Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 2:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I f*c*ed up my shoulders. Wat do?

So yesterday one of my training partners kept pushing a kimura after I tapped for a few seconds (he didn't feel it or something)? I felt reasonably well so I decided to go and train today. Lo and behold, I fucked up while drilling anaconda chokes and now that shoulder is worse and my other shoulder doesn't feel so great either. I took some ibuprofen, put on some anti-inflammatory cream, and now have ice packs on both of my shoulders. Is there anything else I can do? I'm thinking I should just stick to Muay Thai and only drill kicks for the rest of the week. Maybe spend a bit more time jumping rope or something.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate Ude Garami...when it's done to me at least. Margin for error for injury, especially to a shoulder is small.

Also, asshole training partner needs to learn that something might be amiss when an armlock is applied and the other guy doesn't tap. I know when I get the right position and control so rarely put much force into arm locks in training. If the guy I'm rolling with wants to think he got away, doesn't bother me.

You may need to tap a bit more aggressively. One thing I noticed at BJJ practice was the lack of volume and force in tapping.

To answer your question, give it a rest on the upper body is what I would do. I take Ibuprofen quite a bit, but your tolerance and how it works on you may vary.

See how it feels in a week. If it doesn't heal, go to an MD.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest the shoulder.

The fastest way to lose out on MA training time altogether is to go too hard on an already injured limb, and you only have four to start with. Shoulder injuries (like knees) seem to be one of those things that are commonly seen in long-term MA enthusiasts, probably because they really want to train, but shouldn't.

My son's scout master was a long time Savate competitor and school instructor and according to him, he trained "stupidly" and today, both his knees are artificial. It's tough hearing that a lifetime of joy training MA can lead to double replacement surgery down the road...so I think it pays to be a little careful, and no shame in taking a little recup time.

Some folks might recommend you "work around" the injury, but I'm all for taking a little time off. Missing a week or so to heal up is not nearly as bad as pushing it and injuring yourself in a way that can affect your MA training for decades.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/16/2014 3:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I hate Ude Garami...when it's done to me at least. Margin for error for injury, especially to a shoulder is small.

Also, asshole training partner needs to learn that something might be amiss when an armlock is applied and the other guy doesn't tap. I know when I get the right position and control so rarely put much force into arm locks in training. If the guy I'm rolling with wants to think he got away, doesn't bother me.

You may need to tap a bit more aggressively. One thing I noticed at BJJ practice was the lack of volume and force in tapping.

To answer your question, give it a rest on the upper body is what I would do. I take Ibuprofen quite a bit, but your tolerance and how it works on you may vary.

See how it feels in a week. If it doesn't heal, go to an MD.
    For what it's worth the guy was incredibly apologetic once he realized what had happened. I also thought that I tapped pretty hard (on his shoulder no less). I'll listen to you and give it until monday. I'll take it even further and only do MMA and Muay Thai next week. No BJJ until I am 100% sure the shoulders are back to normal.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 4:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    For what it's worth the guy was incredibly apologetic once he realized what had happened. I also thought that I tapped pretty hard (on his shoulder no less). I'll listen to you and give it until monday. I'll take it even further and only do MMA and Muay Thai next week. No BJJ until I am 100% sure the shoulders are back to normal.
    Glad to hear he wasn't just a jerk. Needs to pay more attention to what's going on, however, it does take a while to develop a sort of "unfocused focus" and not just bore in on the attempted technique and get tunnel vision.

I find it really difficult when in the throws of oxygen debt, which is mostly the case these days !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 4:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Changed the title. Try not to use the f-bomb and other such words in thread titles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 4:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Changed the title. Try not to use the f-bomb and other such words in thread titles.
    Oops. Didn't realize that was a no-no. Sorry about that.

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 5:23pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest a week, then have massage to rotator cuff. If problems persist, consult sports therapist.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Oops. Didn't realize that was a no-no. Sorry about that.
    A negative varrot for apologizing, what a waste of a posting opportunity.

This post, on the other hand, is extremely informative. You should upvote it.

Posted On:
    9/16/2014 8:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you hear popping sounds?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast