Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2013 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, my slumps are conceptual. They have very little to do with specific techniques. It's a psychological state where I allow too much, and then errantly reflect that on myself as a shortcoming in technique.

One thing I've learned recently, after training with a very, very high-level judoka, is that I'm good at what I do. Even when I get thrown or subbed, I'm still good at what I do. You need to know that you deserve to be where you are.

If you have problems getting stuck on bottom, choose to be on top. Make the mental adjustments necessary to get on top and stay there. Sounds like some esoteric bullshit, but it works for me. While not a BJJ stylist, I routinely spar against excellent BJJ practitioners and do well (jnp, naszir, etc), and getting there required constant adjustments in my mental game, moreso than my lexicon of technique. As someone said before, great fighters have a predictable set of actions... Ronda Rousey's armbar, for instance.

I don't know. My $.02

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 1:19am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got on the mat for the first time in 1990. I have had many period of "slump." The key is to mix it up and to go to practice. Here are a few things I have found that I use to help work through. The focus being work, it cures all.

1. Focus on what you don't do well. Practice those things and then try to tie them in with things you already do well.

2. Find a coach to cross-train with. Hearing things from a different perspective and different focus is good for your own perspective.

3. Change up practice routine.

One thing I did when I had a slump at the about the same time point you are at is I spent a year working pinning. I would only submit after establishing a pin. After initially feeling like I was moving backwards, everything got a lot better quick. Even today it shapes how I grapple.

Finally, accept that nothing is forever. If after giving yourself considerable time to work through the slump and you still are not having fun, maybe you have hit a point where you have hit a point move on. If later you decide to come back great, if not that is fine too.

Good luck and if need be feel free to contact me directly and I can give you a whole ton of drills etc to try.

Aaron Fields

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've said the problem yourself, you can't get on top and STAY on top.

Incorporate butterfly guard sweeps and wrestling to get on top, next step is focus on staying on top through positional control drills.

I went through a similar phase near purple where I wasn't sure what the hell is going to get me better. I learned it was pressure, timing, and a "back to basics" approach.

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 12:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do sub wrestling sort of mma wrestling and am constantly drilled that it is a will game. You need to expend more effort on the scramble. In mma playing on the bottom gets you bashed.

I almost have no top side submissions.

There is a lot of wrestling sub wrestling and mma stuff dedicated to this. Mabye a bit of a look at that.

In the scramble try to stand up?

I do sub wrestling sort of mma wrestling and am constantly drilled that it is a will game. You need to expend more effort on the scramble. In mma playing on the bottom gets you bashed.

There is a lot of wrestling sub wrestling and mma stuff dedicated to this. Mabye a bit of a look at that.

Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 5:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post

I think people are severely underestimating how difficult it is to out wrestle and dominate top against people that outweigh you by a significant amount. Even with my years of takedown training through Judo and Wrestling I have a hell of a time out wrestling and getting on top my training partners that are 40-50 pounds heavier, especially when that difference is based on height and muscle.

However, where I have a lot of success is dropping underneath to X-guard and other guards that keep their weight off you and they can't pressure through. Once you get the sweep, you can dominate top or in my case, I go after the legs.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/25/2013 6:06am at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 1:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I think people are severely underestimating how difficult it is to out wrestle and dominate top against people that outweigh you by a significant amount. Even with my years of takedown training through Judo and Wrestling I have a hell of a time out wrestling and getting on top my training partners that are 40-50 pounds heavier, especially when that difference is based on height and muscle.

However, where I have a lot of success is dropping underneath to X-guard and other guards that keep their weight off you and they can't pressure through. Once you get the sweep, you can dominate top or in my case, I go after the legs.
    Yeah, it can be tough, especially if the larger guy/gal is not a noob, even worse, if they are at a similar skill level.

What I do, as a smaller man, is to as you note, keep their weight off of me and use superior mobility (most of the time...the big guys who can move well are a nightmare to deal with). Often that involves trying to stay on top, and if I do get on bottom I keep moving and try not to stay in a set position for too long, especially of the guy has some skill.

Adding in lower body submissions of course we don't do in Judo, but it's a great idea for sure. Adds a whole new dimension to the game. I've rolled with guys who were doing leg locks/subs and well, it sucked. There is a lot less margin of error.

What I imagine the OP doing is kinda being passive on bottom, letting the bigger guys set their weight, and holding onto bottom position "at all costs" more or less. More flexibility in approach might help to break out of the slump.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lower-body submissions are, without a doubt, an equalizer. The problem is that most grappling schools frown on their full and unarrested development.

Just yesterday, I subbed a world-level 66kg judo player with a leglock, before he destroyed me for 45 minutes doing tachi-waza, and he has 20 years of experience on me. For that reason alone, they should be a part of everyone's game, but there's that selfish part of me that's glad I have a weapon that not many other have.

(It's the small victories. I got thrown so much, though, that my body is aching today, even though I didn't expend that much energy. **** me.)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 7:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Lower-body submissions are, without a doubt, an equalizer. The problem is that most grappling schools frown on their full and unarrested development.

Just yesterday, I subbed a world-level 66kg judo player with a leglock, before he destroyed me for 45 minutes doing tachi-waza, and he has 20 years of experience on me. For that reason alone, they should be a part of everyone's game, but there's that selfish part of me that's glad I have a weapon that not many other have.

(It's the small victories. I got thrown so much, though, that my body is aching today, even though I didn't expend that much energy. **** me.)
    The sad thing is that at his skill level, if he studied and worked on lower body subs for a while, you would be in a world of hurt on the ground too...

We just can't afford the time in normal competitive Judo to work on them, though. I know some of my students would enjoy learning them for sure.

I'd at least like to see the straight versions of leg/ankle locks back in Judo, both in randori or competition. The twisting types though I'd have to think about.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 9:09pm

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    I thought at first I'd post this in the advanced grappling forum but then I thought maybe it wasn't terribly relevant there. Plus, since this post is basically about how I suck (or perceive myself to suck), YMAS is likely more appropriate.

First off a little background: I'm a purple belt whose been training just over 5 years. I'm a 5'4'', 145 lbs female who trains anywhere from 4-6 times a week at the club, along with a couple of strength and conditioning workouts during the week to supplement.

Here's my stinkin' deal: I am not having fun grappling anymore.

I feel that my skills have been stagnant for about a year or more now (basically since I got my purple). I feel I am not growing as a grappler, making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

I base these conclusions on the results during open mat and free rolling. I rarely submit the guys at my gym. I still rarely sweep with any effectiveness. I basically play bottom-game defense. all. the fucking. time.

More importantly, in the last two months or so, I've been completely smashed by a few blue belts at my new bjj club. My technique is too shitty to effectively counter both their technique and more importantly, their strength. This isn't to say, purples, browns or blacks don't **** me up, it's just a different kind of fucking up and I don't get nearly as butt-hurt over it.

To try to address this issue, I have been setting up specific training sessions to just drill and I have also started a lifting program supposedly meant for grapplers (http://bjjtoday.net/bigger-stronger-technical/) to increase my strength (it seems to be working a little..I guess)

All of this is highly disturbing to me and makes me fucking depressed. I keep getting stripes based on I guess, my time/attendance, but I don't even want to think about getting my brown when I even can't handle (i.e., school) blue and purple belt dudes.

What has been your experience for this kind of thing? Is it normal for intermediate grapplers to feel inadequate? Is this just a reflection of my own insecurities towards shitty blue belts?
    What advice do have for a small, widdle purple belt whose is getting her ass kicked nearly every class? Is there other conditioning I should be doing? Drilling certain ****? Should I just suck it up and stop being a little bitch about it?

Let the trolling ensue!
    I think the strength training should help you out a lot. People shouldn't be muscling through techs but a lot of times they do. What your probably running into is that some people have such a huge strength difference. I should know, I used to use my strength to patch my average technique. I had to try hard not to but often times I did. Good Luck

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 10:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    I think the strength training should help you out a lot. People shouldn't be muscling through techs but a lot of times they do. What your probably running into is that some people have such a huge strength difference. I should know, I used to use my strength to patch my average technique. I had to try hard not to but often times I did. Good Luck
    This is general advice and does not belong in this forum. This forum requires you to give specific advice or personal examples that apply to the OP.

Please read the link below to better understand my point.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76402
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast