Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 11:07pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bladed Hand/FMA Documentaries

Who in the FMA community has seen "The Bladed Hand"? What did you think? What other FMA documentaries can you recommend? Why are they worth watching especially to non FMA-ers?

Personally, I've seen "The Bladed Hand" once and got all dorked out and talked half through the movie. (I rarely get to talk FMA, my wife has to hear enough). I really liked it and think it did FMA a service. What didn't I like? As an FMA practitioner specifically a Balintawak practitioner I found some of the content blasphemous (in a terribly dorky FMA way). Specifically a segment from one of the Atillos who stated that he was the last surviving member of the original Balintawak group. First, how do define a Balintawak original? Second WTF? Definitions aside there are at minimum two more Balintawak players who undoubtedly can claim "Original" status in my book and other contenders as well. I've read some outrageous claims from Atillo before, but I haven't really discussed it much with my fellow Balintawaks so I may just need some education. This mention is way beyond most BS members interest and hopefully isn't a mistake on my part by mentioning it. My point is first "The Bladed Hand" was badass! ...and second just because you see it in a documentary doesn't make it truth.

Another great FMA documentary? The old BBC documentary "The Way Of The Warrior". The series follows many MAs but the Eskrima segment (the first of its' kind?) was excellent. Another honorable mention was the Sonny Umpad interview that was somehow related to the Dog Bros. Again both great sources!
    Last edited by jspeedy; 12/31/2013 11:20pm at .

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 1:08am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also Pappy Dog's "Kali Means to Scrape" which is sort of unfortunate. He goes to the PI to find any art named Kali being taught, talks to a few guys, finds nothing.

The guy who served as his 'ambassador' struck me as the kind who'd say "you wanna see some eskrima? No, kali? Oh sure, I know some kali guys."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 5:42am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen "Eskrimadors"? Its certainly interesting, if a bit Cebu-centric and somewhat Doce Pares propaganda-ish.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    There's also Pappy Dog's "Kali Means to Scrape" which is sort of unfortunate. He goes to the PI to find any art named Kali being taught, talks to a few guys, finds nothing.

The guy who served as his 'ambassador' struck me as the kind who'd say "you wanna see some eskrima? No, kali? Oh sure, I know some kali guys."
    The old guy with the jelly fish arm was pretty interesting. It's also interesting to see those old guys hobble out and whip the stick around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 9:43pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    The old guy with the jelly fish arm was pretty interesting. It's also interesting to see those old guys hobble out and whip the stick around.
    Oh yeah, the old guy who had survived a knife fight but lost the use of his arm. That was the part that I cringed through but found really interesting, really solidified in me the idea that you may have to sacrifice an arm to save your neck.

The translator guy was touching the old guys arm, lifting it for the camera to see, he was getting really impatient towards the end of the interview, He was repeating "enough, I've had enough" in tagalog (no subtitles).

Then they got him to stand up and display some knife skills, he starts pressing in to the translator guy doing low jabbing thrusts with the kitchen knife, the translator guy nervously in tagalog "whoa, what about you show some of the fancy flowing angles, forms, etc..", the old guy's losing his patience again "you do it this way or you end up dead".

Note: It's been awhile since I watched it, but from what I remember that was the general gist of what was being said.
    Last edited by wikidbounce; 1/01/2014 10:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at work so I can't spend time looking for the video, but there is some great black and white ARNIS footage from a short (maybe 5 minutes) 1950s French documentary that I saw online a few days ago.

I'll try and post it when I get home.

If you don't mind the French narration it's a cool inside look of Post War life in a Filipino village including kids practicing sticks with the older masters, I wonder if any of those kids are still teaching today.
    Last edited by wikidbounce; 1/01/2014 10:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 11:57pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    I'm at work so I can't spend time looking for the video, but there is some great black and white ARNIS footage from a short (maybe 5 minutes) 1950s French documentary that I saw online a few days ago.

I'll try and post it when I get home.

If you don't mind the French narration it's a cool inside look of Post War life in a Filipino village including kids practicing sticks with the older masters, I wonder if any of those kids are still teaching today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2014 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's the video. The one I saw was of much clearer quality but did not have the English subtitles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 9:22pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen segments of this guy on youtube covering different flavors of fma. Does anyone know the of the show/documentary?

Posted On:
    1/08/2014 10:49pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    I've seen segments of this guy on youtube covering different flavors of fma. Does anyone know the of the show/documentary?
    One of my kung fu brothers is an acquaintance of Chris Crudelli. The nearest medical assistance for the guy who cut his arm was several hours away ... and was a veterinarian. Did a good job stitching him up, apparently.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast