Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 3:44am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

David Kunz Misrepresenting himself. Again!

First of all I just want to say hello all this is my first post here and I've had to take a long hard think about posting it but I feel it must be done.

The issue I am bringing up is one David Kunz. This story takes place in the San Bernardino Mountains, CA. This man was my first instructor back when he claimed to teach JKD, I happen to know (now) he had no credentials to teach anything other than TKD that he could ever produce. I became an assistant intructor for him and worked at his school for 6 months and was never paid despite his constant promise to pay me for working at said school. He got many students parents to pay in advance. Sometimes up to 3 years in advance! He spent all the money then dropped the school and left me holding the bag. As in showing up to the school 3 nights in a row waiting outside with the parents for him to show up. All the while he assured me on the phone he would be there. He ripped off a lot of money from many people including myself. I am telling this story because I recently learned he is again teaching in the SBD mountains as well as Apple valley. He calls his school Puma Youth Corp. He is claiming now to teach MMA. I cannot abide him using martial arts as his con tool of choice. So I figure you guys might be the right place to get some help. Here is his website http://www.pumayouthcorp.com/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 1:36pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The website is certainly....interesting, I will say that. "Academy of Mixed Martial Arts and Aviation Instruction", huh? That is a new combination I must say. But hey, whatever does it for you.

So after a quick glance he appears to make a number of claims that should be verifiable if you are interested, including military service as an MP, being a cop, and holding black belt/sash in several styles. He also makes some other claims that are a bit more "colorful" like his growing up in the "backyard wars" where every training session ended in bloodshed, and his fighting over in Korea and fighting/placing first (with no details given) at the Ku Kiwon.

Also, the sparring videos are terrible. Neither one of them show virtually ANY sparring, and what they do show isn't terribly impressive even to someone with only a casual familiarity with JKD/TKD etc. The second video actually shows almost no sparring period, but instead enthralls the viewer with footage of someone (I don't think it is the instructor) trying to move the mats back into place with his foot. Seriously. Then the sparring recommences and he throws two or three terrible kicks, and seems to fall down virtually on his own. For someone who says they put a lot of emphasis on tournament fighting and sparring, I would expect something a little better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 2:08pm

Style: Reality Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dragon,

A couple of things first:

He lists instructors names, can they be verified in anyway? Besides by pictures, did he have certifications posted on his walls?

Is he originally from CA? There are 2 listings on Military.com that show his name, One in AZ and the other in VA.

Where is he a Police Officer, Is he still one? He steals money and you dont go to that said authority and make a complaint? Did anyone?

He Did actually write an article in Inside Kung Fu on said subject as it posts in his bio as well: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/...hp?article=451

I think we need to know what really happened, do you have any emails of proof that he just got off and left, Did he file Bankruptcy?

I think if we get a little more information it would be helpful to everyone.

-zipit777

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only certification I ever saw was his one for TKD. I know at one point he had Tim Tacket do a few seminars and he tried to get Tacket to give him a cert in JKD which Tacket politely refused to do. I never saw any other proof of his background.

I have no idea about where or when he would have been a police officer. For all his boasting he was and still is very shady about any kind of supporting information of his claims. As for the money he stole I do not know if any of the parents of the students went after him. I suggested that they should but I have since lost contact with them and have no idea if anything was done. I did not take any legal action myself because while I was assisting him I never was an official employee and we never made anything more than a verbal contract about him paying me, damn was a dumb and trusting :) I also do not know if he filed for bankruptcy. He had the school in his wifes name at any rate. I have no emails from him I actually only found out what he was doing when his wife answered the phone instead of him and spilled the beans not knowing that I was not suppose to know what was going on. I sadly have little information at this point to provide other than my own account and recollections. I may have a "man on the inside" that I will be calling today but I don't know how much help he will be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 3:37pm

Style: Reality Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem facing anyone, but there needs to be proof, evidence, and facts. Last thing I want to be is "WRONG" and embarrassed. I will be glad to help for I have been in the position you are in with another former business partner, so I know how it feels. To bad I live so far away from this guy....
    Im sure a lot on these guys and gals on these posts would like to take a trip to a school or two and either teach someone manners or to clear lies up, but Im sure you can see we would need more...So far but the police account is accurate.

As far as MMA, anyone can teach it, dont mean they are qualified...Just like a BJJ guy who doesnt do Mauy Thai or a good kicking school, has just the same right. Doesnt mean its any good, But MMA will turn into "only the good schools and instructors will survive".

If you get anything else please feel free to share...In summary, it "looks" like he was in the military, he states he "trained with Tim and all the other guys, keep us posted if you come up with anything.

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand your position. That is why its so frustrating for me. He is the worst kind of con man he doesn't care who he screws or lies to but there isn't much short of going up there and beating the tar out of him (I have considered that) that I can do about it. One example of the kind of tricks he pulls if you read the webpage you may have noticed he claims to be a non-profit. Yet he also has a price scale from $10 a class to $120 a month. This is a trick he uses so schools will let him advertise to their students. I'm hoping that the detectives here can help pull some skeletons out of his closet because I don't have the resources to do so on my own. If I get anything useful I will let you know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 10:10pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok who was he going against in his first sparring video, looks like a 15 year old kid to me. If that was one of his black belts in the second sparring video....? wtf.....

Posted On:
    2/18/2010 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I have some good news to report! Apparently Kunz is closing his Arrowhead school. Due in large part to my meddling I might add. :D I was able to get the word out about him in the mountain community and one of my students joined his school and pretty quickly called him on his bullshit. Plus he aparently played to rough for the other students, I'm kinda pleased by that too. I don't know anything about the Apple Valley school but at least he is out of Arrowhead. I will be getting the details from my student Saturday. Good times.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, a new MMA instructor has moved into town. It sounds like the same guy. If so, he is now operating as TaeJeetKungPoDo in Emmett Idaho. He has a facebook page. (I cannot post a link). Would you search for him on FB and let me know if it is the same guy?

Posted On:
    6/18/2013 6:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David kunz opened another school in Emmett Idaho the name was tae jeet knug po Do ..He know has skipped town saying him and his wife are getting divorced and he needed all of us to pay a few months ahead, the next week he then told us he had to go to calf. for a few weeks to earn enough money for the school because his wife left him nothing.... well needless to say he has never returned and has all of our money .200.00 to over 600.00 we are all mad and want to know what we can do about this so he doesn't do it again ....I looked up his business name at the better business bureau and it shows nothing ...please anyone help .. and so you know he want back to calf. too live
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast