Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illyrus View Post
    I would ask if you can take a class for free to see how your body will hold up, or else pay the mat fee for a single time.
    I just got an e-mail back from the Judo guys - I am welcome to take two free classes before I decide whether or not I sign up. The BJJ group said the same thing. I haven't visited the Judo Club yet because the BJJ group was on a different night at the YWCA - however in their e-mails they both complimented each other. Judo guys told me to check out the BJJ group too because it's awesome.

I can show you which clubs I'm talking about if you'd like -

Princeton Judo

Princeton Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Princeton BJJ is run by Emily Kowk so I have very little doubt it's awesome. I observed a class and they are having me come in for trial classes as well.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    So put money and the "effectiveness in the street" considerations to the side and think of your joints.
    Those are basically the feelings of my old coach. Plus I REALLY liked what little pieces of BJJ I did learn. I think I'd still like to try both classes twice, though. I'm 26 and heavy (read: BMI is morbid obesity range), not in the best shape. Standing ukemi kind of shocks my tubby system - I can feel the tingle in my joints.

And I never did learn how to forward roll.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:13am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    than forget judo for a while. Frankly consider a crossfit place, airobic classes etc. If you do want to do a MA go for boxing, though it is tough, it is actually the softest on your joints (a nose is not a joint:) ). If you do not want to do a striking art, than my suggestion is to go to airobic classes, do lots of walking and body weight workouts and do Aikido. You roll a lot there, you also break fall a lot, and for a guy as big as you are every time you get up from the mat you work out...hard, so it is actually a great workout for you. Just remember to diet, this is the most effective way to lose weight.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post

Princeton Judo

Both places look good.

Considering your fitness level I'd sign at the BJJ club.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got an e-mail back from the Judo guys - I am welcome to take two free classes before I decide whether or not I sign up. The BJJ group said the same thing. I haven't visited the Judo Club yet because the BJJ group was on a different night at the YWCA - however in their e-mails they both complimented each other. Judo guys told me to check out the BJJ group too because it's awesome.

Princeton Judo

Princeton BJJ is run by Emily Kowk so I have very little doubt it's awesome. I observed a class and they are having me come in for trial classes as well.
    I train both and Judo is significantly tougher on the body (and my ukemi is very good). If you have the chance to train with Emily, you should. There aren't too many MG black belts around and her instruction is legit. Have watched a bunch of her vids with Kesting and she's top notch.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 26 and heavy (read: BMI is morbid obesity range), not in the best shape.
    If you're that heavy, stay away from Judo, at least for a while. Even in Aikido you're bound to take some uncomfortable falls. Plus, if you're nervous about falling, that makes it hard to learn. I'd focus on losing weight and conditioning before getting serious on a MA -- thru diet, aerobic work, and lifting.

If you're determined to start a MA, then MT or boxing is a good choice. BJJ is a good choice too and, having rolled with some heavy guys, I can tell you your weight could actually help.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emily Kwok, weeeeeeaaaaayy!

I loved her explanations in the video series with Stephen Kesting.

Either way, you have very good options to chose from, trust me, many people envy you... :)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:01pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have access to Emily Kwok There is nothing left to discuss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:14pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience may be different than most, but I found BJJ to be more prone to injury. In my Judo classes you are only allowed to train in techniques that they believe you are ready for and a large emphasis is placed on safety. In BJJ they just throw you in there and there are no real levels, you start executing the techniques everyone else is doing. My first day of BJJ I tore three muscles across my rib cage and I was out for a couple months. I have not been injured during Judo. This may be dependent on club culture though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're pretty much in the same boat with the weight issue. If it's worth anything I have been training BJJ for a while with a view to adding two judo sessions a week once I feel like I can take falls without cursing my life. We do a reasonable amount of stand up and that's how I monitor my progress. Once falling sucks a lot less than it does now I'll start doing some judo.

Basically, do BJJ until falling sucks a lot less and then do as much judo as you have time energy and money for.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast