Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I'm not buying the level of swelling without further information as to how the OP got "decked". My injuries in aikido were, for the most part, limited to joint issues and the occasional scraped toe/knee from the canvas covered tatami.
    Being aikido, its possible the impact was made worse by running straight into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 12:31pm

Style: open minded

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously there is an error in communication here. Aikido is not a striking art. We were practicing peaceful Randori; as I stated evasion work. He turned from a grab on his right wrist and punched me in the face. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 5:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Obviously there is an error in communication here. Aikido is not a striking art. We were practicing peaceful Randori; as I stated evasion work. He turned from a grab on his right wrist and punched me in the face. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

I'm kind of speech/write-less about what you describe. Did he apologize right away, make excuses, or just stand there ? That is very strange behavior...

I mean, in judo randori, although not "peaceful" if we hurt someone on accident we let the guy know it was an accident, apologize, and help them out if needed.

You wrote that your sensei did not address the "accident". Presumably he witnessed it. I'd talk to sensei about the incident for sure. If the guy is out of context aggressive or injurious to others like that, he/ she needs to know. Accidents happen, but seriously, a blow to your face like that is totally out of context from what you describe as the activity.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 5:47pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Serious question for you, Anastastia - you state that "Aikido is not a striking art" and that you have only been at this dojo "a couple of months" and that "things at your previous dojo were different" - do you think you may have a disconnect between your aikido and the new dojo?

(Just trying to understand situation a bit better - occasionally we have people come to train with us from other backgrounds who have different opinions re: striking / harmony etc. That being said, as a reasonable person, I would expect an apology if I got hit as you have explained it. If I hit you (hard enough to cause injury) accidentally, then that would show I lacked control to deal with the situation.

Put it another way - you have stated "peaceful randori" - is this your term, or the club's?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 9:55pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should probably ask the person exactly what happened. Tell them you just want to understand how that accident occurred and to that you'd like to find a way to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Was he attempting shomen-ate by any chance? I trying to picture another technique in which he could accidentally hit you in the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 2:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe there is a huge disconnect. My previous dojo was white/ black belt. Very very traditional. This dojo is more casual with slight arrogance. Peaceful randori is the dojos term not mine. Personally; I wouldn't hit an uke even if I got uncomfortable.

We do have a grand master who runs the school that was not there at the time of this incident. I'm battling back and forth between telling him or not. When this happened the sensei instructing wrote off the behavior and stated: this is martial arts, you're going to get hurt.

That's very true, but that being said isn't there such a thing as respect for your training partner?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it was from a same arm wrist grab; and there was no contact to my neck.

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 8:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I can. When I said I lost vision it wasn't black; just blurry. I have my full vision back and the swelling has improved dramatically.

Good to hear you are OK.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2014 10:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    You should probably ask the person exactly what happened. Tell them you just want to understand how that accident occurred and to that you'd like to find a way to make sure that it doesn't happen again.
    If he behaves in a similar way with other people, then obviously he's got some issues. If not, then either it was an accident, or you were both practicing different kinds of Aikido. Aikido has a way of making people complacent, since most of the time the attacks are not particularly compelling. Every once in a while you run into someone who tries to make the art a bit more realistic, and attacks or defends convincingly -- not a bad thing, as long as you are prepared for it. Since this is a new dojo for you, is it possible there was a miscommunication in the force to be used in training?

Any way, you have to speak with the person privately to clear this up. If it was an accident, you should know it, and if it was his accident, you deserve an apology. If he's into "The Deadly Street Aikido," then you should know it so you can decide whether to train with him next time or at least know what to expect. And if it was deliberate, all the more reason to confront the person and call him on it so he doesn't make a habit of it.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 2/04/2014 10:32am at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast