Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!

After decades of hard work..

I got my black belt in Yellow Bamboo!

All kidding aside, I am trying to choose between BJJ and Judo. 125/month for a 1 year contract of BJJ, 90/month for 3 month contracts for Judo. But I love ground grappling. But I want a good 'upright' game too. Buuut... I hear Judo is harder on the body especially for the less athletic. What would BULLSHIDO do?

That is, if money was no object - but it is. And if you want to know these are both clubs in Princeton, NJ.

And yes, I made that drawing just for you guys tonight.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its always a hard call between the two. Really depends on what you want to do. They both are Martial art and sports. I happen to like particpating in the sport of BJJ more than Judo. I also fine BJJ a lot easier on my body. All that being said Judo is awesome and gosh for that price its hard to pass up. Of course if money was really no object the answer would to be to do both.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Of course if money was really no object the answer would to be to do both.
    I forgot to add - they both have mat fees for $20 a go. I could crosstrain, but only occasionally. Or figure out a barter.

I've dabbled in Judo very little but done more mixed nogi submission grappling. I liked them both. I kind of feel like BJJ will be kinder to my obese sag body? I am just worried my takedowns and standing game will not be as complete.

The BJJ place also offers Muay Thai one night a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 12:56am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    I forgot to add - they both have mat fees for $20 a go. I could crosstrain, but only occasionally. Or figure out a barter.

I've dabbled in Judo very little but done more mixed nogi submission grappling. I liked them both. I kind of feel like BJJ will be kinder to my obese sag body? I am just worried my takedowns and standing game will not be as complete.

We have both at my gym. That's generally what I see as well. The BJJ guys really don't know how to handle the judoka during standup. If they can withstand the initial slam and lighting fast transition to a submission or choke, they can often regain the advantage. They tend to fall for stuff that many lower level judoka would never allow though.

I train mainly in Judo, but every once in a while drop in the BJJ class for fun. The Judo workouts contain much, much more strength and conditioning than BJJ. With either one if you are making an honest effort you probably won't remain obese for very long.

As far as how hard Judo is one the body, that's mainly up to you and how well your ukemi is. There's a skill in learning to fall. Once you have it, it stays with you the rest of your life. The next time you take a tumble down some stairs and do a breakfall to roll away uninjured it makes all the pain it took to learn well worth it.

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 1:37am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    With either one if you are making an honest effort you probably won't remain obese for very long.
    Lost 21 lbs so far via diet alone. 120 to go. Being active is almost more for my mental state at this point as much as my physical.

As far as how hard Judo is one the body, that's mainly up to you and how well your ukemi is. .
    I ukemi like a beached whale.

Also there's Aikido for $10 a walk on. I dont have any magic pajama chaps though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 4:55am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a no brainer. Train the BJJ and Muay Thai. Lose weight, learn to grapple safely and when you're ready to start thinking about doing some tournaments you could go crosstrain with the judo guys. If you feel like you need some comic relief you can go train with the aikido guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 7:18am

Style: Judo, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lost 21 lbs so far via diet alone.

Good job. Keep it up!

For weight loss, Muay Thai might be the best workout of the three. I know watching those guys at my gym they are non-stop in motion and burn a heck of a lot of calories.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 10:01am

Style: Sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming you've visited both schools and their training and technique are legit.

Personally I'd try Judo for 3 months as you already have ground grappling experience. It is a shortish contract so you can switch to BJJ as you see fit.

I would ask if you can take a class for free to see how your body will hold up, or else pay the mat fee for a single time.
    Last edited by illyrus; 12/20/2013 10:04am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also there's Aikido for $10 a walk on. I dont have any magic pajama chaps though.
    As the current apologist for Aikido on BS, I will tell you that -- martial merit aside -- its not the best choice for weight loss or conditioning.

If you're going to concentrate on one MA, take Judo. If you're willing to cross train, BJJ and MuyThai. And of course, time in the gym complements everything.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 11:01am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think the consideration for your body should carry more weight. I got mangled in judo at the age of 21..if you are older than that, and not in good shape also heavy, injuries in judo have a much worst prognosis. Falling with someone else weight on top is bad...It can happen in bjj too of course, just less. And while you are on the ground rolling, unless you role with a powerful asshole you will have the time to tap before.
    So put money and the "effectiveness in the street" considerations to the side and think of your joints.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast