218358 Bullies, 6588 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Iceman vs Iceman;

A pro wrestler who calls himself the Iceman says he owns that nickname and thinks he could sue the UFC and Chuck Liddell over its use. Jonathan "Iceman" Knudsen said he registered the name and likeness in 1991. MMAWeekly talked to the professional wrestler and got this statement regarding the situation…

"I bought the licensing rights to this gimmick in 1991. And have filed the gimmick as a TM (trademark). I spent several thousands of dollars to file the gimmick name as a pro wrestler. I have also contacted Black Ice, the company that sponsored Chuck Liddell, to let them know they can no longer use the gimmick name ICEMAN for any of their companies product endorsements or merchandising.

I have also spoken to Chuck Liddell to let him know that I would need to see how they will be packaging his products with the use of the name ICEMAN as an endorsement. As a professional wrestler it is very important to license your name for the reason of signing contracts later down the road.

Without your gimmick name licensing it could mean loss of several thousands of dollars in merchandising and product placement. I am not looking to cause Chuck or the UFC any grief, I have simply told them about the problem with Chuck using the name as a product placement. As long as he does not try to sell products or push products simply using the name ICEMAN gimmick on those products. I have no problem with him using it. I hear he is a very nice guy and easy to get along with and he spoke very professionally on the phone with me today."

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a reasonable guy.

Obviously, the only mature solution would be a combination MMA/Hardcore match for the ICEMAN title.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 5:41pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 5:43pm

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, and Marvel Comics owns the rights over the name Ice Man too. And let's not foreget, Ice Man is a character in Top Gun so they have copy rights on it as well.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stuff like this tends to piss me off.

I'm pretty big wrestling fan and I've never heard of Jonathan "Iceman" Knudsen. Many prowrestlers have used "Iceman" or "the Iceman" as a gimmick name in the past most famously/recently Dean Malenko. Knudsen is in no realistic danger of losing money because people incorrectly confuse Chuck Liddel with him. If anything he make make a few bucks if people think Chuck is making an appearence at some two bit independent wrestling promotion.

A wrestler named Max Payne (or some spelling derivitive) sued Rockstar games for "using his name". As far as I know nothing came out of it, they made have given him a small settlement just to make it go away. Unless a really strong case for confusion and possible deception can be made (such as the two Gallaghers) this stuff usually goes away pretty quickly without much fanfare to the advantage of the more famous user of the name. The only place I know of where this didn't happen was the changing of the WWF to the WWE because of a dispute with the World Wildlife Fund. English courts somehow thought a case for confusion could be made.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    internet traffic.

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 6:42pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As if the UFC is making enough money for some jackass to try and extort them.

Bad for the sport.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 7:16pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.wisinfo.com/newsherald/mn...95277624.shtml

Assuming this is the same guy: This guy has known about Chuck for a while. This is bullshit.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF: "Bigger isn't always better, but it is if you've got the mass behind it" Iceman said.

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of this no-name software company trying to sue microsoft for using "internet explorer." the guy claimed he used IE for a software he had made years ago.

well years later, the browser i'm using is still called IE so i guess we knwo who wom. i hope chuck wins.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast