Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 5:43pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    That sounds like an awesome deal.
    Yeah it was sort of a backyard club for ages and then just got organized. For what we get that is probably the best deal you are going to find.

We get a bit of sponsorship though.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 12:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is that an awesome deal? It sounds a bit backwards to me. Sincere inquiry btw.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zerosum79 View Post
    In my opinion, there is no legitimate reason for a school offering quality instruction to require contracts.
    Your opinion doesn't fit with reality: many schools require contracts because of local requirements or because it makes good business sense for them. I can think of a couple reasons...local ordinances requiring schools to be licensed and use legal paperwork, or rental space requirements like those enforced by a landlord.

Good contracts are there to protect both the school and the student. The school gets its requirements agreed to, in writing, at the start, and the student knows exactly what they are paying for.

Both parties can sue for breach of contract, that includes you. Just be smart about what you actually sign.

I am very skeptical of schools that utilize this as a standard business practice. Now some background.
    Most BUSINESSES utilize contracts as a standard business practice. A school doesn't have to be run like a business, but many good ones are, and that is a good thing for the consumer, not a bad thing.

However, I still want to train at this school. I have been burned by contracts in other areas of my life
    Serious question: did you deserve it?
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/28/2014 1:08am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 4:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most schools including the one you are referring to have a "drop in rate." These range from a mat fee for 1 day to an entire month. If you don't want to sign a contract pay the drop in rate. Most people that train regularly prefer the contract rate as it is cheaper because the school is guaranteeing a full year of income.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    How is that an awesome deal? It sounds a bit backwards to me. Sincere inquiry btw.
    You have to pay the hundred a year

But if you choose to pay weekly 30 bucks for I think we do 10 training classes 5 short conditioning. And five long conditioning in the morning. Pay weekly turn up or don't.

If you just want to do one maybe two classes a week it is 7 bucks a go. Now a casual rate in some gyms can be 15 to 20 here.

There are no contracts.

The other Aussies can say what they pay.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 8:43am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your weekly rate plus insurance works out to over $138/month, which is not outrageous but certainly not cheap, based on the many other discussions we've had about rates over the years. I wouldn't call it an awesome deal by any stretch. My judo club fees for example work out to around $2.50/class including provincial and national org dues. Only in Canada you say? Looking at Budokan Judo in Sydney, they charge $440/year for 3 classes/week, so that's under $3/class.
    Last edited by NeilG; 1/28/2014 8:50am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 9:01am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the school owner's perspective:

-Orienting new students drags an ongoing class down, it's just the way it is. If the class is going to invest their learning time in getting a new student up to speed, that student needs to at least commit to be there awhile to get some benefit.

-If the school has a free trial class or week or whatever, the new student knows what he/she is getting into vis a vis the class content. When I see new students drop it's almost never about the class, but rather their lack of commitment to rearrange their schedule etc. This applies double for kids classes when the parents enroll little Johnny, he is super excited about class, but mom and dad haven't really thought out the impact on homework, dinner, and bed time. In the case of kid's classes, contracts are to protect the kids from slacker parents IMHO.

All that said I think a contract more than 6 months is probably excessive.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Your weekly rate plus insurance works out to over $138/month, which is not outrageous but certainly not cheap, based on the many other discussions we've had about rates over the years. I wouldn't call it an awesome deal by any stretch. My judo club fees for example work out to around $2.50/class including provincial and national org dues. Only in Canada you say? Looking at Budokan Judo in Sydney, they charge $440/year for 3 classes/week, so that's under $3/class.
    I worked ours out to about three bucks a class.

But my maths is crap.

30 times 52.
    =1560.
    +100
    =1660.

2 classes a night 5 nights a week. For 52 weeks. =520

1660\520

= 3.1 something. Not counting the morning fitness.

Their casual rate 15 bucks.
    http://www.budokan-judo-club.com/jud...l#Casual_Rates
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 1/28/2014 10:08am at .

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 10:36am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Math's probably OK, but it's not practical to attend 2 classes/night 5 nights a week.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only schools I've known about that didn't require or need contracts were non-profit schools that used cheap, temporary space, such as in churches, the Y, etc. These were also evening schools in which the instructor had a day job.

Sure, I'd rather not sign up with a contract given my choice, but I'd rather sign one and have the benefit of a school that's going to be around for awhile, with decent equipment, and with an instructor that is comfortable teaching, as opposed to a school that disappears in a six months. Or, as opposed to an instructor that's forced to pressure students for money in the form of high promotion fees, special black belt clubs, fancy uniforms, etc. I had a teacher for a short while who actually pressured students to sell Amway for him.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast