225203 Bullies, 4117 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 49
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. rnc357 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56

    Posted On:
    12/27/2013 9:57am


     Style: dead lifting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This is general advice and does not belong in this forum. This forum requires you to give specific advice or personal examples that apply to the OP.

    Please read the link below to better understand my point.

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76402

    sorry, I came in from the main page under new bs. Did not realize
    it was moved out of YMAS. I think I there are a few others making the same mistake. noticed a few people joking around and not giving any advice.
    Last edited by rnc357; 12/27/2013 10:25am at .
  2. carchila is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    12/27/2013 10:36am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it is normal to go through a slump. but being at your size going against bigger people it will always be a problem if continue to go head on with people. you can not fight muscle with weaker muscle. You have to change your game when you go against bigger people. for example a straight on sweep will not work some of the time if the big is content in settling in their hips.

    My advice when I go against guys my size or bigger/stronger is I neutralize their strength. I go for the back. I play half guard or a variation of half guard as well. I submit people from side control as well, but I am always going for the back when on the bottom.
    Do I always get the back?? NO but I cause a reaction enough to get on top. go for the back from half guard. Stay on your side don't get flatten out get a good underhook and start threatening the back. and start building around that some people will react differently and you can start drilling how to react when people react to you taking the back.

    staples for your game should be arms drags and collar drags against bigger guys. why because those guys lean in with their head make them face plant and take the back. Some of times guys will just sit back trying to put me in a guard opposed to me taking their back. I pass off their guard pull and end up in side control.
    Hope this helps
  3. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,541

    Posted On:
    12/27/2013 10:47pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I think people are severely underestimating how difficult it is to out wrestle and dominate top against people that outweigh you by a significant amount. Even with my years of takedown training through Judo and Wrestling I have a hell of a time out wrestling and getting on top my training partners that are 40-50 pounds heavier, especially when that difference is based on height and muscle.

    However, where I have a lot of success is dropping underneath to X-guard and other guards that keep their weight off you and they can't pressure through. Once you get the sweep, you can dominate top or in my case, I go after the legs.
    I agree. But I think we are also using different principles as well. And as an idea to try.

    alot of what we do is technically fighting for the stand up rather than fighting for guard. Or stand up and re grapple. So you still wind up on top.


    This becomes my issue dealing with some of the lighter guys is that I have to expend so much focus on just holding them down I cannot advance my position.
    In essence it means a lot of turtle and step outs.

    I am going to say it is easier to get on top from the scramble on a heavier guy than to get out once they are on top. But just focusing on breaking away from the grapple may help. Rather than risking being caught underneith.


    And with a bit of hunting found a vid that sort of shows what I am trying to get at.



    And here playing a guard game.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/27/2013 11:21pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
  4. Plasma is offline
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,077

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 5:00am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I agree. But I think we are also using different principles as well. And as an idea to try.

    alot of what we do is technically fighting for the stand up rather than fighting for guard. Or stand up and re grapple. So you still wind up on top.


    This becomes my issue dealing with some of the lighter guys is that I have to expend so much focus on just holding them down I cannot advance my position.
    In essence it means a lot of turtle and step outs.

    I am going to say it is easier to get on top from the scramble on a heavier guy than to get out once they are on top. But just focusing on breaking away from the grapple may help. Rather than risking being caught underneith.


    And with a bit of hunting found a vid that sort of shows what I am trying to get at.



    And here playing a guard game.

    I understand what you are trying to say. However, I feel in order to play the game you are suggesting you need to be a stronger wrestler. While the stronger your wrestling game is, the stronger your overall grappling game is. I think its unrealistic for 5'4'', 145 lbs female to create and win scrambles against men that have inches of height and pounds of muscles on her. Its definitely possible, but it will require a high skill in wrestling that may take years to develop to overcome the weight difference.

    Why I go for the Guard game for her, is she is already playing the guard game. It may only take a few months of tweaks to utilize her shins and hips in a matter to prevent her opponent from dropping weight on her. I know from personal experience that I have a much higher success against people that have a size advantage over me with guard than creating scrambles and getting back to my feet. However, what could be said is to create scrambles and get back to standing in order to escape the bottom and allow her to pull guard on her own terms depending how good she is at grip/hand fighting.
  5. Plasma is offline
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,077

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 5:04am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    sorry, I came in from the main page under new bs. Did not realize
    it was moved out of YMAS. I think I there are a few others making the same mistake. noticed a few people joking around and not giving any advice.
    The only person I see joking around is Omega. Bullshido is not a democracy, there are special rules for certain people. Omega has special rules that only apply to him.
  6. rnc357 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 10:27am


     Style: dead lifting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    The only person I see joking around is Omega. Bullshido is not a democracy, there are special rules for certain people. Omega has special rules that only apply to him.
    I hope your joking, Anyway when grappling with much bigger guys and when standing or starting on the knees. I like to use kind of a modified duck under/slide by and get to there back or even there side. As far as lower belts submitting you, don't let that bother you. I have a friend who was a high level wrestler and coach come to a class and dominate a purple belt and give the black belt instructor who had 50 pounds on him a run for his money.
    Last edited by rnc357; 12/28/2013 10:56am at .
  7. blackmonk is online now
    blackmonk's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    879

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 11:22am

    supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RNC:
    Bullshido is definitely not a democracy. My first however many months on here was a series of insults, hazing, and condescension. Yet I'm still here. It is good that you edited your post to redact the snarky remarks.


    RE: thread
    I understand that the OP is female, and presumably a guard player, but focusing on top game is such a potential break-through, regardless of size. I spent a year training with a 120lb female that was a master at top game, and she routinely put me on my back and forced me to play guard. It wasn't that she was overpowering me, either. It was because her mentality was to get on top and smash/smother.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 11:48am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    I hope your joking, Anyway when grappling with much bigger guys and when standing or starting on the knees. I like to use kind of a modified duck under/slide by and get to there back or even there side. As far as lower belts submitting you, don't let that bother you. I have a friend who was a high level wrestler and coach come to a class and dominate a purple belt and give the black belt instructor who had 50 pounds on him a run for his money.
    What is your experience level? I'd like to put this comment into perspective before commenting on it.
  9. rnc357 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 9:56pm


     Style: dead lifting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    What is your experience level? I'd like to put this comment into perspective before commenting on it.
    Been training off and on since 1987, grappling since 1999. Currently not grappling. Mostly traditional JJ and sub wrestling. Only 2 yr total bjj.
  10. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    12/28/2013 10:28pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    Been training off and on since 1987, grappling since 1999. Currently not grappling. Mostly traditional JJ and sub wrestling. Only 2 yr total bjj.
    Well, enough training. One of the things I try to explain to some is that smaller guys do well against bigger advanced guys. Why? Because most of the big advanced people don't want to yield to strength over technique. I have a "purple" belt wrestling based student that just get's out of most of my maneuvers because of the size difference; unless I want to muscle him into position.

    ps. Sorry to set a bad example. I've been with this sight for over 11 years, a former professional fighter and been in this game for a little over 35 years now. I've also shown up to more "throwdowns" than anybody else on this site. This isn't a reason I should get away with anything, or should be above the rules but most do excuse my immaturity. Plus I'm cute.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.