Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    I always think that to myself when I am at my gym. I see young kids training extremely hard and wonder what MMA is going to look like in another 20 years when all of the athletes have been doing MMA since kindergarten.
    It's gonna be amazing.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to youtube and search for muay thai broken leg. It's not as rare as you are trying to make it out to be.

For instance;

dude you can find a shitload of videos of almost anything on the internet. there are 6 billion people on this planet. how many kickboxing, muay thai and mma matches happen around the globe every year? god fucking knows. and how many of them end in a leg snap? **** all, as proved by the handful of results that show up on the tube. go away, troll. it is a freak occurence.

Im actually kinda surprised this was something "new" that weidman had been doing. a staple of kickboxing check technique is to do exactly what he was talking about. throwing a leg kick the way silva and a lot of other fighters is a slightly risky way to do it, but its also faster. had he done a full turning over kick i doubt it would have broken. thats how most thais throw it.

again though, total freak accident. the rarity of it means you really cant read much into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 4:55pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I'm sure she knew better than that but I think Rousey hurt her with punches. Rousey's striking forced her into desperation mode and it was all over from there.
    When my friends and I were watching we were wondering the same thing. It seemed like the striking exchanges were pretty even, but what else could explain Tate constantly clinching throughout the fight? There is just no way an elite MMA fighter would gameplan to face their opponent in their strongest area. Especially when they are an olympic medalist in that area.

Brandao vs Poirier was exciting, but hot damn, Brandao seems to have a small frame for featherweight and he came in only a couple pounds away from the lightweight limit. He really needs to get his act together, because he is exciting and has the potential to be a top ten featherweight. Dustin Porier, meanwhile, seems to be constantly improving, as you would expect from someone who is 24 years old. Props to him for a solid win. Maybe a rematch with Korean Zombie is in order, or perhaps a match with Dennis Siver?

Uriah Hall looked like hes still nervous about being in the cage. He started out strong and that counter toward the end of the round that let him beat up Leben was beautiful. He seemed too afraid to engage throughout the round, however. One could argue it was a part of him using a Machida-esque "keep running away, then when your opponent starts getting frustrated, occasionally land a couple shots, then keep running away, rinse, repeat" strategy. But even when he had openings on Leben, who tends to stalk forward swinging recklessly, he often opted to throw a single, half power shot then continue running. Granted, it did definitely pay off in the end.

I never heard of Michael Johnson before his match against Lauzon, but he has looked excellent in these last two fights. He has some of the best footwork and body shots in the division that I've seen. I think he has it in him to be a contender, but I'd need to see him get tested more to be sure.

Finally, wow, that main event. What a shame for arguably the best UFC fighter of all time, and indisputably the best MMA striker and middleweight of all time, to end his career that way. My friends and I had been rowdy the whole night, but when we saw Silva collapse to the mat, writhing in pain, there was this somber air that immediately took over the room.

Also, poor Chris Weidman. Now people will always cast doubt as to whether or not he truly deserves the middleweight championship. My take on it is that he beat Silva in the first fight for not falling for his antics and caught him. This time around, Weidman won the first round, and the second was pretty even until this happened. Props to Weidman practicing so many leg checks, because even if it was a freak injury that ended the match, it came about as a result of Weidman and his camp catching a hole in Weidman's game and fixing it. But this rematch wasn't nearly conclusive enough for my tastes, even if it is a moot point.

I'm glad we got to see the Spider reign as long as we did. He was an entertaining, innovative, and intelligent fighter and it'll be a while before we see someone like that again.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So either aiming for the calf, sides, or head will lessen the likely-hood of me being checked and losing a leg? Should I try to kick parts that make it hard for the guy to block with his knee like Weidman did?
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 5:04pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    dude you can find a shitload of videos of almost anything on the internet. there are 6 billion people on this planet. how many kickboxing, muay thai and mma matches happen around the globe every year? god fucking knows. and how many of them end in a leg snap? **** all, as proved by the handful of results that show up on the tube. go away, troll. it is a freak occurence.

Im actually kinda surprised this was something "new" that weidman had been doing. a staple of kickboxing check technique is to do exactly what he was talking about. throwing a leg kick the way silva and a lot of other fighters is a slightly risky way to do it, but its also faster. had he done a full turning over kick i doubt it would have broken. thats how most thais throw it.

again though, total freak accident. the rarity of it means you really cant read much into it.
    Troll? I'm just stating facts. Stop whining.

I never said it was common. I just pointed out that it is far more than one in a million as the original poster claimed. Like I told him, a broken leg can happen twice in the same night on the same fight card. As one of those videos shows.
    Last edited by kamadul; 12/29/2013 5:09pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    So either aiming for the calf, sides, or head will lessen the likely-hood of me being checked and losing a leg? Should I try to kick parts that make it hard for the guy to block with his knee like Weidman did?
    or coming down onto the leg kick. a lot of thai fighters roll their hip right over for a leg kick.
    if you watch someone like buakaw kick you can see that when he throws the leg kick it is coming in either totally flat or at a slight arc over and down, very rarely cutting straight up from the ground except when he knows 100% he can land it or he is going for a low sweep. examples-

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    or coming down onto the leg kick. a lot of thai fighters roll their hip right over for a leg kick.
    if you watch someone like buakaw kick you can see that when he throws the leg kick it is coming in either totally flat or at a slight arc over and down, very rarely cutting straight up from the ground except when he knows 100% he can land it or he is going for a low sweep. examples-
    I've only done minimal training in kickboxing, but isn't that how all muay thai kicks are supposed to work? That's how they teach it in my gym.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 6:55pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always think that to myself when I am at my gym. I see young kids training extremely hard and wonder what MMA is going to look like in another 20 years when all of the athletes have been doing MMA since kindergarten.
    Some of these kids are going to be so ridiculous it's not even funny. The learning curve is so much different for them. They have no fear or inhibitions and they're like sponges. They have good coaches and they have no idea there's any way to do things other than the right way. Plus a lot of parents understand the sport now and know how to make sure their kid gets the right training.

My son regularly leaves adult BJJ practitioners shaking their heads in disbelief. Not because he knows **** they don't, but because of how quickly he can integrate new **** into his game. He can watch a 10 minute YouTube video today and two weeks from now he'll have submitted 10 kids with his new move. He's always busting out **** his instructors had no clue he could do.

It's really a lot of fun to watch.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On another note thanks to womensmma on facebook I saw the Rousey/Tate fight. I hope Meisha isn't thinking about quitting two in a row means nothing. A few people in the UFC have more than two loses and Tate was the first too take Rousey into deep water which I think says a lot. Zingano has already said unless she can get the armbar she's done cause whatever improvements in striking she's made aren't much. That part was from me not a Zingano quote btw.
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was talking about this with a friend who does Muay Thai regularly and he had some interesting thoughts that I would like to hear other opinions on, as I am not really qualified to judge what he said.

He said that some of the contributing factors to the leg break were that they were standing in opposite stances and that Silva tried a rising low kick with his back (power) leg. He seemed to think that those kind of kicks were generally done with your leading leg instead of the power leg and because Weidman was standing in an opposite stance, his knee was in a perfect position to deliver the hard check. That is was kind of a perfect storm for something like that to happen.

Any thoughts?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast