Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/07/2014 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clearly IBJJF rules lead to a bizarre mirror-world leg-lock game, but your'e hating on the player here when that player is clearly awesome and has a fun beard.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2014 7:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    It's not his suggestion for step 1 of the blue belt curriculum, people who want to win high level competitions are often going to have rule-set specific stuff. When your students enter SAMBO competitions do suggest they maybe try not to land on their back because it gives up points, or do you suggest picture-perfect break-falls because that would be safer on concrete?
    Not hating the player...hating his game.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 10:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not his suggestion for step 1 of the blue belt curriculum, people who want to win high level competitions are often going to have rule-set specific stuff. When your students enter SAMBO competitions do suggest they maybe try not to land on their back because it gives up points, or do you suggest picture-perfect break-falls because that would be safer on concrete?
    Poor analogy. Actually, most good break falls put you on your side, not flat on your back (with the exception of back falls), but to answer your question, yes, I tell me students to fall properly, protect themselves, and live to fight another day. Better to not get caught in a throw in the first place.

A better analogy to the OP video would be actively teaching students to post their arms to defend throws rather than properly falling, which MANY high level judo, sambo and BJJ players do in order to prevent the throw points to be scored (or because they have not mastered falling). Would I do this? No. I am not gonna teach people unsound technique so they can get a few more points...and possibly get hurt in the process.
    And, yes, I am not hating on the player. I am hating on the game and what it pushes players to do.

Hey, I get that people dedicate their entire game and development to IBJJF rules. Go for it, but I don't buy for a second that any high level player "has" to go in a direction away from universally sound technique to win. I just don't think it is necessary. I would never teach my guys to put themselves in a position of danger, just to get out of danger (unless it is totally necessary and there is no other option). Like noted above: giving up a heel hook to escape a position just because you know your opponent is not permitted to take advantage it, things like that are a very bad idea and build bad habits.

PointyShinBurn, you still have not commented on the video from my original post and what you think of it. Would you teach this to your students?
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 11:13am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    PointyShinBurn, you still have not commented on the video from my original post and what you think of it. Would you teach this to your students?
    If I had any students? No, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't have any Mundials medals prospects amongst them (for this and many other reasons). And I wouldn't bitch anyone out for showing it to somebody else either.

It's such small beer, anyway. 99% of BJJ players on the planet have been taught to jump closed guard, which is dangerous against an untrained opponent in a BJJ match, not just highly-advanced Eastern Block leglockers in the kumite.

How far do you take this principle? Should Judo players grip fight with their hands up in case of sudden left hooks?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 4:33pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I had any students? No, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't have any Mundials medals prospects amongst them (for this and many other reasons). And I wouldn't bitch anyone out for showing it to somebody else either.

It's such small beer, anyway. 99% of BJJ players on the planet have been taught to jump closed guard, which is dangerous against an untrained opponent in a BJJ match, not just highly-advanced Eastern Block leglockers in the kumite.

How far do you take this principle? Should Judo players grip fight with their hands up in case of sudden left hooks?
    Actually we should all grapple with body armor on. You never know when a concealed weapon may appear
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 6:28pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, when I teach leg locks, I teach my students to break their arms simultaneously so they don't have to deal with weaponry. Today's lesson was a knee bar/arm break

Anyways, in my eyes, series like this aren't legit to teach, because you WILL break your leg if the other person isn't playing around. It's one thing to teach a neutral technique that's less effective, another to encourage people to roll into heel hooks. In my BJJ (as opposed to sub grappling) classes, I teach straight ankles instead of heel hooks. You will never see a boot though, because the reap exists.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123