Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 5:32pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need insurance for MMA classes at local community center

I have everything set up and ready to go to start teaching kickboxing and BJJ classes at my local community center. They're not even going to charge me to rent the room! I just need to have my own insurance.
    I imagine there's a good chance somebody on here has done something similar and might be able to point me towards a good affordable policy.
    Also if I'm charging my students just enough to break even and any extra cash just gets spent on gear for the group. Do you think I should have a business license as well? This is in the state of Nevada.
    Not sure if this is the right forum.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about running an (M)MA school, but I can tell you that you definitely want the business license and corporation, etc., in pretty much any business venture, even not-for-profit. The corporate structure, if done right, will protect your personal assets in case you do ever have legal issues. I can also tell you, unfortunately, that if you are successful you WILL have people trying to sue you. Get incorporated, get the license(s) you need, and stay above board with all your business. See also "ask an attorney."

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's Las Vegas, you need a special "privileged" martial arts school license approved by the City Council. - https://www.lvchamber.com/getting-business-license

Otherwise, the only licenses you'd normally require are the NSAC licenses (fighters, promoters, managers, seconds, physicians, etc). I don't think basic instructors need one, but you might want to call anyway.

Nevada Administrative Code s467 (NAC-467) contains laws governing Unarmed Combat in the state.

Most of this doesn't apply to a school per se but applies to how MMA in general is regulated via the state.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nac/NAC-467.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 1:51am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega Pointed me in the right direction for insurance, and it's not even that expensive, but I do need to have a business license to get the insurance.
    So it looks like I need to do it completely legit or not do it at all.
    Thanks for the comments guys, we're in Stateline NV, hit us up if you're ever in Tahoe for a ski/snowboard trip. Actually hit me up when you're planning your trip, my wife manages a local hotel.
    https://www.facebook.com/SouthShoreCombatClub

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 9:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've run a school for 10 years and use www .igomag.com

I've had a few students get hurt and they covered everything. They might be slightly more expensive than others, but insurance is not something you want to go cheap on.