Page 2 of 2 First 12

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another one for ukemi, was running without looking, ran into a garbage bag.
    perfect forward roll, back up, never lost speed.
    ninja!

also, escrima style swinging, the squash ball never knew what hit it.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not counting the more obvious applications in stuntwork, etc.:

Jogging at night and ran straight into a slightly-below-waist-height temporary fence, flipped over it into a handstand/shoulder roll, kept running.

Foolishly trying to keep up with my son at parkour, slipped off a mossy pedestal and fell a good four feet straight back and down onto hard tile; back breakfall saved me.

Smashed through a series of wooden upright 2x4s with low side kicks during a demolition project.

Serious proficiency at kicking frisbees out of the air when I was a lot younger.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fell off my bike face first, got off with a broken arm instead of a broken neck due to breakfalling.

I was once awakened in the dead of night by cries for help. I did a kip-up in my sleep and only woke up when I was halfway out my bedroom door.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I had a motorcycle accident a few years back. Breakfalls are awesome. My mesh/armor jacket was shredded, but that's just fine after being forced to put a bike down at 50 mph.
    That is really interesting/fortunate. I always wondered about breakfalls well beyond human-running speeds. Did you take it on your back or roll through it? Did you bounce?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely breakfalls! Slipped on the ice a couple winters ago, right in front of a mother and child waiting for the school bus. From the looks on their faces when I stood back up, I expect they thought I was a rising zombie.

Drawing and cutting with a knife in the office too, opening boxes.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD training is unparalleled for opening doors and flipping light switches with your hands full.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the first thing I did was get my arms in, tucked my chin and I tumbled for a bit, kind of rolling across my forearms and back. Then I tried a side breakfall, because tumbling like that sucks and is the reason people break limbs in a wreck like that. Instead of stopping me like it usually did I just sort of... popped back up into the air, like I ramped my extended arm. But I wasn't tumbling as fast, so I did it again. That got me onto my back where I slid for a while, but that was fine because I was on an armor plate. My only real injury was a deep bone bruise on my right hip where I made initial contact and lost my pocket knife. Got the bike back up after getting it out from where it hit a car, turned it off and realized the oil pan was punctured when it dumped. Then insurance information exchange and shortly thereafter the ambulance showed up. I shivered from adrenaline dump and joked with the paramedics, who were very apologetic about poking and prodding me for broken ribs and got a friend to come pick me and the bike up with a truck.

I was pretty sore the next day and limped around for three or four, but no broken bones and only a tiny spot of road rash and a couple minor cuts through my jeans. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to try it without armor.

People who ride without proper safety gear are morons. There's a running joke in the motorcycle community that there are two types of motorcyclists: those who have put a bike down and those who haven't. Yet.

Page 2 of 2 First 12