Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 1:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    LOL, didn't I warn you of this when I promoted you? This is a great thread for everybody to see.
    Oh is she's your student? The answer then is to shut up and listen to Omega.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/20/2013 1:53pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 1:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Oh is she's your student? The answer then is to shut up and listen to Omega.
    She doesn't train with me anymore. She moved.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She should affix a tablet to the wall and you can yell over Skype.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 2:29pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: I'm a shitty blue belt (albeit with 8 years of rolling), so take my advice for what it's worth

First, take a break. Take a week off, and don't do any jiu jitsu. Relax. I've found in the past that coming back to the gym after a break can be like a breath of fresh air, it can really allow me to come back to the met with a fresh attitude/perspective. It's holiday season, so it might be the perfect "excuse".

Second, as you progress in your strength training, don't give in to the temptation to become reliant on that strength. Personally, if it occurs to me that I'm muscling something, I let it go, even if I could succesfully muscle through it. Fortunately I'm weak for a man, so that's seldom an issue. lol

Third, remember that there are MANY different ways to roll, and an almost infinite number of combinations of techniques that can make up a style. As someone who doesn't compete, and having a super defensive game myself, I don't see this as being negative. Look at Ryron vs Galvao, where Ryron's game plan was to let Galvao do whatever he wanted for the first 15 minutes, just defend, stall, and frustrate. This is a valid style imho. Galvao definitely won that match on points, or he would have, anyway, if there WERE points. He didn't sub him though.

fourth, my wife (also a blue belt) get's frustrated from time to time as well. I will pass her spider guard and she'll get irritated and be like "How did you pass so easily, I suck" and then I'm like, love, I spent 10 minutes getting stuffed working up to that pass... how is that easy?" She's doing a lot of things right, but focusing on the bad, so her attitude is negatively affected. She's ignoring the two sweeps she almost finished and focusing on the one thing she did wrong that finally let me pass.

The last and one of the most difficult point is deciding that you no longer care about "winning" or "losing" on your home gym's mat. This is not easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 2:57pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 2012 I did nothing but drill 1LX Guard and X Guard. In 2013 it was 50/50 Guard. I have training partners that are stronger and better technically than me that avoid my X and 50/50 Guards like a plague. They know if I secure my positions they will be on the defensive the rest of the match. If you have 40 mins to drill, drill 1 sweep for 40 mins, then during sparring go for that sweep repetitively. Make people run from your sweep, it will create other openings.
    Got ya. Yeah, I've been drilling all wrong then. I'll make the changes immediately.

Aggressive/Offensive doesnít means harder/more muscle. What I am saying is donít accept the sweep, base out and stay on top. Donít accept the pass, invert, shrimp, get back your half guard. Donít let them settle into the position, it will increase the chance of them making a mistake.
    I hear you here too. I do get way too complacent way too often. It needs to stop asap

What type of Half Guard are you using? For example, I used to use lockdown half guard as my go to half-guard. It was very high percentage for me for a while. Then as my competition level when up, it got very low percentage as people know how to stuff it. As a result I moved into using Deep Half Guard in those situations which is much higher percentage against better people.
    So that's what I was using for awhile too, standard lockdown half guard. But like your experience, everyone started shutting it down, especially once I got in the GI for whatever reason. Once they get their arm around my head and underhook my arm on the other side, I'm done!

I started to implement a butterfly hook with my outside leg while my inside leg is crossed over their calf (not sure what the exact name for this type of half guard is...). I've also really tried to prevent them obtaining head control by implementing a crane-like block on their bicep and of course, fight for the underhook myself (though I worry more about the crane-block than than the underhook since it seems that once my head gets trapped I'm fucked).

Both of these modifications have helped in creating distance and getting their weight off me but my sweeping from there is still pretty pathetic. Usually when I go to extend my butterfly hook (like a typical butterfly sweep would start), I must not be applying proper control with my inside leg or something because they easily just whip/scorpion kick out their trapped leg right into goddamn side control. It's very dis-heartening. I was about to abandon half guard all together and just use it to get the full guard and try sweeping/subbing from there but you're suggesting as a smaller person that may not be such a good idea?

As far as deep half goes, I only end up there by accident really. My deep half game is sorely under-developed.

Do you have any reference vids or other resources on the HF Shell with the DLR hook you mentioned earlier? I've never heard of the term shell HG before...I'll look it up too and see what I can find.

Thank you Plasma for all your input and thank you everyone else for yours as well. If nothing else, I am glad this isn't terribly unusual. Please keep giving advice, anecdotes, personal experience, etc as it really does help.

Career-wise, this was a great decision.

Grappling-wise, one of the worst decisions I could have made. You never know what you miss until it's gone!

She should affix a tablet to the wall and you can yell over Skype.
    WIN!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 3:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a shitty blue belt (albeit with 8 years of rolling), so take my advice for what it's worth
    Time on the mats is worth a lot in my book

Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    First, take a break. Take a week off, and don't do any jiu jitsu. Relax. I've found in the past that coming back to the gym after a break can be like a breath of fresh air, it can really allow me to come back to the met with a fresh attitude/perspective. It's holiday season, so it might be the perfect "excuse".

Second, as you progress in your strength training, don't give in to the temptation to become reliant on that strength. Personally, if it occurs to me that I'm muscling something, I let it go, even if I could succesfully muscle through it. Fortunately I'm weak for a man, so that's seldom an issue. lol

Third, remember that there are MANY different ways to roll, and an almost infinite number of combinations of techniques that can make up a style. As someone who doesn't compete, and having a super defensive game myself, I don't see this as being negative. Look at Ryron vs Galvao, where Ryron's game plan was to let Galvao do whatever he wanted for the first 15 minutes, just defend, stall, and frustrate. This is a valid style imho. Galvao definitely won that match on points, or he would have, anyway, if there WERE points. He didn't sub him though.

fourth, my wife (also a blue belt) get's frustrated from time to time as well. I will pass her spider guard and she'll get irritated and be like "How did you pass so easily, I suck" and then I'm like, love, I spent 10 minutes getting stuffed working up to that pass... how is that easy?" She's doing a lot of things right, but focusing on the bad, so her attitude is negatively affected. She's ignoring the two sweeps she almost finished and focusing on the one thing she did wrong that finally let me pass.

The last and one of the most difficult point is deciding that you no longer care about "winning" or "losing" on your home gym's mat. This is not easy.
    All good points. I think your right, I may need an attitude adjustment in conjunction with a revamp of my training methods.

Again, it's not so much that 'losing' that pisses me off per se but how I lose (though I do admit I want to increase my sub finishes dramatically).

If I get schooled by someone's legit tech (even if they use some strength behind it), all good. But when I get overtly muscled or spazzed out on, especially by 3+ striped blue belts, I just want to fucking kill them. I take it as direct insult which is obviously my ego calling. I don't smash certain people (inexperienced white belts, the kids/teenagers or anybody that applies really) just because I can. It's an empty 'win', the roll is worthless at that point.

I guess I see it like because I am so much smaller, why do some supposedly experienced grapplers still go all caveman and more importantly, why can't I do anything to stop it?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 4:25pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    So that's what I was using for awhile too, standard lockdown half guard. But like your experience, everyone started shutting it down, especially once I got in the GI for whatever reason. Once they get their arm around my head and underhook my arm on the other side, I'm done!
    That is exactly what I do when someone uses lockdown against me. Flatten them out with Head and Arm control. Put my Knee on the ground to unhook the lockdown and pass.

I started to implement a butterfly hook with my outside leg while my inside leg is crossed over their calf (not sure what the exact name for this type of half guard is...). I've also really tried to prevent them obtaining head control by implementing a crane-like block on their bicep and of course, fight for the underhook myself (though I worry more about the crane-block than than the underhook since it seems that once my head gets trapped I'm fucked).

Both of these modifications have helped in creating distance and getting their weight off me but my sweeping from there is still pretty pathetic. Usually when I go to extend my butterfly hook (like a typical butterfly sweep would start), I must not be applying proper control with my inside leg or something because they easily just whip/scorpion kick out their trapped leg right into goddamn side control. It's very dis-heartening. I was about to abandon half guard all together and just use it to get the full guard and try sweeping/subbing from there but you're suggesting as a smaller person that may not be such a good idea?
    Its called Half-Butterfly. Make sure your inner foot is locked into the outside of their leg so it follows them if they try to back kick out. Usually I use that position to elevate and move into X-guard. However, your hook sweep will work from there just fine just shrimp back to butterfly guard/ open guard and do your standard hook sweep. Just don't pause, make it one motion.

As far as deep half goes, I only end up there by accident really. My deep half game is sorely under-developed.

Do you have any reference vids or other resources on the HF Shell with the DLR hook you mentioned earlier? I've never heard of the term shell HG before...I'll look it up too and see what I can find.

Thank you Plasma for all your input and thank you everyone else for yours as well. If nothing else, I am glad this isn't terribly unusual. Please keep giving advice, anecdotes, personal experience, etc as it really does help.

Ryan is in the HG Shell at 3:59

Ostap Demoing the RDLR

Last edited by Plasma; 12/20/2013 4:32pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought at first I'd post this in the advanced grappling forum but then I thought maybe it wasn't terribly relevant there. Plus, since this post is basically about how I suck (or perceive myself to suck), YMAS is likely more appropriate.

First off a little background: I'm a purple belt whose been training just over 5 years. I'm a 5'4'', 145 lbs female who trains anywhere from 4-6 times a week at the club, along with a couple of strength and conditioning workouts during the week to supplement.

Here's my stinkin' deal: I am not having fun grappling anymore.

I feel that my skills have been stagnant for about a year or more now (basically since I got my purple). I feel I am not growing as a grappler, making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

I base these conclusions on the results during open mat and free rolling. I rarely submit the guys at my gym. I still rarely sweep with any effectiveness. I basically play bottom-game defense. all. the fucking. time.

More importantly, in the last two months or so, I've been completely smashed by a few blue belts at my new bjj club. My technique is too shitty to effectively counter both their technique and more importantly, their strength. This isn't to say, purples, browns or blacks don't **** me up, it's just a different kind of fucking up and I don't get nearly as butt-hurt over it.

To try to address this issue, I have been setting up specific training sessions to just drill and I have also started a lifting program supposedly meant for grapplers (http://bjjtoday.net/bigger-stronger-technical/) to increase my strength (it seems to be working a little..I guess)

All of this is highly disturbing to me and makes me fucking depressed. I keep getting stripes based on I guess, my time/attendance, but I don't even want to think about getting my brown when I even can't handle (i.e., school) blue and purple belt dudes.

What has been your experience for this kind of thing? Is it normal for intermediate grapplers to feel inadequate? Is this just a reflection of my own insecurities towards shitty blue belts?
    What advice do have for a small, widdle purple belt whose is getting her ass kicked nearly every class? Is there other conditioning I should be doing? Drilling certain ****? Should I just suck it up and stop being a little bitch about it?

Let the trolling ensue!
    I'm not sure what your expectations are for yourself. You seem to be training seriously (I'm assuming mostly gi), I assume at a good school/club. That's all great, keep it up ! I wish I were somewhere I could train that much.

That said, do you ever roll or compete with other women ? How do you do in that context ? Do you even have enough data (experience) to have a realistic view of your skill compared to other women ? ]

Because as you know, men are on average stronger than women. You are on a strength program, great, and depending on your genetics it will help to some degree. But you are pretty much always going to have that issue.

You may not know, but it takes a LOT more skill to overcome people who are considerably stronger than you are and have some skill. To state the obvious, the stronger they are, they less skill relative to you they will need to make it difficult if not impossible for you to "beat" them.

The same things happens among males as well. So in that sense, it's gender independent. Age, injuries, lack of training, etc., make it possible and even outright get your butt kicked by lower ranked opponents or training partners.

For example, I'm 51 years old, been doing Judo for 33 years. Not only am I old(er), but I have old injuries, out of condition, etc. I'm a 3rd degree black belt, with a LOT of competition experience up to national level and even some international. If I were to go to a reasonable sized judo tourney and sign up in the "senior men" division with all the younger guys, you can bet I would get beat up. I doubt I could even place in the -21 y/o division (I go to camps and work with them...so I know).

Even when I was in my prime, I struggled and got my ass handed to me by larger, stronger, and sometimes even lesser skilled opponents in both training and competition...there is a reason for weight divisions, LOL !

So, it's kinda all relative. I keep training because I like to train. I must, because it hurts like hell (my body and my ego) to keep training at times. Do you like to train? If you don't, maybe you should reassess why you keep doing it ?

As far as training advice goes, yes, keep working on your conditioning and strength. Push yourself to get off your back and be aggressive in practice. Work on getting on backs, work on moving to top control position instead of trying to sweep/submit from bottom all the time. Work on takedowns (Judo?) as well.

Yeah, it's gonna hurt, and it's going to be hard as hell.

But so the **** what, if you want easy quit and take up walking or knitting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To BKR-

I've been competing pretty regularly since white belt (I say about 4-6x a year for 4 years or so). Like most competitors, I have good matches and I have bad matches. Only one or two chicks have ever man-handled me (one was Liz Carmouche, twice actually lol. I got to compete with her again this last Aug as a matter of fact).

I like to think for the most part I do fine with other girls, both in training and in comp. There's just not too many of us and now that I'm in NM, it's even worse. Opportunities to roll with other girls has been pretty limited compared to when I was in CA. I like training with the guys anyway, I just want to start kicking their asses a bit more.

I guess I have a few expectations/goals (in no particular order):

1. compete (and eventually place) at the higher levels of comp like Dream Tournaments and ultimately, the ADCC trials (IBJJF is definitely out of the question especially in light of recent events). I'm aiming for my first attempt at the big leagues this summer

2. stop most free rolling partners from imposing their game

3. start subbing whites and most blues on a regular basis

4. don't be that chick who has a 4/5th stripe purple belt, or the worse a brown belt, who frequently gets dominated by lower, less skilled grapplers

I love grappling. I love training. I'm fully addicted. I obsess about jits pretty much all the time :) As much as I'm struggling right now, I can't see myself leaving the mat.

That's why I posted this thread. I'm in a state of desperation and I respect the opinions of you guys (except Sirc)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 9:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ew, burrrrrn.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast