Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 3:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say all the observations were fairly correct.

I spent a lot of time repeating myself, but that was mostly so witnesses would know exactly what I was saying and repeat it to the cops later. If i was already physically moving the guy, it was a safe bet that talking had not worked.

Patrons attempting to re enter was common, but I never worked anywhere so large that this was ever effective.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 8:12pm

Style: Krav Maga, Running Away

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    To those who hate all bouncers on principle, the following may seem counter-intuitive, but one way to simplify your nightly shift is to gain the respect (not necessarily the friendship, though that might also inadvertently occur) of the regulars.
    I always try to be nice to door staff (and not just I've got mates who work the door; I understand it's a valuable but difficult job).

This does bring to mind one experience though (a bit O/T but hey ho):

Some years ago I was walking a girl back to my flat. We passed a local club. It was incredibly exclusive and fashionable at the time. I pointed it out to her.

One of the door staff heard me and asked if we'd like to come in.

I pointed to the half mile long queue and said: "Not that much mate!"

He just smiled, moved aside the cordon and waved us both in.

When I was in I bought some drinks and then went back to the doorstaff to thank them.

They pointed to my drink and said: "We always try to encourage older people in. They actually buy drinks. The young ones just drink tap water all night".

Yeah, cheers for that. I'd better sit down before my arthritis plays up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 8:17pm

Style: Krav Maga, Running Away

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know how well Brit humour translates across the pond but see what you think of this:

"How far away are they?"

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 9:32pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yes if you sell it right

I can generally take five minutes to set things up in my favor before even approaching the guy,.

Hi Gregaquaman, since it would be instructional, could you:

1) Describe how you set things up before approaching the guy.

2) Provide an example of the verbal sell you would use when telling the guy he's cut off and walking him to the door.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Hi Gregaquaman, since it would be instructional, could you:

1) Describe how you set things up before approaching the guy.

2) Provide an example of the verbal sell you would use when telling the guy he's cut off and walking him to the door.
    The set up for a drunk. Is generally pretty slow so it is situational. I will watch the guy for a bit and try to be as sure as I can before acting. If they don't warrant an ejection. Then I will tell them that they are getting close.(this sets me up later for when I do put them out) I don't put people on water or hold their hand I tell them the situation and let them figure it out them selves.

If a guy is intox i will try to catch them at the end of their drink while I a. Waiting I will call for back up. Who can take their time and wander up. If something else is going on I don't intox people I just wait until I have the man power.

So I go up to the guy with numbers and generally ask to speak to the guy at the front door.

Excuse me sir can I speak to you out the front.

Why?

I will tell you when we get to the front door.

Any argument or explanation can be had there they want to have their say and that is their best option.

Now I will generally just start walking. I have back up if he wants to run but if he wants to prove how right he is he has to follow me.

At the door I explain to him.

I am sorry sir but you have had too much to drink you will have to call it a night.

I have watched him so if it is questioned. I have made note if he has staggered or slurred. From the door I negotiate the rest of his night. Where he can go. How to contact his friends how to get home
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Otherwise I don't bullshit people. I am there to protect the licence of the venue. If the pub wants to trade I have to eject drunk people or I get fined. Simple as that.

That is the law that is what we both have to adhere to.

I really don't try to score points or win much any more. I succeed more by loosing the argument.

You are right now be right somewhere else.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Otherwise it is almost a flow chart of response and counter I just bog through them until I get a result.

The better responce i get the more I will use that line. Strip phrases are the technical term for that and is used by pickup artists and salesmen.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:54am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You usually know ahead of time who is going to be a problem. As Greg said, You never toss solo if it can be avoided.

Some more tactics I have used:

1: Blame the manager- "Hey man, I'm really sorry but the manager is really nervous and he says you gotta go. It's cool though, I'll get you in with no cover tomorrow/next week/whenever." This way I'm just another guy with a **** boss helping a bro out. Hard to hate that guy.

2: Lie- "Dude, some guy out front is asking for you, can you come talk to him?"

3: Enlist his friends- "Guys, your bud here is pretty toasted. Let's keep him under control or I gotta boot him." The whole group will often move on if you do this. It can sometimes escalate into, "Guys, he's gotta go, do you want me to get him a cab?" Which pretty much tells them that it's time to leave. And finally, "He can go home with you, or in a police car, your call."

4: Ask nicely-Above all, and I've said this a thousand times, never punk the guy. If a guy has a way to retreat without looking like a bitch, he'll almost always take it. As long as he can get out the door without feeling punked, he's gonna take it 99/100 times. To do this, sometimes you have to come off as a little bit beta, but it works A LOT of the time.
    "Hey man, I'm really sorry, but I gotta cut you off. I know that sucks, but hell, it happens to all of us. Do you want me to get you a cab? Where are your friends so I can let them know? I'll take care of your tab. Hope to see you here again!"

When none of this works, it's simply a grab hoist, and drag to the door. If he's drunk and you have back up, that is really all there is to it.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 5:24pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't hate bouncers. I hate idiots. Sometimes bouncers are idiots. I'm practically impossible to piss off in a bar because I have much to lose and nothing to gain by choking out a drunk (or anyone) at a bar or risking getting beat down. If I am visualizing smashing your head against the wall while you are sitting on your stool being a dick and grabbing at me for no good reason, you are an idiot.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 9:53pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While not a bouncer, a large portion of my security job is removing problematic people (mostly transients who are causing problems) from campus. Along with what Scrapper said, I have found the most effective way of doing this to be just asking them nicely, and then outlining what the consequences (cops being called) are if they refuse. aka: "Hello sir. Sorry, but you can't drink that bottle of Boons Farm here, this is a private campus. I don't want to cause you any trouble, but if you refuse I have to call the cops. Thanks." That has gotten 90% of the people to leave.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12