Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just lost an ankle lock battle a few months ago where the guy popped it solid. I felt the figure four grip do the trick. The rotation was used to cut a nice angle, but I didn't feel any twisting damage. Just a straight pop akin to achilles.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post

Ahhh...I beg to differ. Toe holds can be done to act as a straight ankle lock (but those are not the best variants). They are indeed intended to be a twisting lock of the ankle. A good toehold with good leg control does not attack the knee in the same way a heel hook does for example. In fact, just about every toehold injury I have ever seen is an ankle injury (over rotation), not a knee injury. Kind of shocked to see you advocate the opposite. The best toeholds provide torque on the ankle.
    Hence the gross spaghetti-breaking sound that occurs during a good toehold where the other person tries to grunt it out, or refuses to tap.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/25/2014 7:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Estima Lock update: I may have to put this on hold. Today I decided to move from drilling to hunting for it during live rounds. The result I popped two people's ankles today.

The first person was playing half guard Knee Shield. I faked a leg drag to get the foot in my belly, locked it in and *pop* *pop* *CRACK*

The second person tried a straight ankle on me. I peeled off the outside foot and sat on it. Scooped up the inside foot to the belly, locked it in and *CRUNCH*

The first person couldn't continue, the second person did after a short break.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/25/2014 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Hence the gross spaghetti-breaking sound that occurs during a good toehold where the other person tries to grunt it out, or refuses to tap.
    Yeah so this post totally ran through my mind as I got my ankle popped in a toe hold today at a comp. Good news though I rallied and won 3rd in gi by submission and 1st in nogi by submission so you know I got that going for me.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/26/2014 11:41am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the IBJJF rule set. I injured more people in 1 hour with the Estima Lock then 3 years of Heel Hooks. But Heel Hooks are evil and Estima Locks are legal

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 8:38pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Estima Lock update: I may have to put this on hold. Today I decided to move from drilling to hunting for it during live rounds. The result I popped two people's ankles today.

The first person was playing half guard Knee Shield. I faked a leg drag to get the foot in my belly, locked it in and *pop* *pop* *CRACK*

The second person tried a straight ankle on me. I peeled off the outside foot and sat on it. Scooped up the inside foot to the belly, locked it in and *CRUNCH*

The first person couldn't continue, the second person did after a short break.
    Hmm, that seems pretty strange to injure two people using the lock in a day. You should be able to control the submission and apply it slowly enough to give them time to tap?

Was it just put on too quick with the correct leverage? Basically it should come on like a vice, but they should FEEL that before the ankle goes boom...

I'd be interested to know how it happened, I haven't had any issue with injury on the sub as yet, and it's something I do a bit.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both people said the same thing, which was that they didn't feel like they needed to tap. It was locked in, but they didn't feel like they were in danger then the ankle popped.

I been drilling it slow and didn't feel like I applied the lock any faster than normal. The only different was my partner was actively trying to escape.
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/30/2014 1:14am at .

Posted On:
    2/02/2014 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Both people said the same thing, which was that they didn't feel like they needed to tap. It was locked in, but they didn't feel like they were in danger then the ankle popped.

I been drilling it slow and didn't feel like I applied the lock any faster than normal. The only different was my partner was actively trying to escape.
    That's fair, thanks for the reply as well!

Must just be bad luck then! All the best for your future victims ;).
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    2/27/2014 6:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys! Sweet update for you all:

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/the-in...r-ibjjf-rules/

If you were unsure about the legality of �The Estima Footlock� at all belts, rest assured that it can be used for all belts (including white) under IBJJF rules. The infamous lock is considered a straight footlock eventhough it looks like like a mixed toe hold and straight ankle."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	estima.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	15908

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/01/2014 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Hey guys! Sweet update for you all:

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/the-in...r-ibjjf-rules/

If you were unsure about the legality of �The Estima Footlock� at all belts, rest assured that it can be used for all belts (including white) under IBJJF rules. The infamous lock is considered a straight footlock eventhough it looks like like a mixed toe hold and straight ankle."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	estima.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	15908
    Holy **** that is huge!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast