Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capsicum and related substances?

Regardless of delivery system, the best thing to remember about them is: results vary.

Be sure to have a plan 'b', 'c', and so on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 4:29pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Not sure if this belongs here or in Weapons Forum. I recently came across ads for pepper "guns," which shoot pepper spray but are configure to look more like pistols rather than the usual spray canisters. The advantage seems to be that they do not shoot an aerosol that is prone to dispersal. I imagine that, for those used to firearms, they'd also be easier to aim. Here is a model made by Mace products that is advertised to fire up to 7 blasts at a 20 foot range:

http://www.mace.com/mace-pepper-spra...-gun-pink.html

There is also a model made by Kimber. The Kimber pepper gun is smaller, but fires only 2 blasts and is not reusable, while the Mace model can be reloaded.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

Apparently these are in use by law enforcement agencies. Are there any LEOs or other Bullies that are familiar with the performance of these pistols? Any opinions on the design? They come in optional pink color that I see as an advantage, should you have one in your possession when the Five-Oh shows up.
    Instead of pepper spray look for pepper gel. It doesn't disperse in the wind so it doesn't get bystanders or blow back towards you and it is much harder for someone to wash it away.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 4:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    Instead of pepper spray look for pepper gel. It doesn't disperse in the wind so it doesn't get bystanders or blow back towards you and it is much harder for someone to wash it away.
    I've also heard that the gel is superior to spray for those reasons. I've been carrying a pepper spray kubotan with my car keys, but am not happy with the idea that it could blow back in my face:

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore...k-80337-p=3038

What caught my attention about these is that its not a spray but a stream that shoots in the 20ft range, which is comparable to the range of a large gel canister. Also, canisters tend to be either bulky and hard to conceal, or small and with limited range, whereas the Kimber pistol looks like a compact pistol -- something you could easily conceal and bring to bear quickly.

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread's gone a bit weird.

I did not start it, but offered the first response to the OP.

What's going on? I'm tearfully confused.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Thread's gone a bit weird.

I did not start it, but offered the first response to the OP.

What's going on? I'm tearfully confused.
    It got shifted to the weapons forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 10:11am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our agency used the OC stream. Even then we had situations where it could not be used due to windy conditions. Close contact and directing a OC stream into a face (eyes, nose and mouth target areas) is usually effective, but not everyone is incapacitated by OC. As previously mentioned, you should have a backup plan. Also, check your local laws regarding use of OC, concealing your OC delivery device and so on.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 10:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTedBear View Post
    Our agency used the OC stream. Even then we had situations where it could not be used due to windy conditions. Close contact and directing a OC stream into a face (eyes, nose and mouth target areas) is usually effective, but not everyone is incapacitated by OC. As previously mentioned, you should have a backup plan. Also, check your local laws regarding use of OC, concealing your OC delivery device and so on.
    Does gel perform better in windy conditions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2014 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somewhat. Our agency declined to convert to gel from spray. Main reason was distance to target capability. The spray has accuarate delivery at 11'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 10:27am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wanted to get some pepper balls then load them up in my paintball pistol and be the night avenger

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2014 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time I saw the OC balls in use, they were ineffecvtive after 20 yards. Unless they hit something hard enough to break them, they hit and bounced off the bad guy. Once they break and if you use enough of them, they work. I believe they are controlled pretty tight, not just anyone can purchase them. Did not see why they would not work in a regular paintgun, either.