RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 11:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9C,

Dude. I love you man. I think you may be onto something there. Omega commented that my kick isn't really a MT kick, because I chamber as I lift it and then power it out. He called it a "power roundhouse". I admit I tend to visualize CroCop when I kick, and I know he's not a MT kicker. I've noticed the "floating" phenomenon you mentioned (with thai anklets on and a well-worn wood floor, sticking that landing sometimes sucks...I actually fell today due to sweat on the floor. DOH!)

I MAY be planting too quickly. I'll definitely play with that.

Thanks dude. I'll let you know.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks 9chambers, that's really food for thought. I think I might actually have a similar background in striking to CT, and I'm also having problems with the kick. I've actually been trying to AVOID the floating feeling, thinking I should be grounded. I definitely will try it out.

Also, from what I understand of your posts the floating feeling should take stress off the knee. Real food for thought, I've been trying not to twist to much on my knees as they're not too good. :)

Previously for the back leg, I just kind of stepped out with the lead and came up, over and down with my back leg. That's for the low ones anyway. Am I understanding this correctly in that the horizontalish ones should feel kind of floating, and the downward chopping ones have the supporting leg planted?
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    5/16/2004 7:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >I've actually been trying to AVOID the floating feeling, thinking I should be grounded.

Well, you aren't lifting your base leg up under you like a dynamic TKD or Karate style jump kick or anything so your foot is still touching the ground. Your base leg just isn't carrying all that weight. You aren't going to lose your footing, in fact it will only be easier to hop or slide your foot to a more natural position if he catches your kick or you get knocked backwards on impact -- since your base knee is bent and you aren't on your heel. This kick is dependent on it's own velocity and not the base for it's force so you really don't need to be planted. It is a whip kick.

Think of it as swinging a baseball bat -- your weight shifts forward onto your front leg on impact while your back leg slides along to catch you. It's the same concept.

> ... the floating feeling should take
    >stress off the knee.

Exactly.

>I just kind of stepped out with the lead and came up, over and down with my back leg.

That step can telegraph your move. It's best if you don't have to step to set up your kick. There's nothing wrong with stepping if you can work it into deceptive footwork but if a guy notices that the same little step precedes all of your kicks then you are in trouble. It should be one fluid motion from start to finish. You throw the kick out there without setting it up, you switch guards while your weight is floating and then you make sure that you are ready to land in a natural position. Use a natural gait, don't spread your legs out too far -- follow your kick so that you don't have an overly wide stance when you land.

That way there is no telegraphing the kick, it is one movement instead of two. You just have to make sure not to raise your shoulders up when you throw your hip into it. Don't bounce your upper body with the kick, just turn the hip and whip it in there.

... This is all just one style of doing it. Guys often use the step, especially when they are tired. I am just saying that this is the perfect way in my opinion. This way it is one quick explosive motion without the step preceding it. If you are good with your footwork then you can hide the step fairly easily. It's just that your whole body moves with the step -- so you have to control yourself so you don't bob your shoulders with the step. With the added step you will bob twice.

I like whipping the kick in there without the step but you might like the step better. Try them both out and go with what you feel works better for you. Experiment with the timing involved in the movement of the base leg.

>downward chopping ones have
    >the supporting leg planted?

The downward chopping ones are chambered, right? You mean the type that fakes high and then chops down, right? Those can really fool your opponent but they demand a more extreme pivot so I don't use them. You end up in an odd position. I don't like it when my toes are facing away from my enemy. I consider that kind of like having my back to him. It won't hurt you so much in a MT match but when the guy can shoot while you are repositioning both your kicking leg and your base leg then it can cost you. Again, if it works for you under pressure then keep it. I'm just telling you what I do.

If you just mean a low round kick -- I do it the same as the midsection kicks. I rarely if ever use high round kicks. For a round kick to the head you have to use a 3/4 to full pivot unless you actually jump with it. If I do use a high round kick it is just a Karate/TKD style kick really.

* One hint that might help, I noticed that on the rear leg MT kick I keep my knee verticle for the first part of the kick. It turns from a front kick into a round kick midway through the kick. This keeps the leg closer to my body and shortens the path from ground to target. If you are starting it out wide then that might help.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 5/16/2004 7:54am at .

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/16/2004 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks for the hints, I'll have to try them all out. :)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345