Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 2:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay guys. Almost all of you need a basic lecture on what makes an effective self defense round before we discuss further.

When these guys started marketing this round, I did some research and it seemed like there were accuracy and consistency issues, which is a no-go for me. It is going to be a trade off like any other ammo. Yes, you theoretically bullets split into three will give you a higher chance of a hit. Certainly it will not penetrate or expand as well as a single unit of an expanding bullet.

Also, wadcutter rounds aren't defined by whether they are jacketed or not. Wadcutter means a certain shape designed to cut clean holes in targets. Sometimes wadcutter unjacketed rounds work good as a SD round because they tend to penetrate and destroy things of different consistencies better than a round nose lead bullet.

First of all, nothing beats shot placement. Most practical handgun ammo is piss weak in stopping power compared to any long gun in centerfire calibers. That includes .45ACP. It isn't going to 'send the guy flying' or anything like that. Most important thing is to make your hits to instantly incapacitate. Ideally, on the central nervous system, and less idealy on lethal hit areas like heart and lungs. That being said, you should not skimp on the ammo simply because shot placement. You might miss the ideal areas, you might make a hit, and lastly even if you make a hit you still want the bullet to do maximum damage.

Also remember the human body is a 3D object and threats will not be presented to you in a 2D fashion, like a paper target. Basically you need penetration and energy transfer.

Sorry, I was typing up a huge long article on basics of self defense ammunition, but you guys should just do your own research.

In the end, I am sticking to well tested high performance jacketed, bonded hollowpoints. For me that would be 124gr +p 9mm. Speer gold dot is my favorite.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 4:33pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally wrote an article on terminal ballistics vis a vis ammo types, ya know.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 4:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did say "almost all."

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 4:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    In the end, I am sticking to well tested high performance jacketed, bonded hollowpoints. For me that would be 124gr +p 9mm. Speer gold dot is my favorite.
    Those are the exact rounds I have loaded in the glock 19 I keep in my nightstand.

The multi impact bullets look like they'd be fun to shoot at the range and to blow up bottles and watermelons and **** though.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/12/2014 11:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Upon further consideration, I have another concern about this ammo: legal liability. The state I live in is already very unfriendly to the 2nd Amendment. I do not want the type of ammo I use to be an impetus for the State to try to imprison or beggar me. It's bad enough that I have a legal obligation to attempt to escape my home prior to defending it. Def. sticking with the speer gold dots for SD (until I get my .300blk build done, that is), but will still probably pick some of this ammo up to use, Gallagher-style.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 3:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm talking out of my ass. I re-read the posts and its is definitely not 'almost all'
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Upon further consideration, I have another concern about this ammo: legal liability.
    Beat me to it. As a civilian, irrespective of how effective these things are or aren't, there is no way I would ever consider carrying them around. As dim as the average person, including judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys and jury members are about firearms, there isn't a slender chance that they would be portrayed as anything but magic torture bombs in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Beat me to it. As a civilian, irrespective of how effective these things are or aren't, there is no way I would ever consider carrying them around. As dim as the average person, including judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys and jury members are about firearms, there isn't a slender chance that they would be portrayed as anything but magic torture bombs in court.
    This is where my head starts to explode.

I accept that there are dimwits, propagandists, outright liars, and stupid-ass laws. But, I wouldn't NOT use these just because I fear that I might lose in court, especially if they prove to be more effective, and double-especially if they prove to be both more effective and less- or non-lethal.

Also, did anyone else notice that the non-lethal versions of these bullets appear to have disappeared totally from the website?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I accept that there are dimwits, propagandists, outright liars, and stupid-ass laws. But, I wouldn't NOT use these just because I fear that I might lose in court, especially if they prove to be more effective, and double-especially if they prove to be both more effective and less- or non-lethal.
    When proven ammunition exists, that is similar enough to, say, law enforcement-issued ammunition to deflate a claim of excessive force, there is no reason to occur further risk of a wrongful conviction. In the unlikely and horrible event that I may be required to pull a trigger in self-defense, I aspire in my training to make that decision as unconflicted as possible. Ensuring my sidearm and ammunition, as well as my actions, are as legally defensible as possible remove a source of hesitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When proven ammunition exists,
    I made the caveat that this ammunition isn't proven.

that is similar enough to, say, law enforcement-issued ammunition to deflate a claim of excessive force, there is no reason to occur further risk of a wrongful conviction.
    Rubber bullets and tazers are deadly. You pull the trigger, you accept the risk that you may take someone's life. Period. If, either way, there's a likelihood that the target will end up dead, I don't think excessive force is a valid argument. But, I'm not a lawyer. YMMV.

In the unlikely and horrible event that I may be required to pull a trigger in self-defense, I aspire in my training to make that decision as unconflicted as possible. Ensuring my sidearm and ammunition, as well as my actions, are as legally defensible as possible remove a source of hesitation.
    In the unlikely event that I may be required to pull the trigger in defense of myself, my family, or just some innocent victim, I hope that I am able to completely and permanently stop the threat, and with no collateral damage. The consequences are the consequences, my morality is satisfied if I prevented unwarranted injury or death. If there exists an ammunition that is better at satisfying this outcome, I feel obliged to use it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast