Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 6:43am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chronic Illness/Injury and Training

So I haven't been training for nearly the past year. It aggravates me every day that I don't, so why have I been riding my bike more and not rolling or kickboxing at all?

Well, as it turns out I have a chronic illness. For most of the last year I've either been injured or had painful open wounds on my fingertips that have kept me out of the gym and severely limited what I can do in the way of exercise. I can't even fathom the thought of trying to hold onto a gi with them. Any kind of shock to the affected finger(s) causes near blinding levels of pain, so I haven't even been able to get a decent amount of range time in. Turns out they're called digital ulcers and take frigging forever to heal. I took the blood tests that confirmed the presence of an autoimmune disorder last week and will be meeting with a rheumatologist on Tuesday for a formal diagnosis. I expect a diagnosis of limited scleroderma.

The good? While incurable it's treatable. With the proper prescriptions I should be able to return to training next month. Finally. The second "good" thing about it is that it's so rare in males that it's almost certainly service connected. It's also a bit of a relief to actually have a diagnosis and a plan of action rather then just a sense of "WTF, over? I'm falling apart."

The bad? Well, aside from incurable I suppose there isn't much that's bad since progression to more fatal forms of the illness are almost as rare as the illness itself. I'll likely just have to take some annoying-ass pills.

While this thread was mostly just for me to vent to anonymous assholes on the internet, I was wondering if any of the rest of you are dealing with similar issues that are affecting your training. If so, how are you dealing with it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 7:08am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't had anything quite that bad but training has been limited over the last 9 months due to falling off an obstacle in an obstacle run and ending up in a leg plaster plus a torn shoulder muscle recently.

With the leg injury I had to look at upper body exercise (did a lot of weights for upper body and abs).

Shoulder was a real pain (no pun intended) as I struggled to do any resistance. however the good thing was that by then my leg had cleared up and I could at least run.

I have felt pretty **** by not training to the degree I would like but have just tried to train around it.

I'm hoping to be fully fit by next month and am almost ticking the days off...

My advice, train around your injury rather than give up, psychologically you will feel better for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 9:46am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to exam I had to pass for my job I have a bad back (should not lift more than 7kg of weight), heart arrhythmia, bad eyes (-10 + glaucoma in the family), fun in the attick,.... and than I stopped reading.

I mean I wouldn't go out of the house if I'd take all this into account. I already fixed my back and I figured I won't end up blind if I monitor eye pressure regularly.
    Of course I addressed all these problems in the early stages. Still I'll have to face the fact that I'll possibly never be a competition material. But I slowly stopped caring about that. MA give me health, psychophysical stability and tons of fun. Works for me.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 1/24/2014 9:50am at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a similar condition going on 15 years now. Used to be my feet and hands and nowadays is mostly limited to fingers. It's a very painful thing to live through 24 hours a day but there are things you can do.

Lots of band aids. Use less soap.

Soak your hands in cool water for at least 15m before applying moisturizers or topical medicines, esp before bed. This "soak and smear" process is proven to greatly improve healing and medicinal effectiveness for a huge range of chronic dermatological problems, particularly in cold/dry weather where the skin is dryer and more prone to damage.

My hands typically look like they belong on an Egyptian mummy.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a retinal hemorrhage a couple of years ago. My doctor told me I should be cereful not to get hit in the head too much or too hard. How I deal with it is to limit my sparring to once or twice a week at most, no more than 5 or 6 rounds each time, and light to moderate contact only. If I'm sparring with someone who hits too hard, I ask him to ease up on the head shots. If he doesnt't I finish the round keeping my distance and don't spar with him again til he gets my point.

My other condition is called advancing old age. I had to stop practicing BJJ regularly due to recurrent joint injuries. Other precautions are similar to the above -- fortunately my instructor backs me up, since he is older than me.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 12:56pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an issue that limits protein intake
    never planned on bodybuilding anyways