Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Philly Shell + MMA?

Hey guys, I'm sure this is a popular question among boxers/kickboxers of all types -- I was wondering if anyone actually knows how effective the Philly shell guard is in an MMA fight. I'm aware that it's a hard guard to master, but I just wanted to know if it's usable and its practicability. Also, can it be used in a wider stance, or is the "bladed" aspect what gives it its blocking/counterpunching ability? I'm an outside fighter, and I was considering playing around with the clam a little bit next time I spar. However I'm not so sure how to set up the guard since there aren't really that many tutorials and also because I know it's harder to kickbox with a bladed stance.

A little bit about me:
    15 Years Old
    Muay Thai/BJJ practitioner (for a few months now)
    Southpaw
    5'10 with a long reach
    150 lbs

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 6:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You definitely see guys shoulder roll effectively in short bursts (Anderson Silva for one), but IMO doing the full James Toney impression will get you leg kicked and taken down fairly easily.

It does seem to me like standing bladed is essential for the stance to work.

Disclaimer: I'm a horrible striker.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 6:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. Lengthy Sherdog thread on the subject: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f11...ma-kb-2469597/

A guy called Ivica Truscek weighs in part way through who has won a bunch of fights doing it, though he agrees it has weaknesses that he struggles with.