Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 4:33pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching BJJ to my daughter

My 7 y/o daughter has been doing judo for the past year or so. Our club offers kids judo sessions which last a few months at a time with a couple months in between. She's completed the first two sessions, the first once a week, and the second twice a week. We've also recently started her in the kids MMA class offered where my wife an I train BJJ.

Judo is awesome. MMA is awesome. BUT, jits is my true passion, and it is what I want my child's foundation to be. So, the plan is to teach her myself. The issue is, it's basically me and my daughter. At 7 years old, there's a "slight" size difference, which limits some of the things we can work. My plan is to keep it basic, focus on things like positions and transitions (race tracks), positional escapes, guard replacement, etc. She'll pick up some of the submissions, etc, from MMA, and Judo will handle the takedown department, which is good since the basement "dojo" floor is cement with some puzzle mats thrown down.

What I'm looking for, are suggestions for drills I can have her do where the size difference is not a huge deal.

Solo drills would be great as well.

Some of the things I've got her doing so far:
    -Racetracks (both on her own and using me as a dummy)
    -shrimps (both on her own and with me kneeling over her, so she shrimps out from between my legs and puts butterfly hooks in, and with me in side control on top, she shrimps her hips away, slides her knee across and re-guards)
    -Upas (both on her own and with me mounted
    -securing/maintaining mount
    -Americana from mount (learned in MMA)

Things I'm planning on introducing:
    -knee on belly switching from side to side using me as a dummy
    -leg drags
    -more guard work, specifically SD gracie style guard position (with one hand behind the head, and the other over hooking), course she can't close her guard around me, but I'm having her instead use foot in hips with knees pinching in, etc

Anyone else worked with kids and have ideas for things we can work? I don't want to do to much with subs, she'll get them from MMA, and she's not allowed to use them in judo, so I don't want her focusing on them too much. I'd prefer to see her pinning and out positioning people at least for now. Any resources or suggestions would be appreciated!

We also do a bit of judo review

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 1:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    My 7 y/o daughter has been doing judo for the past year or so. Our club offers kids judo sessions which last a few months at a time with a couple months in between. She's completed the first two sessions, the first once a week, and the second twice a week. We've also recently started her in the kids MMA class offered where my wife an I train BJJ.

Judo is awesome. MMA is awesome. BUT, jits is my true passion, and it is what I want my child's foundation to be. So, the plan is to teach her myself. The issue is, it's basically me and my daughter. At 7 years old, there's a "slight" size difference, which limits some of the things we can work. My plan is to keep it basic, focus on things like positions and transitions (race tracks), positional escapes, guard replacement, etc. She'll pick up some of the submissions, etc, from MMA, and Judo will handle the takedown department, which is good since the basement "dojo" floor is cement with some puzzle mats thrown down.

What I'm looking for, are suggestions for drills I can have her do where the size difference is not a huge deal.

Solo drills would be great as well.

Some of the things I've got her doing so far:
    -Racetracks (both on her own and using me as a dummy)
    -shrimps (both on her own and with me kneeling over her, so she shrimps out from between my legs and puts butterfly hooks in, and with me in side control on top, she shrimps her hips away, slides her knee across and re-guards)
    -Upas (both on her own and with me mounted
    -securing/maintaining mount
    -Americana from mount (learned in MMA)

Things I'm planning on introducing:
    -knee on belly switching from side to side using me as a dummy
    -leg drags
    -more guard work, specifically SD gracie style guard position (with one hand behind the head, and the other over hooking), course she can't close her guard around me, but I'm having her instead use foot in hips with knees pinching in, etc

Anyone else worked with kids and have ideas for things we can work? I don't want to do to much with subs, she'll get them from MMA, and she's not allowed to use them in judo, so I don't want her focusing on them too much. I'd prefer to see her pinning and out positioning people at least for now. Any resources or suggestions would be appreciated!

We also do a bit of judo review
    Most of my experience with training kids is from Judo.

I would add Falling and Rolling to your training. On top of the standard Judo break falls. You can add front roll, back roll, Granby roll, and cartwheel. They will pay off dividends later in the form of passes, setups, guard retention and counters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 12:50pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do the break falls as part of our warm ups thanks to kids judo class. Haven't really worked Granby or cartwheels into it though. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've looked into the Gracie games stuff, does anybody have any experience with those? They seem pretty cool of the 2 or 3 I've seen video of. Might try to work those in. Are they worth the price of the DVD's?