Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 5:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Keep working on integrating shin on shin sitting guard into my game, especially gi.
    Curious on what you are using your shin on shin guard to setup. I use it for 1 Leg X, X guard and Deep Half Guard with a lot of success lately.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Curious on what you are using your shin on shin guard to setup. I use it for 1 Leg X, X guard and Deep Half Guard with a lot of success lately.
    The two videos below inspired me to start using situp guard as a counter to standing passes instead of DLR/RDLR since I don't have the long flexible legs to make it mega effective against the best guys.

I've been doing single leg takedown if they retreat, shin on shin butterfly sweep to ankle pick if they try to knee slice, and I'll do deep half or a regular ankle pick if they square up.

This way all angles of attack are covered. Forward pressure, retreating, and trying to stabilize or square up. Most Jiu Jitsu guys aren't as good wrestlers as I am so it plays well into my single leg game.

(talks about benefits of shin on shin)

(Talks about the angles of attack)

Oh I tend to favor either the farside sleeve grip or the near side lapel. If you grab the farside sleeve with shin on shin they try to kneeslice more, feeding into the butterfly hook sweep into single, which makes it easier than to try and move their weight if they want to sit there and grip fight.
    Last edited by DKJr; 1/04/2014 2:40pm at .

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 3:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    The two videos below inspired me to start using situp guard as a counter to standing passes instead of DLR/RDLR since I don't have the long flexible legs to make it mega effective against the best guys.

I've been doing single leg takedown if they retreat, shin on shin butterfly sweep to ankle pick if they try to knee slice, and I'll do deep half or a regular ankle pick if they square up.

This way all angles of attack are covered. Forward pressure, retreating, and trying to stabilize or square up. Most Jiu Jitsu guys aren't as good wrestlers as I am so it plays well into my single leg game.

(talks about benefits of shin on shin)

(Talks about the angles of attack)

Oh I tend to favor either the farside sleeve grip or the near side lapel. If you grab the farside sleeve with shin on shin they try to kneeslice more, feeding into the butterfly hook sweep into single, which makes it easier than to try and move their weight if they want to sit there and grip fight.
    I do like to play RDLR and invert into X, however I found shin on shin to block them from splitting my legs in seated guard is a far better solution with a lot less risk and save the RDLR for times I miss getting my shin into position. I am not a good wrestler so if I come up on the single I usually sit straight into 1LX.

I look forward to hear about your exploration of the position.

Michelle Nicolini was at our academy a year or so ago. I really liked her guard work.
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/04/2014 3:27pm at .

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 7:20pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want another usable forward throw, so I'm going to take something I'm ok with in nagekomi and work on it more in randori.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just realized that this is the advanced grappling forum and that my post was therefore a shitpost, sorry.

to be *specific*, this year i will be trying to work on the following:

* maintain posture in randori. lead my movement with my hips, and relax, moving into opportunities to enter when they present themselves. use unpredictable changes of direction to get inside on uke.

* fix my harai goshi - i'm not getting my weight squarely onto my support leg during the entry, and therefore i botch the execution of the throw. need to fix that in uchikomi & nagekomi.

* tune up my yoko tomoe nage - get better at using it on both sides, there's a guy in the dojo who throws to his collar grip side (not normal to do this) and when uke posts that arm (the reason the other side is the normal side is that you have sleeve control and uke can't post) he moves into juji gatame on that arm. very slick arm bar entry, so i am trying to learn that.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12