Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 5:48pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, focusing on whether its light or hard contact is looking at it from the wrong direction, IMO. its all relative. It has more to do with where the student is at and designing the exchange based on that, not solid absolute definitions of what makes it hard or light.

I don't teach kids, but with adults, optimal growth tends to take place just a nudge above what the student can actually handle. When youre challenged and can overcome that challenge in a short period of time, physical and psychological growth is very high, consistent, and methodical. It doesn't matter whether some sparring is classified as "hard" or "light". It should generally always feel like a slightly out of reach to provide that challenge to the student. For the instructor, it might feel light, but theyre also the one who has to control the details of the exchange. But the student should be on the edge of his seat--if a student can handle an intensity comfortably, why even waste more time at that level? Maybe a warm-up? Move on to higher intensity already...This goes for speed, level of contact, and any other variable that makes something more pressurized.

Being put WAY outside of your comfort zone has its purpose but is mostly to keep that ego in check and know you can keep going, and come out the other end alive when youre getting mauled. But that's not where you get the most improvement in your game...
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 4/14/2014 5:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2014 5:56am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained in a good few different gyms given my job, so I've seen various approaches to sparring. Some like to throw you in the deep end and some would rather you gradually move up in power and contact while you gain more experience.

Personally I liked the gym that started you off with just body contact, then as you improved in skill, the instructor would decide whether or not to allow light contact to the head and legs. Then move it up in that sense. Until you can be trusted to spar withfull hard contact. Think it's a good way of transitioning into hard contact.

Also taking the approach of telling the higher belts to go easier on the lower belts until they've found their footing, though not to the extent of just standing there and absorbing shots.

Think it gives the students the feel of sparring without just getting their head kicked in. Allowing them to learn how to move against a live opponent at the early stages of training,

With this I feel you could let a student spar from day one rather than the other method I've seen where they make you wait a good few weeks before they allow you to spar.

I've trained in a good few different gyms given my job, so I've seen various approaches to sparring. Some like to throw you in the deep end and some would rather you gradually move up in power and contact while you gain more experience.
    Last edited by Sovvolf; 4/18/2014 5:59am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123