Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defend Yourself! Ketsugo: Complete Self-Defense

This old comic book ad recently popped up on Bullshido's Facebook page:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 8.43.37 AM.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	15708

I thought I'd chime in because I owned this book. Years ago I ordered the 65-page manual from Things You Never Knew Existed, a catalogue put out by the Johnson Smith Company, the same business responsible for those novelty gag gift advertisements you used to see in comics all the time:

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 8.45.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	15709

Along with advertisements promoting the books of Count Dante, Bruce Tegner, and Charles Atlas, Ketsugo ads were frequently seen in comic books back in the 60's and 70's. I tried researching the history of Ketsugo, but so far I haven't really been able to find anything conclusive. There is, in fact, an eclectic martial art founded in 1955 by former US Navy frogman Harold Broscious called Ketsugo Jujutsu. Broscious' style apparently combines karate, Aikido, Savate, and other styles, which fits the bill because the book claims it can teach you "The Combined Unbeatable Fighting Arts of Aikido, Yawara, Ate-Waza, Karate, Judo, Savate and Jiu Jitsu." It's not really clear if there's an actual link between the art featured in the manual and Ketsugo Jujutsu. I've read speculation that the material featured in the pamphlet might've just been collected from older martial arts instructionals. Ketsugo itself means "gathering together."

The black-and-white pamphlet, written by S. Henry Roberts (Who may or may not exist), is divided into chapters by martial arts discipline. There's a chapter for karate, a chapter for Savate, a chapter for Judo, a chapter for Aikido, etc. There's also a section dedicated to physical conditioning and building home training equipment. The book features illustrations by Edward Urdang (Who does exist).

Name:  Screen_Shot_2013_12_21_at_8_09_09_AM.png
Views: 1407
Size:  43.2 KB

The actual instruction is functionally useless. There are a lot of impractical weapon disarms and standing jointlocks and whatnot. Any good advice is far too superficial to be of benefit to anyone (Eat healthy, practice temperance, use your opponent's momentum against him, etc). To some extent, it might've had some use as a reference guide when it first came out because it did feature legitimate Judo and Karate techniques along with their names and descriptions. Today, however, it's only real worth is as a collector's item. The simple illustrations and descriptions give the book it's own sort of charm, and the motley assemblage of techniques the manual presents reminds me of the old Bartitsu material DdlR posts.

I lost my copy of the book back in the Summer of 2010 cleaning the dorms at Rutgers University (I used to thumb through it during the idle times between when I would massage my penis on the underside of all the faucets). Fortunately, if you want a more in-depth peak into the book's silliness, you don't have to buy an old copy from Amazon. I posted a review here back in 2005 under my old handle Savatuer:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26045

People say I've been consistently good on this site over the years. Ok.

This book was written by S. Henry Robert, Esq. and illustrated by Robert Urdang, of which I now call the Douchebag Two. The preface states that " No effort has been spared to make this a thorough, practical course on self-defense. " Yeah, right. This book is horrible Bullshido. Even if a begginer did learn something from this book, he/she would undoubtfully forget these techniques in a fight. This book is total suckage.
    You know, I happen to own George Dillman's Humane Pressure Point System book. It has the usual problems with pressure points, but does teach some good things too ( finger locks were new to me).
    Last edited by Savateur; 12/21/2013 8:51am at .

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About Savatuer
    Primary Style:
    TSD, Kung-Fu, Wrestling
    Other Interests and Information:
    Ignore these four words.
    I hunt domestic animals in my neighborhood. I also shoot birds at the airport.
    Martial Arts Experience:
    I started out in MA with TSD. I did trained in that for 5 years, earning my BB title. Realizing that this was to traditional and after gaining my BB I wasn't goining anywhere, I started doing Praying-Mantis Kung-Fu. The teacher was good and I don't disrespect the art, but it was still to traditional. Now I'm training in wrestling at my high school. Other possibilities for me include Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, ect. but my funds are limited, currently.
    Penis.

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a big consumer of comics in the 70's, and loved all the old ads for karate manuals.

May, or may not, have had a crush on Count Dante's hair and beard.

Best ad featured a skinny guy in a karate gi, and wearing a mask, because if the other masters found out that he'd been sharing the deadly secrets of karate, they'd hunt him down and kill him.

Style
    TangSooDo/Yubiwaza
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are photos of my first MA book -- "Yubiwaza." I got this back in the '60s (you can see the copyright 1964 on the lower left cover). Yubiwaza was advertised on the back of a lot of comics. This was a self-published book by some Japanese lady named Yoshie Imanami (her name is inside) who used photos of herself applying the techniques, mostly useless, on a guy twice her size (boyfriend?).

I was a kid when I got this, for $1.00 I think. If you look closely at the cover, you might make out where I colored in the "z" and drew a dinosaur, or maybe a camel, on the upper right corner. I was going to draw airplanes shooting at it, but I think my mom called me in for dinner.

Best part is on the back cover, where she gives advice on "how you can overcome and master inferiority complex..." "A daily shower ... is the foundation for your own self confidence." "Clothes make the man." "Do NOT wear long hair because some of the boys are copying a Rock and Roll singer . . . let the beatniks act like goons." Probably better advice than the techniques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20131221-00066.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	15711  

Name:	IMG-20131221-00065.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	15710  

Name:	IMG-20131221-00064.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	15712  

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://cartoonician.com/the-deadliest-ads-alive/ - very detailed article covering Ketsugo, Yubiwaza, etc.

Style
    TangSooDo/Yubiwaza
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    http://cartoonician.com/the-deadliest-ads-alive/ - very detailed article covering Ketsugo, Yubiwaza, etc.
    Thank you for posting the story behind Yubiwaza. I am disappointed that instead of a 100 page book I only got a 14 page pamphlet, and that I never even got the Yubiwaza Federation membership card.

Shortly after getting the book a friend and I spent some time poking each other's pressure points to see if either of us would become paralyzed. It was kind of like an early George Dillman seminar, except neither of us fell unconscious (come to think of it, that's probably how he started too).

Nevertheless, Yubiwaza was important to me, as my very first MA. To honor the style, I have changed my profile field from Aikido to Yubiwaza. I figure the change will also get me more respect from my MA friends.

I plan to begin work immediately developing Yubiwaza antigrappling techniques, which I will publish in a series of DVDs, $59.99 a piece, $360.00 for all six, and plan to also offer Yubiwaza black belt certification over the internet. Yubiwaza Federation card included.

Style
    血鷲
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As we all likely know, "ketsu" is Japanese for "ass".

No, not donkey.

Does this method of defence require lube?

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    As we all likely know, "ketsu" is Japanese for "ass".

No, not donkey.

Does this method of defence require lube?
    Lube you say? We are hardcore martial artists.

however

A reach around is considered a show of respect for the fallen.

side note

I remember the back page ads and ordered a few items back in the 60's - 70's. Never did get around to ordering those awesome X-ray glasses.

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I remember the back page ads and ordered a few items back in the 60's - 70's. Never did get around to ordering those awesome X-ray glasses.
    I worked for a guy who did. He was mightily disappointed in their inability to see through women's clothing

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I worked for a guy who did. He was mightily disappointed in their inability to see through women's clothing
    Exactly

and

I once visited a factory where this crap was made. It's a major retailer of crapfantastic.

pity really

He's a gifted Hong Kong tooling engineer, enticed by the profit margin of cheap and readily available. Should be doing judo, albeit without the quality control.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last