Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 1:21am

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A lousy mitt holder: Worse than nothing at all?

Hey folks. I've found that working mitts with guys who don't know what their doing is really frustrating and afterwards I feel like I've regressed. When I find myself in this situation, is it better to skip it or am I really actually getting something out of it even if it feels awkward? By "don't know what they're doing" I mean holding the mitts at the wrong place, moving them weird, not catching the punches properly etc.

Better yet, when I find myself in this situation, is there something else I should work on that can still be helpful? If they're not going to catch it right or hold them in the proper spots, should I just work footwork or something?

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 4:09am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guys holding the mitts need to learn as well. I'd say as the more advanced student in the situation its your job to help the guy out and improve him so that the next time he's holding pads for you you're going to have a better experience.

Obviously if this guy's some sort of staff member or isn't listening to you then you need to talk to your coach and get that **** sorted out.

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 4:12am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    posted twice
    Last edited by erezb; 9/08/2014 4:16am at . Reason: double

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 4:13am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First i have to agree that it can suck balls, and even be dangerous, from getting cut by the "sharp" edge in your eye or injuring your hand or elbow from a bad hold.
    If you train with them regularly it is worth your time, as you might have noticed, to teach them how to hold. Also talk to your trainer and tell him that it is a problem with some of the noobs and that you think he should take some time from class to teach proper holding.
    If the holder is still ****, i would not hit hard as it will only worsen, and use his pads as pointers where to aim but basically pull the punches. Just make a point to tell them that when they hit you with the pads not to aim with the sharp edge but with the flat padded part.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    back when i was coaching sanda, i got a lot of flak from my fellow instructors because i wanted to dedicate some time every 8 weeks to proper pad holding technique.

it was considered a "waste of time" by most of them.

i think the gains of having a room full of people properly holding pads for each other outweigh the "loss" of 10 minutes of class time every 8 weeks, but maybe that's why i quit teaching there.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't skip it, or your partner will never get better. A good mitt holder is hard to find but worth it to build.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 9:04pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think some people look at holding mitts as a boring part of training and forget really quick what they're told, because holding mitts is not the "fun part". People just prefer hitting pads instead of holding them, imo. Anybody can be lazy and not put enough into it, or get distracted etc including instructors. If they do, and you notice, your training is probably doing OK.

You didn't say whether it was punching, kicking (or both) or why you train (are you a competitor?). If you're just training to train then I'd do what Fuzzy and erezb suggest and help out in a friendly reminder sort of way.

If you're training to compete in some serious format, you might not want to be so nice about it because it probably is regressing you on some level.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I think some people look at holding mitts as a boring part of training and forget really quick what they're told, because holding mitts is not the "fun part".
    yeah, those are the same people who are shitty uke during judo uchikomi.

**** those people.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2014 9:53am

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugggghhh that is literally the worst! I'd rather do nothing at all that work with someone who sucks at holding pads, BUT I think that people are right that its worth investing some time into teaching them how to do it right.

There's this guy at my gym who fancies himself to be a masterful padholder (spoiler: he's not) and I've tried to correct him but it never sticks. When he first came to the gym, he would pat down wayy too hard/far on the punches. When I told him not to do that anymore, he's taken to the opposite extreme where he does the padwork equivalent of limp-noodle handshakes.