Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/19/2014 7:23pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, good timing!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 1:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
    I found this video that does a pretty good job of explaining what is happening

Someone asked me to watch this vid the other day. This, to me, is not a new tech. My coach was showing me this grip years ago. Having said that, I do like it. This video shows a bit closer to the version I prefer, which is with the reverse grip (the far side arm coming beneath the target leg). The OP video has same side grip which applies less pressure and IMO is easier to defend. Far side grip applies WAY more pressure on the foot/ankle. I definitely grab it during knee shields, scissor sweeps or when folks post their foot on my hips. Or, in some cases when my achilles lock (top side, with reap of course) is not working, I can hip out slightly to make room to come in with the far side RNC type grip.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 1:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    Not to go internet service troubleshooter on you, but I can see you do Sambo, you aren't wearing shoes are you? ...because that might have an effect on this one, lol
    Nah. Shoes will help you get this one faster if the guy has poor defense. He just needs to work the details. BTW, Justin is more than a sambo guy ;)

Just a note on shoes...I consider them a "gi for the feet." Your attacking grip is stronger when you attack someone with shoes, but wearing shoes makes you develop much better defensive tactics.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 10:58am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    That's because Sambo requires strength, GM Helio's all about dat technique since he had the strength of a 100lbs AIDS patient.

The toes against the body make it pretty nasty, the "reverse RNC" (term coined) grip helps prevent them from twisting in and they can't really twist out without driving it deeper.

I started messing with it yesterday to counter the annoyingness that is knee shield and half butterfly, made people panic pretty quick. Tonight I'm going to try it against DLR.
    SAMBO requires strength? Oh my friend, one of the days you should do a side by side comparison to the paradox findings of Kano vs Gracie.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of this new trend in grappling. Moves like this and the barataplata basically exist to work around the banned techniques. I'd rather they just allowed the proper techniques in the first place.

Basically, I don't believe in straight leg locks. The twisting component adds a foreign positional game to the affair that is its own area of study. Surviving the rotation, controlling the rotation and counter attacking are all skills that should be cultivated and not restricted.
    Last edited by The Villain; 1/21/2014 11:14am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with this being part of the “new trend". I always play No-Gi with reaping and I found this lock a great addition to my leg lock game. I will say the amount of people playing DLR and RDLR against has been decreasing the more I drill it.

I would put this is the same category as the 50/50 Guard. A good supplement to the Knee Reaping positions that has the bonus of being legal under most rulesets.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To each his own.

I disagree with the idea that the 50/50 is a supplement to the reaping positions though. It IS a reaping position and exemplifies what leg locks are about. the IBJJF 50/50 isn't a different position, but instead the exact same one with only a portion of its attacks. The berimbolo is underrated as well. It has some serious teeth on it.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 12:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Moves like this and the barataplata basically exist to work around the banned techniques.
    Barataplata comes from a different position to the bicep slicer and Barata obviously competes in divisions where slicers are legal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Basically, I don't believe in straight leg locks. The twisting component adds a foreign positional game to the affair that is its own area of study. Surviving the rotation, controlling the rotation and counter attacking are all skills that should be cultivated and not restricted.
    The Estima lock isn't a straight leg lock, as detailed above it's a toe hold with non-standard grips. What IBJJF-illegal death attack are you doing from this position instead?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 12:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Barataplata comes from a different position to the bicep slicer and Barata obviously competes in divisions where slicers are legal anyway.
    I'm pretty sure it can still function as a slicer. There's not one position that a slicer comes from and that technique makes for a good slicer, which is why you see colored belts being DQed for it.

The Estima lock isn't a straight leg lock, as detailed above it's a toe hold with non-standard grips. What IBJJF-illegal death attack are you doing from this position instead?
    The two are not mutually exclusive. The only toe holds legal in the gi are straight toe holds which function a bit differently than twisting toe holds. I'm pretty sure this one is legal and is a straight toe hold.

Now, as for illegal attacks from there, I use what I call an uppercut. Its a quick, low commitment heel hook/ankle lock. 1:19 I'm drilling it. Thats not an application obviously, but the single handed attack functions as a heel hook and adding a gable grip turns it into a straight ankle lock with a twisting knee attack component.

I'm an asshole, so I like to break the game. If you use twisting attacks, upperbody or lower body, they rotate to take the pressure off, so they can never establish position. That throws the basic position before submission strategy out the window and then they're fucked.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    SAMBO requires strength? Oh my friend, one of the days you should do a side by side comparison to the paradox findings of Kano vs Gracie.
    Your powers (of sarcasm) are weak old man.

Last edited by DKJr; 1/21/2014 12:57pm at .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast