Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 3:16pm

Style: Striking, grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another one for ukemi, was running without looking, ran into a garbage bag.
    perfect forward roll, back up, never lost speed.
    ninja!

also, escrima style swinging, the squash ball never knew what hit it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not counting the more obvious applications in stuntwork, etc.:

Jogging at night and ran straight into a slightly-below-waist-height temporary fence, flipped over it into a handstand/shoulder roll, kept running.

Foolishly trying to keep up with my son at parkour, slipped off a mossy pedestal and fell a good four feet straight back and down onto hard tile; back breakfall saved me.

Smashed through a series of wooden upright 2x4s with low side kicks during a demolition project.

Serious proficiency at kicking frisbees out of the air when I was a lot younger.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fell off my bike face first, got off with a broken arm instead of a broken neck due to breakfalling.

I was once awakened in the dead of night by cries for help. I did a kip-up in my sleep and only woke up when I was halfway out my bedroom door.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 10:23am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I had a motorcycle accident a few years back. Breakfalls are awesome. My mesh/armor jacket was shredded, but that's just fine after being forced to put a bike down at 50 mph.
    That is really interesting/fortunate. I always wondered about breakfalls well beyond human-running speeds. Did you take it on your back or roll through it? Did you bounce?

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 11:38am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely breakfalls! Slipped on the ice a couple winters ago, right in front of a mother and child waiting for the school bus. From the looks on their faces when I stood back up, I expect they thought I was a rising zombie.

Drawing and cutting with a knife in the office too, opening boxes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 12:07pm

Style: Taekwon-Do, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD training is unparalleled for opening doors and flipping light switches with your hands full.

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 12:34pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the first thing I did was get my arms in, tucked my chin and I tumbled for a bit, kind of rolling across my forearms and back. Then I tried a side breakfall, because tumbling like that sucks and is the reason people break limbs in a wreck like that. Instead of stopping me like it usually did I just sort of... popped back up into the air, like I ramped my extended arm. But I wasn't tumbling as fast, so I did it again. That got me onto my back where I slid for a while, but that was fine because I was on an armor plate. My only real injury was a deep bone bruise on my right hip where I made initial contact and lost my pocket knife. Got the bike back up after getting it out from where it hit a car, turned it off and realized the oil pan was punctured when it dumped. Then insurance information exchange and shortly thereafter the ambulance showed up. I shivered from adrenaline dump and joked with the paramedics, who were very apologetic about poking and prodding me for broken ribs and got a friend to come pick me and the bike up with a truck.

I was pretty sore the next day and limped around for three or four, but no broken bones and only a tiny spot of road rash and a couple minor cuts through my jeans. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to try it without armor.

People who ride without proper safety gear are morons. There's a running joke in the motorcycle community that there are two types of motorcyclists: those who have put a bike down and those who haven't. Yet.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12