Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2014 11:33am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Acupuncture points discovered through CT scans

http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture...uncture-points

Very interesting read for everyone; whether they "believe" in acupuncture or not. Every time you hit your "funny" bone, now you are actually hitting an acupuncture point that's been known about for >1000 years.

But remember, this still doesn't mean that everyone can learn "pressure point self defense" and be labeled "deadly." ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:02pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a chemist, so things like spectroscopy really interest me. When I tried to go to the journal so I could read the original article I couldn't find it.

Edit: I found it through the search, it's not listed in the articles in press because there have been recent corrections.
    Last edited by kamadul; 1/11/2014 6:14pm at .

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    I'm a chemist, so things like spectroscopy really interest me. When I tried to go to the journal so I could read the original article I couldn't find it.
    Oh it's a real study all right.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21479546

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19351976

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:29pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the paper they find two areas of vascular bundles in a rabbit hind limb and then assign it as the same meridians in humans. They offer no proof that this is the actual acupuncture point or that it correlates with human tissue. The vasculature that they assign as the pressure point also spans across other areas that they say are not part of the pressure point.

Essentially they took a picture of the limb and said "look, here's something different therefore pressure points exist," even though they never established that it was the pressure point. They also fail to account for the fact that it spans across a wide region that contains areas that are not supposed to be pressure points.
    Last edited by kamadul; 1/11/2014 6:34pm at .

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the paper they find two areas of vascular bundles in a rabbit hind limb and then assign it as the same meridians in humans. They offer no proof that this is the actual acupuncture point or that it correlates with human tissue. The vasculature that they assign as the pressure point also spans across other areas that they say are not part of the pressure point.

Essentially they took a picture of the limb and said "look, here's something different therefore pressure points exist," even though they never established that it was the pressure point. They also fail to account for the fact that it spans across a wide region that contains areas that are not supposed to be pressure points.
    Acupuncture point /= pressure point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Acupuncture point /= pressure point.
    That is what I meant. Sorry if I was being confusing by using the two terms interchangeably.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, thing is, most people believe in the "points " it's the claims behind "activating" meridians and "curing" cancer where the problems lie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 6:54pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    See, thing is, most people believe in the "points " it's the claims behind "activating" meridians and "curing" cancer where the problems lie.
    They kind of covered that in the introduction. They say something to the effect that the evidence of their existence has been proven anecdotally through traditional Chinese medicine and therefore they needed to find scientific proof. They also say that they are effective in treatment through the balancing of Qi energy. I really don't have any comments about that, but what the authors claimed they did not actually prove. They started with the conclusion and then went looking for something to back it up. It's not very scientific, even though it uses scientific tools.

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...They started with the conclusion and then went looking for something to back it up. It's not very scientific, even though it uses scientific tools.

Agreed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 7:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They kind of covered that in the introduction.
    You misunderstood what I wrote. The introduction isn't remotely addressing what you quoted.

I agree with your assessment on their bias.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast