Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 3:26am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    That sounds pathetic. Did you have to pay money to attend?
    40 USD. DerAuslander got us a free DVD after the seminar they were planning on selling. I think I watched part of it once. At this point it's probably in storage somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 3:28am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    40 USD. DerAuslander got us a free DVD after the seminar they were planning on selling. I think I watched part of it once. At this point it's probably in storage somewhere.
    Ouch. I would have been pissed off if I ended up paying $40 two waste two hours of my life.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 4:57am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I never thought to ask: is your story happening here in the U.S. or somewhere else?

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 5:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I never thought to ask: is your story happening here in the U.S. or somewhere else?
    I've kept the locations vague by design.

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 7:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be having guests in town for the next week so instead of making you wait I will post the rest of the chapters today.

Still feel free to ask questions, I'll be able to read your responses but it may take a day or two to answer.

Enjoy:
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/29/2013 8:16am at .

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 7:29am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part 2: Post College

Chapter 11: Schism in the Dojo

At the beginning on this section I talked about the interesting dynamic at my dojo involving the Monday-Thursday students and the Friday students. This existed during the 5 years I was there at this point (2009). However, things are about to change. You see the Friday instructor (F) first decides the rest of the school is terrible and does too much Judo and not enough of the Classical Jujutsu. Additionally, that not enough of the school is coming to train with him on Friday, so he changes his Friday Class to Monday (one of the schools busiest days). Which would be fine, except he doesn’t show up on Mondays. Instead he sends one of the brown belts to teach in his stead. Monday was always taught by the Chief Instructor of the school (MT) who at the time was a 6th Degree Black Belt (Rokudan) and assisted by 3 1st Degree Black Belts (Shodan). F replaced that with a Brown Belt. F could do this as the head of the entire system, but why? The Brown Belt, we will called D, was one of the F's exclusive students. One of the ones I mentioned a few chapters ago about being very arrogant and shunned the Monday-Thursday students. He is going to teach in the style of F which apparently was superior to MT.

The first time this happens, MT and 3 of us Shodans sit and watch the clusterfuck on the mat. The Students aren’t happy and Monday’s attendance goes from around a dozen people to 0. But before the attendance gets to 0, D is promoted to Black Belt. No test, which has never happened in the history of this dojo. He just gets his Black Belt, probably to give him some legitimacy as he is losing students. Eventually he is referred to by the lower ranks as “The fake black belt that teaches on Monday.”

After all the students that trained on Monday are gone, one of the Shodan come in and decide to “train with him.” As there is no one else on the mat they agreed to do some randori. It doesn’t go well for D. He doesn’t land a single throw, his ground game is completely under developed as he shuns the Judo classes and his striking is ineffective. After 15 minutes of being tooled by one of MT’s Shodans he makes an excuse and leaves.

At this point it is decided to take Monday back. We tell the students MT is teaching on Monday and there are a dozen people on the mat again. This is when D comes in and tell the Shodan running warmups to change what he is doing, the class ignores him. He gives his command again, again he is ignored. He then pulls the Shodan aside and saids that F gave him the authority to teach Monday and he better listen. The Shodan laughs and point him the MT. MT tells him, he is taking Monday back and he is welcome to train as a student. D is pissed and storms out only to return and hour later with F. MT and F have an hour discussion which ends with F leaving the dojo for good. This is MT’s school now, the Friday students are gone. We leave Friday as an empty day and instead add a Saturday Judo Competition Classes for Kids and Adults that I ran for the 2 years. Additionally, MT brought in a BJJ Brown Belt to teach a couple classes during the week, something F expressly forbid (He hates BJJ). With him gone, we were free to do what we wanted. As of today MT has earned his Brown Belt in BJJ on top of his Jujutsu and Judo ranks.

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 7:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part 3: Finding my Way

Chapter 12: Branching out: MMA

Around the same time that F left the school, I took another job which moved me a hour and a half away if there was no traffic. So I ended up only training on Saturday, running the Judo competition class and running Knife Seminars. I will go more into that in Chapter 13. Going from training 5 days a week to 1 was something I was not used to, it was a rough 6 months. During this time, my school brought in a BJJ Brown Belt during the week to run classes, unfortunately between the distance, traffic and work schedule I could not take advantage of this.

It was then that Stick invited me out to see some of his buddies from his MMA gym fight. I went and struck up a conversation with the instructor of his MMA academy and the next week I was coming in twice a week. Tuesday was Muay Thai Kickboxing and Thursday was No-GI Jiu Jitsu. I very much enjoyed the No-GI Jiu Jitsu as it reminded me of my college training. It was then I fell into the trap most BJJ white belts fall into, the 10th Planet System. You see I was doing No-Gi Jiu Jitsu, the only time I put on a GI anymore was Judo class. Additionally, I know the Lockdown Half-Guard as a Judo technique to block the pass and get the standup. As my competition Judo strategy involved a lot of Sutemi Waza (Sacrifice Throws), Lockdown half guard was a key part of my game in case I got into trouble. The fact that the 10th Planet System utilized the position in a offensive matter intrigued me.

I stopped Muay Thai after 6 months. At this point I was 27 and never planning to step in the ring or cage so I decided just to focus on grappling. I like grappling over striking and the 6 months of Muay Thai gave me enough to let me work a bag without hurting or embarrassing myself. So with two days of No-Gi Jiu Jitsu, 10th planet Books and Videos and my Judo Black Belt, I earned my Blue Belt within the year. At the point I never put on a GI during Jiu Jitsu, and the head of the Academy was at that time a purple belt with no affiliation. I bring this up so a decision that I made in Chapter 14 makes sense.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/29/2013 9:42am at .

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 7:41am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chapter 13: Instructing

So in the last Chapter I mentioned that during this time I am instructing. Honestly, there isn’t much drama here. I am running 3 hours of Judo every Saturday morning. 1 hour for the Kids , 2 hours for the adults (1 hour for Standup, 1 hour for Ground). It was pretty uneventful for the couple of years I did it. I do remember once having class when it was predicted that we were going to have 1 inch of snow. I had class anyway, but by the time we were done 6 inches had fallen and the interstate wasn’t plowed. It took me 5 hours to get home that day. As for the Judo though, it was good, we had some adults compete at the local level and one of the kids won the State Kids Judo-ka of the Year.

At the time though, my true passion was knife fighting. With many years of Kenjutsu, I preferred to focus on knife. As a result I ran a half a dozen seminars around my area and even taught at Camp Skeletor II: Ragnarok. At seminars we did Knife on Knife and Unarmed against Knife. We use eye protection and went at it full contact, we even got a shock knife to do live knife defense drills. You see anyone on Bullshido with the CQBully Tag, they learned to love the shock knife :)

The most entertaining story I have from instructing was my time at Grad School. When I went to Grad School, I was hoping there would be a Judo, BJJ or No-Gi Jiu Jitsu club for me to join, but no. The only Martial Arts clubs on campus were Aikido and TKD, both of which I had no interest. So I decide to start a club. It was so easy at my undergraduate university, why would of it be any harder here. So I bill the club as a Combatives Club as we are going to do Knife, Judo and No-Gi Jiu Jitsu. I even got permission from the purple belt running the MMA academy to teach No-Gi Jiu Jitsu at the club. I filled out the paperwork, faxed them a copy of my Black Belt certificate (I was surprised they asked), and it was rejected. You see, the club I was trying to start was too violent. I counter with removing the Knife work, thinking that was the issue. No, the issue was there would be sparring. Apparently, the TKD club did not do sparring and the Aikido club was … Aikido. Either way, I ran it as unofficial club for a bit, but decided it was too much hassle and stopped. You see my undergraduate university was a public school, my grad school was one of the most expensive private universities in the nation and god forbid these rich kids get hurt. The previous year a Muay Thai Club and the following year a BJJ club met the same fate. The school doesn’t even have a wrestling program anymore. Very sad :(

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 7:47am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chapter 14: MMA Drama & Rediscovering BJJ

I was hoping that at this point of my life the Drama was over. I was doing No-GI Jiu Jitsu twice a week and teaching Judo once a week. I was happy. Then things changed. You see my purple belt coach merged with another purple belt coach to move into a larger facility even closer to where I was living (not very close, still a 45 min commute). At first everything was good. The facility was better, the mats were better, all the instructors were there. I enjoyed the change, however, this didn’t last long. You see my purple belt coach had a falling out with the other purple belt coach over the schedule. My coach claimed he was trying to squeeze him out, while the other coach said based on the money invested and the contract signed he is the majority owner and the other coach can’t have everything his way and was tired to dealing with his bullshit. I am not sure who was right but my coach left. He eventually started up his own academy but at the time all the students, the facility, and the rest of the instructors where there, so I stayed. However, it wasn’t the same. The wrestling coached moved, and the Jiu Jitsu instructor at the time seemed to like to teach lots of neck cracks, which wasn’t my style at all. Eventually, I decide to leave for some place closer.

Its now 2011, and I receive my Nidan (Second Degree Black Belt) from my Judo/JuJutsu/Kenjutsu Dojo but I am feeling very plateaued. I need something new, I need to renew my passion for training. During my time in No-GI Jiu Jitsu I found DVDs of an instructor that I really liked his teaching style and Jiu Jitsu game. Lucky for me his school is 30 mins from my office building, so I swing by. This is a pure BJJ and Wrestling school. My first class was No-GI. With all my years of Judo and a few years of No-GI Jiu Jitsu, I figured I could hang, and I could … with the white belts. You see, I rolled with one guy that cut through my lockdown like it wasn’t there and I couldn’t mount any sort of offensive against. This guy must be a black belt, except when we lined up at the end of class he was in the line with the blue belts. That when I realized the difference between being a big fish in a small pond and training at an academy that produced ADCC and Mundials medalists. So I took off the blue belt that was given to me by my old MMA coach (purple belt), and started again as a white. I ditch all the 10th planet No-Gi Jiu Jitsu i learned from books and videos and stopped teaching and put my Judo aside for the moment and emptied my cup. I trained 5 days a week again both Gi and NoGi and at the end of 2012 I got my Blue Belt (this time under a BJJ Black Belt) and started reintegrating my Judo with my new found BJJ skills. In 2013 I won 2 gold medals and 4 silver medals in both GI and No-GI getting 1 silver in an Advanced No-GI Absolute Division in my last tournament. I have since taken another job that has moved me away this summer. I am still doing BJJ with the same International BJJ team, and training at my home BJJ academy when I come back 1-2 times a year. This job will only last a few years and I’ll be back full-time in 2016, but in the meantime I get around 9-10 hours of mat time a week with one of the best instructors in this part of the world.

Thank you for reading, the baton has been passed for someone else to tell their story…
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/29/2013 8:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2013 9:36am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome dude thanks for the story, it was very entertaining. I'm on vacation now in the land of the ninjas (Japan) so what better place to read it from. If this story was a small booklet or something I wouldn't have minded paying some dollars for it.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast