Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:07am

Style: American Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Adhesions and Nerve Entrapment

After many years of abuse followed by long periods of unuse and heading into my mid 40's I am dealing with a difficulty in regaining the level of flexibility I once knew. I am sure in large part to adhesions that have developed and entrenched themselves. Most specifically in my adductors in the adductor canal region (groin area).
    This has also, I believe, entrapped my Saphenous nerve. That's a self-diagnosis based on my own research on the web, but I believe it to be what I'm dealing with.
    I stretch religiously and compared to most I'm still pretty flexible, but nowhere near where I used to be. My "cold" flexibility is where I feel the most frustrated as after I've warmed up and stretched out for a bit I'm ok (but not where I'd like to be)
    I can't really afford massage or chiropractic therapy right now. any suggestions as to what I can do on my own?

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 12:14am

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. If you think you have a medical problem, do not self-diagnose. See a medical professional.

2. See 1

3. Flexibility often has more to do with the nervous system than it does the muscles, connective tissues, and joints. Not always, but often. If you want to maintain flexibility, teach your body that the flexibility is something you want to keep. Strengthen those ranges, play in them, use them often and differently.

4. "Adhesions" are a very poorly constructed concept with little to no evidence. People and tissues are not perfectly symmetrical or uniform.

5. If you're into that kind of "soft tissue" type thing you can use a foam roller, tennis ball, etc. to perform self-massage. Lots of people like these and I'm one of them. Again the target there is almost certainly the nervous system. If there actually was some sort of "adhesion" in connective tissue or muscle, nothing short of a steam roller, steroid, or surgery would change anything.

6. Did you look at point 1 yet?

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 5:59am

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't bother going to see a chiropractor, either :
    http://www.chirobase.org/01General/skeptic.html
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant! View Post
    Medical research does actually show positive effects from chiropractic for specific conditions.

You have to be careful linking things like QuackWatch or Chirobase. These are biased sources.

Those guys are Professional Online Skeptics. They will go to their grave defending their positions on things like acupuncture and chiropractice, no matter what new studies or evidence comes out. That specific link you posted is 14 years old, too.

This is a better source, and cites far more recent research.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropra...troduction.htm

Key Points

Most research on chiropractic has focused on spinal manipulation. Spinal manipulation appears to benefit some people with low-back pain and may also be helpful for headaches, neck pain, upper- and lower-extremity joint conditions, and whiplash-associated disorders.

Side effects from spinal manipulation can include temporary headaches, tiredness, or discomfort in the parts of the body that were treated. There have been rare reports of serious complications such as stroke, but whether spinal manipulation actually causes these complications is unclear. Safety remains an important focus of ongoing research.

Tell all your health care providers about any complementary health practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.
    What the Science Says

Researchers have studied spinal manipulation for a number of conditions ranging from back, neck, and shoulder pain to asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, and headaches. Much of the research has focused on low-back pain, and has shown that spinal manipulation appears to benefit some people with this condition. (For more information, see the Spinal Manipulation for Low-Back Pain fact sheet.

A 2010 review of scientific evidence on manual therapies for a range of conditions concluded that spinal manipulation/mobilization may be helpful for several conditions in addition to back pain, including migraine and cervicogenic (neck-related) headaches, neck pain, upper- and lower-extremity joint conditions, and whiplash-associated disorders. The review also identified a number of conditions for which spinal manipulation/mobilization appears not to be helpful (including asthma, hypertension, and menstrual pain) or the evidence is inconclusive (e.g., fibromyalgia, mid-back pain, premenstrual syndrome, sciatica, and temporomandibular joint disorders).
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/19/2014 10:10am at .

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 11:15am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant! View Post
    I wouldn't consult a chiropractor either. For this particular problem.

Seeing as I am a chiropractor myself, this does not sound like the sort of thing that really needs chiropractic care since it SOUNDS like it's more soft-tissue in nature and less joint related. I would, however, strongly recommend that you get this sort of thing addressed professionally. If you're experiencing numbness or lancing pains in your leg, there's quite a few that could be causing it and if you don't have a background of sort sort in Health care it's really difficult to differentiate between them.

Other than that, Gypsy's usually on the Money. Impossible to tell what you should be doing based on your description, however. If you provide more details, I may be able to assist you, which will most likely consist of me telling you who to consult.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 8:01pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tip, regarding the source.
    I shall have to give this further consideration.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!