Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 8:28pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will fully admit that when Starrett goes banging on about "Its not about stretching, its about getting into a position and organizing n ****" (not actual quote) I basically said "so its yoga with lacrosse balls?"

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/22/2014 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used tennis balls (1 or 2 in a sock) to roll out "trigger points", as well as the fancier "yoga balls", and various foam rolls as well. They all work reasonably well, but I also found that "real stretching", is necessary.

Cool story, 'bro, time...

I did yoga for 7-8 years on a daily basis, usually 3 -4 times/week in a "formal" class that I was paying for, and of course at home and before I worked out in the gym, ran, biked, or trained Judo. This was beginning at the age of 27, I believe, when I was still in grad school, living in New Orleans.

I had been doing Judo since I was 17. I had also been stretching a lot, mostly in Judo class, and was a lot more flexible than the average guy walking around. However, I had some serious neck and upper back pain, and had been going to the chiropractor for a while (make that a few years). She could get me straightened out, but I'd just mess myself up at Judo all over again.

Finally the good Dr. exasperatingly told me that I was never going to get "well" until I worked on my whole body. Her words were something to the effect of (and imagine a tiny Austrian woman speaking good but moderately accented English) "You need to go and do Yoga with Alvina (Haverkamp...RIP 2012, I just found out...damn...I had to stop for a while in mid post when I googled her and found out).

Her studio was in the same building. Amazingly, the chiro told me to stop coming to see her and go do yoga...and I had damned good insurance at the time too...

So I went, and found out that I just thought I was flexible. To cut to the chase, the yoga I did was all about finding the balance of strength and flexibility, not about ultimate flexibility. Alvina was also a ballerina and dance teacher. She would have made a great judo coach, LOL. I got so sore from just stretching and working muscles against muscles I felt like I had been lifting weights.

But it was addictive, because it worked. After a month, I was feeling better. After 2 months, something that had been locked up in my upper back that had given me pain for years and neck let go in a seated twist, and I almost passed out with relief. I mean, I had tears in my eyes it felt so good.

Anyway, I started doing yoga at home, before and after Judo, before and after riding my bike, lifting weights, when I got up in the morning, at work, you name it. Because it felt so damned good.

It got to where I didn't feel normal if I didn't do yoga. This was a good thing, let me tell you, not like heroin, LOL !

Which was a bit of a problem at times with Judo. Because you can be too relaxed, or at least I could. Judo, at least at the level I did/do it, it a combat sport, so a certain amount of aggression is necessary, a certain amount of springiness, explosiveness (Mifune myths aside) is good to have.

After doing 30 minutes of yoga before Judo, I was kinda very relaxed, LOL.

It was great for ne waza, though. I could get into odd positions and be comfortable, slip around like a greased snake.

Throwing, not horrible, but I had to get myself into a more "excited" state to perform up to par (for me at least).

So, yeah, do yoga if you can. Give at least 3 months of steady practice. Enjoy the hot babes/guys if there are any (and there should be). It will help you out if you stick with it. I had to laugh a lot, I was the only conservative guy in there, the only martial artist as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2014 2:44pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I've used tennis balls (1 or 2 in a sock) to roll out "trigger points", as well as the fancier "yoga balls", and various foam rolls as well. They all work reasonably well, but I also found that "real stretching", is necessary.
    The tennis ball trick helped me through some nasty back pain on multiple occasions and I didn't even know what I was doing. I did some stretching too though. I think both methods complement each other quite well. Oh and I really should get a foam roller.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, yeah, do yoga if you can. Give at least 3 months of steady practice. Enjoy the hot babes/guys if there are any (and there should be). It will help you out if you stick with it. I had to laugh a lot, I was the only conservative guy in there, the only martial artist as well.

Well sadly the yoga class collides with the BJJ training so no yoga for me for now.

I sure believe yoga can be quite effective. I mean I do the fancy qi gong stuff and some of that helped me quite a lot. Though the problem with qi gong is that it is very hard to push yourself and very easy to cheat yourself with.

Still an inspirational and good story nonetheless.

Oh and I ended up incorporating some of the workouts of Dr Spina. Like that stuff.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123