Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Multiple Impact Bullet - way cool, or total BS?

Woah, these things look cool.

Photo goodness:
    Name:  foot_target.png
Views: 580
Size:  233.1 KB

And, professionally produced marketing video:

If these perform at all, they are a game changer. Your .45 is now a BFG. Anyone have any experience with them?

(edit: oops, forgot link to mfr website: http://www.mibullet.com/)
    Last edited by submessenger; 1/09/2014 10:25am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like its basically turning your handgun into a tiny shotgun. Shotguns aren't a game changer in general but generally you can't legally carry around a shotgun that fits in your waistband.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the difference between these and frangible ammo like Glaser, which has been around since the '70s?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../frangible.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/Frangible_Ammo

I've also seen mini shotgun rounds in 9mm, which don't have the power of a Glaser round, but are used for hunting varmints.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very different; first, they are available in 12ga and .45ACP; 9mm "coming soon."

Second, the three large fragments expand to nearly full dispersion at only an inch or two from the muzzle - this is very different from shot, where the group will be very tight at the muzzle, and progressively wider. The tethers ensure a fixed maximum radius.

Third, they are offering this ammo in 3 categories - paraphrasing - guaranteed kill, badly injured, and stun-gun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 12:49pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these covered under the Geneva convention restrictions on "Expanding bullets" (dumdums)?

I understand its kind-of a grey area since they're only banned for war.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 1:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This is very different; first, they are available in 12ga and .45ACP; 9mm "coming soon."

Second, the three large fragments expand to nearly full dispersion at only an inch or two from the muzzle - this is very different from shot, where the group will be very tight at the muzzle, and progressively wider. The tethers ensure a fixed maximum radius.

Third, they are offering this ammo in 3 categories - paraphrasing - guaranteed kill, badly injured, and stun-gun.
    I'm definitely interested in what people have to say about them. Seems like the ideal way to beef up a low caliber round, and make smaller, more concealable pistols a better carry option. Glasers in small calibers didnt have enough penetration to rely on.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 1/09/2014 1:18pm at .
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 1:03pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    What's the difference between these and frangible ammo like Glaser, which has been around since the '70s?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../frangible.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/Frangible_Ammo

I've also seen mini shotgun rounds in 9mm, which don't have the power of a Glaser round, but are used for hunting varmints.
    I think the main difference is that the sub-bullets are connected with a wire, so it's still essentially one bullet with a huge diameter.

I wonder how much of a difference the extra radius makes in a shot that would have been a miss with a normal bullet.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 1:20pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a new twist on an old concept. Bolo rounds have been around for shotguns for a long time. I've never seen it in pistols before, though. I can't say much about potential effectiveness or advantages / disadvantages over conventional ammo. I've never paid much attention to this type of thing.

As for carrying a shotgun in your waistband, there's always the Taurus Judge.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 2:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite ammo -- a tough act to follow:
    Attached Images  

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Are these covered under the Geneva convention restrictions on "Expanding bullets" (dumdums)?

I understand its kind-of a grey area since they're only banned for war.
    Different thing. "Dum dums" are a slang term for unjacketed bullets, also known as "wad cutters". Their expansion is due to the soft nature of lead. Good mushroom, shite penetration.

The "expanding bullet" taboo includes semi jacketed and hollow point bullets. These rules only apply to national militaries, thus police forces and individuals can use frangible and expanding ammo to their hearts content.

The army on the other hand is restricted to Full Metal Jacket, AKA "Ball" ammunition in an "anti personnel" capacity.

Now you know how that Geneva thing works (and why it doesn't apply to you, should you decide to purchase this latest whiz-bang wundershiesse for your home or office).
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast