Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!

"I am a gun owner. It happens."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leslie_combs_140108c-615x345.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	15790

That was the explanation offered by Kentucky state representative Leslie Combs (D) when her gun went off in her office--with another representative in the room, no less.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Ky-...239271511.html

"Why at that particular moment? I kind of had it on my brain. I had it in my purse," Combs said. "I carried it usually, and I thought I want to put that sucker away. And I did. And I was going through the process as I have been trained to do, had it pointed in the proper direction like I've been trained, was disarming it like Ive been trained to do, and ...like I said I am a gun owner .... it happens."

Combs is sticking by her Second Amendment rights, and was already planning to replace her gun.

"It's an automatic," Combs said. "I need to stick with revolvers."
    What bothers me the most about this story is how much is sounds like Combs is blaming her gun. You can't be pro-gun and preach that "people kill people" and then just say that "it happens" when your gun goes off. Own your mistakes: the gun went off because you failed to check the chamber and then you pulled the trigger. Otherwise responsible gun ownership is all a lie.

I noted at the outset that Combs is a Democrat. I think it's fair to say that were a Republican politician to accidentally fire off a gun and then make the excuse that "it happens", the anti-gun crowd would be demanding an explanation of how he can advocate gun ownership when he seems to think guns just go off on their own.

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 10:55am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you at least cop a fine for that?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call shenanigans. Accidental discharge is BS. She screwed up because she wasn't handling the weapon with care. Or, she fired intentionally. That is all.

(edit) George Carlin said it best, when he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Today a man was arrested for shooting his wife, dog, three kids, the mailman, two neighbors, a grocery clerk, two gas station attendants, four fast food servers, a janitor, a meter maid, and two bike messengers. He claims to have been cleaning his gun when it suddenly went off.
    Last edited by submessenger; 1/10/2014 11:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I call shenanigans. Accidental discharge is BS. She screwed up because she wasn't handling the weapon with care. Or, she fired intentionally. That is all.

(edit) George Carlin said it best, when he said:
    If you listen to everything she says, you will note that she does not even once actually claim the weapon malfunctioned. There was no malfunction: the gun fired because it was loaded and she pulled the trigger. She is trying to weasel her way around admitting this by talking about how dangerous guns are, and doesn't seem to mind that this completely undermines her pro-gun stance.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 11:28am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, she's right, it does happen. When you are being a fucking idiot and not handling, storing or cleaning your weapon correctly. Oh and read that carefully, she is blaming the weapon.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even people who do things correctly occasionally make mistakes. The more guns there are around, the more unintended bullets there will occasionally be flying about the place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 1:05pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Even people who do things correctly occasionally make mistakes. The more guns there are around, the more unintended bullets there will occasionally be flying about the place.
    I'm not sure I understand. Did she do things correctly or did she make a mistake? How can you do both at the same time?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 1:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leslie_combs_140108c-615x345.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	15790

That was the explanation offered by Kentucky state representative Leslie Combs (D) when her gun went off in her office--with another representative in the room, no less.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Ky-...239271511.html

What bothers me the most about this story is how much is sounds like Combs is blaming her gun. You can't be pro-gun and preach that "people kill people" and then just say that "it happens" when your gun goes off. Own your mistakes: the gun went off because you failed to check the chamber and then you pulled the trigger. Otherwise responsible gun ownership is all a lie.

I noted at the outset that Combs is a Democrat. I think it's fair to say that were a Republican politician to accidentally fire off a gun and then make the excuse that "it happens", the anti-gun crowd would be demanding an explanation of how he can advocate gun ownership when he seems to think guns just go off on their own.
    firearm malfunctions do happen, even when handled correctly, finger off trigger, etc.

Fucking rare, though. I've had it happen twice to me in 51 years, both were rifles, one had had a trigger replaced by a gunsmith, the other was a factory defect that was later dealt with by the manufacturer.

The first one, the rifle simply fired while I was holding it while deer hunting. Safety on, pointed in safe direction. Scared the **** out of me ! Second one happened while loading...bolt closed, rifle fired.

Anyway, she is weaseling around for sure. She should take the pistol in and have it checked by a competent gunsmith, have it fixed if it needs it.

And get some more training...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It happens in school too!

I almost blew my foot off once, but I was 16 and too focused on looking for deer sign to realize I was about to create a hole in the ground right where my toes were about to be.... I was also at least 500 yards from a dwelling at the time. I also had the gun pointed at the ground just like I'd been trained in hunting safety class.

It happens. IF it happens inside a building, BOTH you and the weapon need to GTFO.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/10/2014 1:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 2:58pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    firearm malfunctions do happen, even when handled correctly, finger off trigger, etc.

Fucking rare, though. I've had it happen twice to me in 51 years, both were rifles, one had had a trigger replaced by a gunsmith, the other was a factory defect that was later dealt with by the manufacturer.

The first one, the rifle simply fired while I was holding it while deer hunting. Safety on, pointed in safe direction. Scared the **** out of me ! Second one happened while loading...bolt closed, rifle fired.

Anyway, she is weaseling around for sure. She should take the pistol in and have it checked by a competent gunsmith, have it fixed if it needs it.

And get some more training...
    I used to have a .22 that I was given as a kid. One time when I set the thing down it fired. My finger was not on the trigger and the safety was on. I got rid of that piece of crap immediately after. I didn't need that kind of problem.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast