Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 6:14pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nonviolent practical applications

Ok, so we all have our different reasons for training, but here is something I find interesting that only seems to come up in jokes…

What are the completely nonviolent ways you have applied your training in real life?

Of course there are lots of general health-fitness-confidence benefits, but what about specific cases?

I will go first:

1) When my son was about six months old, he grabbed a spoon full of baby food and was about to dump it all over himself. I immediately grabbed him by the wrist and performed a perfect eskrima knife disarm on him without spilling anything.

2) Nobody in my extended family/friends can tickle me or wipe dirty/wet hands on me. I am an invincible martial arts master when it comes to an untrained opponent moving extremely slowly with no desire to do me harm in a supportive environment.

3) On multiple occasions, I have used proper falling technique to save myself from being an idiot. One example was when we were late for a flight and took off our shoes to go through security, and I ended up running in my socks. I slipped and landed flat on my back and my stuff flew everywhere and the whole busy airport got quiet as people wondered if I just died. I was fine, but my hands stung for a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 3:51am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I used palm strikes to disassemble large warehouse shelving units during a summer job.

2) I shrimp/hip escape my way around the bed to try to not disturb/crush my wife during the night.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 5:12am

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    3) On multiple occasions, I have used proper falling technique to save myself from being an idiot. One example was when we were late for a flight and took off our shoes to go through security, and I ended up running in my socks. I slipped and landed flat on my back and my stuff flew everywhere and the whole busy airport got quiet as people wondered if I just died. I was fine, but my hands stung for a while.
    I had a motorcycle accident a few years back. Breakfalls are awesome. My mesh/armor jacket was shredded, but that's just fine after being forced to put a bike down at 50 mph.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 7:19am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breakfalls ftw, I bitched down some completely ice-coated stairs on the way to the gym last winter and I swear if I hadn't done a decent back breakfall I'd probably have broken my coccyx.

It also does really help to be able to hit something really hard without damaging your hand, dislodging stuck doors etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 9:19am

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving a couch a month or two ago made me appreciate how good I'd gotten at keeping a firm grip of fabric and maintaining my balance while walking around; guess that JJJ training was good for something, after all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 12:23pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Falling with all the grace and good looks of a potato-sack. Many times. No worries.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 1:40pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would shoulder throw ton bags full of cuttings and crap onto the back of my work truck.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 1:55pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my arm slammed into the sliding door of a minivan a few months after I started training. I can thank arm conditioning for not getting a broken arm.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One benefit of a hard-conditioning and hard-sparring regimen is that you can look like you are ready, willing and able to engage in extreme violence.

This allows you to use diplomacy to defuse situations, as nobody wants you to get angry, and people are so, so relieved that you are being courteous rather than homicidal. The result is immediate compliance without resort to actual violence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 3:13pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apart from general fitness, a forward roll off a scooter/moped (on gravel at 5mph) and a side break fall on ice/snow.

I'm very hard to catch and hold during chasing games (a use for Aikido?).

I've used my sword for trimming bushes in the garden (much more fun than hedge clippers).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast