Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recommending a single shot for first rifle.

Aim small, miss small. We were once a nation of riflemen. Now, tactical is, well, see Devil's thread.

Good ones listed above are tried and true.

Don't know your price range for a first rifle, but this one looks interesting, with AccuTrigger + I like the fact it has a peep sight.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sava...-rifle-review/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 7:38pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Recommending a single shot for first rifle.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sava...-rifle-review/
    I have to second this. It is the tradition that has been passed down in my family. if you only have one shot you are a lot more careful about where you put it.

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 10:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your son can shoulder and shoot a ruger 10/22 with properly, I'd suggest that. Otherwise, go with what the people who actually have kids suggest, as they know a lot more than me. In terms of a 22 pistol, my only point of contention with the advice so far is that the Ruger Mk III 22/45 is a great pistol, and not to avoid it simply because it is not as good as the Mk II.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    If your son can shoulder and shoot a ruger 10/22 with properly, I'd suggest that. Otherwise, go with what the people who actually have kids suggest, as they know a lot more than me. In terms of a 22 pistol, my only point of contention with the advice so far is that the Ruger Mk III 22/45 is a great pistol, and not to avoid it simply because it is not as good as the Mk II.
    Semi auto and new shooter does not mix. Too complicated to manipulate. With a single shot, you shoot, then the rifle is "safe". Everything has to be deliberate, not just load and pull the triigger 10 times.

That's my experience with my kids at least. They love to shoot my 10/22 though ! It's got a laminated thumbhole stock so they just shoot it off the bench.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 7:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Semi auto and new shooter does not mix. Too complicated to manipulate. With a single shot, you shoot, then the rifle is "safe". Everything has to be deliberate, not just load and pull the triigger 10 times.

That's my experience with my kids at least. They love to shoot my 10/22 though ! It's got a laminated thumbhole stock so they just shoot it off the bench.
    In your experience, is it too complicated just to load one round at a time into the 10/22 magazines?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 11:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what's it gonna' be? Don't leave us hanging.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 11:25am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    In your experience, is it too complicated just to load one round at a time into the 10/22 magazines?
    My kids started shooting 6 and 7 respectively. Manipulating the round into the magazine was a bit complicated for them. Inserting the magazine same issue, and especially hitting the mag release while performing muzzle control, dropping the mag, etc. Then there was manipulating the bolt to chamber a cartridge. Then unloading as well. To hold the breach open is complicated (pull back bolt, hold it back, push in slide lock and takes too much strength.

No way to tell if the weapon is cocked either. On a Cricket at least you have to manually cock the rifle.

So, overall, 10/22 operation is too complicated for a beginning shooter, especially a younger kid. They need to concentrate on the basics of safe firearm handling and marksmanship, not manipulating multiple controls.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a single shot is ideal, but I learned to shoot with a semi-auto .22. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 7:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think a single shot is ideal, but I learned to shoot with a semi-auto .22. I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    I haven't quite finished shopping/research yet, but based on recommendations here and from a friend who's quite knowledgeable concerning firearms, I'm leaning heavily toward the Savage Arms Rascal.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 7:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Maybe not for you, but my boys handled my 10/22 under my supervision. I shared my experience based on that. For older boys, with bigger hands and more hand strength, I wouldn't rule out the 10/22.

They will both get pump shotguns this year, so I'm not averse to more complicated arms. They now exercise excellent muzzle control and safety, so don't have to concentrate so much on that plus manipulating the gun. At first those shotguns will be single shots, though, as they learn the drill with them.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast