Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with performance anxiety

A study published by the American Psychological Association found that people who tell themselves to get excited rather than to relax can improve their performance during anxiety-inducing activities. As applied to MA scenarios, this advice is contrary to some of the conventional TMA wisdom that I’ve heard over the years, that facing an opponent, one should strive to stay emotionally calm – the “be like water” schtick. The study suggests instead that the best way to handle pre-performance anxiety is to reframe it as positive excitement, rather than try to suppress it.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-12-anxiety-calm.html

This makes some sense, as you are using the adrenaline dump to your advantage rather than fighting against it. On the other hand, its possible that while “getting pumped up” may be an effective antidote to fear, it compromises judgment and motor coordination. What’s the opinion out there ? Particularly for those Bullies who coach others – when your fighter tells you that he’s worried about the match, do you try to calm him own, or try to pump him up emotionally?
    “A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools.” ― Thucydides

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    A study published by the American Psychological Association found that people who tell themselves to get excited rather than to relax can improve their performance during anxiety-inducing activities. As applied to MA scenarios, this advice is contrary to some of the conventional TMA wisdom that I’ve heard over the years, that facing an opponent, one should strive to stay emotionally calm – the “be like water” schtick. The study suggests instead that the best way to handle pre-performance anxiety is to reframe it as positive excitement, rather than try to suppress it.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-12-anxiety-calm.html

This makes some sense, as you are using the adrenaline dump to your advantage rather than fighting against it. On the other hand, its possible that while “getting pumped up” may be an effective antidote to fear, it compromises judgment and motor coordination. What’s the opinion out there ? Particularly for those Bullies who coach others – when your fighter tells you that he’s worried about the match, do you try to calm him own, or try to pump him up emotionally?
    It's a fine line to tread, being too excited vs not excited enough. That "perfect" state will vary from person to person, in my experience as a coach and personally.

Some people function well under a lot of stress and high levels of arousal (not making a joke, guys), others perform well while remaining cool, calm, and collected. It can also be a function of how well trained the person is too.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 9:55pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm very comfortable in front of a crowd, never met a microphone I didn't like, so I do feel that positive adrenaline in the moment - getting up to fight is just a different kind of performance, y'know?

It's a month prior to that, that I get the shakes.

I wonder if joining something like Toastmasters would be an offbeat way to deal with pre-fight jitters?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 12:36am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I wonder if joining something like Toastmasters would be an offbeat way to deal with pre-fight jitters?
    I guess it depends on what kinds of things make a person nervous. My approach to performances like appearing in public and job interviews is to prepare what I have to say til I get really tired of it -- so I guess that's more like trying to calm it down. I'd probably do the same at Toastmasters. I've gotten nervous before sparring sometimes, but I found that once it gets going I'm in the present and there's no time to think about what's going to happen.
    “A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools.” ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 1:26am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that I try to focus the energy, tell myself that I won't be able to stop the adrenaline dump, but when it comes I will be able to use it to my advantage. That self dialogue is both reminding me to relax, but also that I should be prepared for a rush. Either that helps in slowing the dump, or it helps in dealing with it. I don't know but it works. I'm using two examples here, the time I MCd for a fight show and also my fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience anything that will calm my heart rate down helps me focus. I listen to relaxing music, talk myself down and try to downplay the importance of the event in my head. I tried the "getting pumped" approach back in the day with disastrous consequences