Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 8:49pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Principles, Choices, and Models: A SAMBO Clinic

Principles, Choices, and Models: A SAMBO Clinic
    A technical skills and coaching clinic presented by SEA-Town CAMBO and the American SAMBO Association
    Aaron Fields
    Feb 9th 2014 from 10am-3 pm (session #1: 10am-12 session #2: 1-3pm)
    Seattle Jujutsu and CAMBO club 8074 Lake City WAY Seattle WA.
    $50 for both sessions $35 for just one.

One of the major aspects that sets SAMBO apart from many other grappling sports is the methodology in which it is practiced. At the core, this aspect is based around the cultural perspective from which it grew, and of equal importance, how the sport is coached.
    What is missing in most gyms aren’t the skills themselves. What is often missing is the methodology and understanding of “learning and coaching” itself.

The first half of the clinic will be focused on coaching and learning strategies, focused on skill acquisition for performance based high stress environments. This section is geared for coaches, but will also serve the athlete in helping to fine tune their skill acquisition models.

Skills which are going to be performed under pressure have a specific drill model that leads to success. This section of the clinic will be tying in examples of “how to,” in addition to the “whys” of coaching. This section is designed to make coaches better, practices focused in scope, and a clear understanding of how to build technical skills.

The second part of the clinic will be technically focused and will touch on several themes found frequently in CAMBO. Though techniques will be being taught, they will instead be the vehicle for which the coaching methods are being framed. This section will reinforce the principles laid out in the first session of the seminar. It will also show several “go-to” drills.

After this clinic participants won’t simply go home with a handful of new techniques. They should go home with an understanding of how to learn and a handful of drill and strategies which they will be able to apply to their own practice. (In addition to a few nice techniques to throw into their toolbox.)

Aaron Fields is the head coach of the Seattle Jujutsu and SAMBO Club. He stepped on the mat for the first time in 1990 and has extensive experience in judo, ju jutsu, and Russian SAMBO. The gym first opened in 1998, after Aaron’s return from living and practicing in the Eastern Block. His first experience with professional coaching came at the hands of the national coaches he was practicing with.

Aaron makes his living as a Seattle Firefighter. He also has been teaching a specialty for the fire service on a national level since 2007. Besides the technical skills taught, his program is also known for the “how” it is taught.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 1:01am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attended a seminar taught by the esteemed Mr. Fields a few years ago. I still draw on some of the principles he taught me that day. "Step into the bucket" really helped some of my throws. He helps you understand the underlying principles of the techniques he demonstrates. This approach truly deepens your grasp of the moves he illustrates.

I like the "principle approach" so much that I've tried to incorporate it into my own teaching. I would recommend that you not miss this chance to learn from a gifted and funny instructor if you get the chance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 1:35am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. I don't do SAMBO, and I only just started doing BJJ once a week, but this still looks very interesting. I wonder if I can find a way to make it up to Seattle for this...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be there, Aaron. I have to check the finances.

*Just checked expedia. Hell, I can probably swing it. Tickets are only $200ish right now.

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 3:36pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those that don't know Aaron this just happened:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...48#post2808848

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the flyer we are using for Aaron's SAMBO Clinic folks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea-Town Seminar.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	15793

If anyone would like a PDF to print out please post your e-mail here, message me on Bullshido or e-mail me at info@lionsway.us and I'll get one to you.

Thanks!

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a reminder that the Clinic is this weekend, hope to see you there.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 7:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't find airline tickets that would leave and return around my work schedule.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/03/2014 7:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to make it, but can't. I'm only 5 hours away by car, however, we are nostril deep in prep for the Judo BC Winter Games, then 2 other qualifier events to make the provincial team. So my weekends are all booked up for a while !

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2014 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How was it? Wish I could have come.