Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 10:09am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Fussy Should I Be About Judo Pants?

Hey guys! I've been doing Judo for a few months now and, since my intention is to stick with it, my sensei has asked me to ditch my blue BJJ gi and get a white judo gi.

I found a smoking deal on used Mizuno gi top but I'll need pants to match. I doubt I'll be competing anytime soon but we randori (newaza and from standing) at every class so I'm wondering what quality of gi pants I should get. Will low end / generic pants cut it or should I spend bigger bucks on matching Mizuno pants?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 12:50pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheaper pants are probably fine, especially with the current rules restrictions of leg grabs. I've gone through a few jackets, but pants hold up better. Unless you do a ton of newaza, where the knees might start wearing, cheaper pants should be OK.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 2:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd get normal quality pants at this point. They should last a while unless you start practicing multiple times per week. Even then, the better pants can be pricey, and you might be able to get two cheaper pants for the price of the expensive ones.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would be an example of normal quality? I've seen judo pants as low as 14.99$ on seemingly reputable websites but I can't help but feel skeptical.

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 6:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    What would be an example of normal quality? I've seen judo pants as low as 14.99$ on seemingly reputable websites but I can't help but feel skeptical.
    Hsu, Mizuno, Toraki, other name brands should be OK. Hatashita sells several brands. By normal I mean practice quality, beginner quality is OK too. Judo pant are not all that thick these days, even the more expensive ones.

No elastic, though, make sure the pants (zubon in Japanese) have drawstrings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of Hsu until now!

Looks like the guy selling the used jackets has disappeared so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. Based on what I see on the websites for retailers based in Canada, it would appear that the most reasonable deal for an entry-level white gi would be from Toraki:

https://www.toraki.com/us/en/asp/dep...CTS.asp?id=210

(I wear a size 5 or 6 depending on the brand.)

An entry level gi from Hsu and an entry level Keiko gi from Jukado both wind up being around 70$, an entry level Fuji from Hatashita.ca winds up close to 90$, Fushida doesn't make an entry level gi in my size so the base price for the next model up in my size would be 100$+, Mizunos are well over 100$ everywhere online and the Canadian places that carry entry level Adidas gis don't have them in my size.

Any opinions on that Toraki for a rookie Judoka who train 1-2 times per week?

Are there other brands or shops I should consider? (Keep in mind that I'm in Canada.)

Thanks!

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 11:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Toraki will do fine. So would the HSU.

You won't be busting any seams anytime soon, and judogi are sewable (to repair if necessary), being made of cotton cloth.

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 1:10pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding Toraki - their top-line stuff is really stiff but also very good quality. Haven't seen the entry level stuff but I expect it to be much more suitable for a beginner. Good service from them, recommended.

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 2:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Regarding Toraki - their top-line stuff is really stiff but also very good quality. Haven't seen the entry level stuff but I expect it to be much more suitable for a beginner. Good service from them, recommended.
    I'm wear a Toraki next to top (silver?) of line judogi/pants. They are a nice compromise. I had a top of line from them back in late 90s. It was a great uniform...the pants were very heavy. They don't make the pants like that anymore, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2014 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this an actual aikido gi or is this a judo gi that someone was using for aikido?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ544440732
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast