in the Philippines though and it's primarily a ... "fitness" gym, not where fighters are made. But the trainers are pro.

It's not too bad for the price tbh.