Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    This is actually the main problem I have with the book and with the MWOD stuff. There is definitely some good information there. (Tthe fundamental movement pattern stuff is good.) I also don't I think he says anything that is that wrong. (Other than some of the we cured this cronic problem in a day stuff.) The problem for me is that I completely phase out before he can ever get to his point.

He could have put that **** into a 5 page pamphlet, and it would have been great. Very hard to charge 70 for a pamphlet though - which is what Supple Leopard would cost if you bought it new in the shop across from my office.

I agree with Anoop's criticisms, but yes, the sheer volume of "overwrought prose" is probably the hardest thing to get by.

Please tell me you also bought voodoo bands.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Please tell me you also bought voodoo bands.
    Sorry bro, but they were a step too far.

The flossing and banded distraction things never made any sense to me. Are they supported at all by the non-Crossfit crowd?

By the way one of the cool things since getting Leopard, is I can spot all the people in the gym who buy into it. The rugby club at my university got a new S&C coach who I recon is big into it, and they are all sitting around the place using the barbells to roll out their trigger points.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 2:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry bro, but they were a step too far.

The flossing and banded distraction things never made any sense to me. Are they supported at all by the non-Crossfit crowd?
    Nice touch.
    Yeah, but bicycle inner-tubes are what $5?

By the way one of the cool things since getting Leopard, is I can spot all the people in the gym who buy into it. The rugby club at my university got a new S&C coach who I recon is big into it, and they are all sitting around the place using the barbells to roll out their trigger points.
    I think you mean "we"?

As for the lazy OP (searchfunkshunnewb!!1),
    this is a good primer:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 4:14pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used a combo of Starret's "couch stretch" (I am sure he didn't invent it, its just where I got it from) and Spina's question mark position in his hip opening sequence last night and they both helped me.

I get why Starret's style of wordiness would be irritating. I don't mind but I am long winded too. As long as it works I don't really care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 7:33pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get better at moves, you need to practice those moves specifically.

Stretching can kind of help a little (maybe), but if you start directly drilling the stuff you want to improve, you'll progress much quicker.
    Sounds about right and that is how I handed it last year. Just that lots of people talk about the importance of flexibility and I am still at an age where its not so hard to improve and I kind of scared to regret not having done enough later.

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    As for the lazy OP (searchfunkshunnewb!!1),
    this is a good primer:

I am quite glad I took the 45 minutes and watched that. Though I am confused. So increasing the range of motion of an muscle can decrease the power that muscle can use in the original range of motion. So there is really a trade off between flexibility and power after all? I thought that was just some pseudoscience. My head hurts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 7:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, here you go there are links to the two recent studies and his previous article on stretching.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-r...ly-conflicting

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    So in 2013 I started BJJ, started lifting and even improved my eating habits.
    Time to make goals for 2014. Best to start with the worst.

Stretching. I fucking hate it. Seriously. I have patience for everything but stretching.

We do a bit of stretching in BJJ class but just as part of warm up and not enough to really progress.

Now if I try to do it at home, I always think I need to properly warm up. Problem is the little warm up escalates to an full blown work out. Or in the middle of the stretching, I remember that technique I need to work on. Well you get the idea.

So I need you guys to give me the ultimate stretching routine. Grappling specific is a plus. Should include the most important things that need to be stretched. Dynamic and Static. Just a "Do this **** every day and shut the **** up. Seriously shut up". Reasonably long. No long warm up required. Idiot proof. No excuses.

Sure you can look at up good routines online but hearing from you guys motivates more. And yes I have read some older threads on stretching.

Oh and as a back-story: One of the reasons I hate stretching is probably because in the past I never progressed much and when I did I was too eager and injured myself. Mostly cause of lack of knowledge about proper stretching, I guess.
    I seriously suggest you find a yoga class with a lot of hot yoga babes or guys if you swing that way. It is good motivation ! Then you find yoga really works, and you have even more motivation.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/19/2014 12:17am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've started yoga for the flexibility, I'll do a thread in a few weeks on efficacy. I'm also the only dude doing it, yep.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 2:09pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My tl;dr on stretching is as follows:

If you need to get into certain positions and you can't, then stretching may help. It's more likely to help by practicing controlling your new ranges of motion after the fact. Stretching without practicing the changes it allows for is kind of a waste of time. Being that's the case, practicing the positions you want to be in is the most efficient use of time if you're only going to do one thing. The power loss thing is not a cause for concern unless you're at the elite level of competition, in which case there's a chance of it, but that's unclear. Stretching can feel nice and that's important too.

Also Kelly Starrett says something factually incorrect nearly every time he opens his mouth.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/21/2014 12:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I've started yoga for the flexibility, I'll do a thread in a few weeks on efficacy. I'm also the only dude doing it, yep.
    I can testify as to the efficacy of yoga. Only caveat is you need to be in a class that involves more than sitting around chanting "Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ".

With all the more athletic variations of yoga around today that usually isn't too hard to find.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast