Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 8:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tarpein's Dojo, Moline IL and Davenport IA, legit BJJ black belt?

Hey everyone, so I currently train with Team Choco Okinawa Japan and will be headed back to the states soon. I have been searching for a BJJ place to train in the area that I will be living and there was only one place. The place I found is called Tarpein's Dojo in Moline IL and one in davenport IA. The instructor there is a guy named Travis Tarpein who who is supposedly a black belt in some type of karate and a black belt in BJJ. His website says he is part of the Carlson Gracie Jr team out of Chicago, IL. All seems good but I have searched over and over trying to find information on this guy and I can't find anything other then a few Facebook comments and his own website. No YouTube videos, nothing on any of the Gracie websites, nothing! Supposedly he is a black belt under Jeff Neal. I have not been able to meet Travis or to sit in on any of his classes, so I can't say anything negative about him, but it just concerns me that he is kind of a ghost. If any one can help me it would be great, thanks in advance.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 9:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHackett View Post
    Hey everyone, so I currently train with Team Choco Okinawa Japan and will be headed back to the states soon. I have been searching for a BJJ place to train in the area that I will be living and there was only one place. The place I found is called Tarpein's Dojo in Moline IL and one in davenport IA. The instructor there is a guy named Travis Tarpein who who is supposedly a black belt in some type of karate and a black belt in BJJ. His website says he is part of the Carlson Gracie Jr team out of Chicago, IL. All seems good but I have searched over and over trying to find information on this guy and I can't find anything other then a few Facebook comments and his own website. No YouTube videos, nothing on any of the Gracie websites, nothing! Supposedly he is a black belt under Jeff Neal. I have not been able to meet Travis or to sit in on any of his classes, so I can't say anything negative about him, but it just concerns me that he is kind of a ghost. If any one can help me it would be great, thanks in advance.

Did you email Carlson's school in Chicago?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2014 8:52am

Style: Chito-Ryu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff Neil is listed as a Junior black belt:
    http://carlsongraciefederation.com/blackbelts.html

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think somebody would claim a false affiliation to a Gracie that is that close to them. To me, it looks like a clear lineage.

Just because they don't post a lot of stuff all over the internet, doesn't mean that they are not legit. My own instructor is a 2nd Degree under Junior, and he doesn't like social media. You'll find next to nothing if you google him, but he's legit. He recieved his black belt, and all of his degrees, from Junior.

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 8:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Travis is a black belt under Jeff Neal. Jeff was at the Moline school yesterday for a seminar.

You can find the current academy page by searching for Tarpein's Dojo on Facebook.

Quad Cities Bettendorf/Moline/Davenport/RockIsland

Posted On:
    10/26/2014 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHackett View Post
    Hello - yes I am real, And anyone can come in and see with their own eyes. Take a class and see for yourself. The BJJ world is very small and all people that are trying to say they are one thing and really another are proven as fakes and frauds rather quickly. Sorry I dont have a YouTube page showing the latest Berimbilo set ups and counters. I guess I am too busy teaching bjj and running my academies. Also sorry for the late response, about a year late. But now I am on Twitter instagram also youtube facebook and Tumblr so have at it buddy.