225138 Bullies, 3949 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Stockholm, Sweden (just south of the Polar Bears)

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 7:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is awesome, keep it up

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 3:30am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be starting Part II now, but lets see some more interaction in the thread. The reason I did this as a YMAS thread and not an article was for discussion and interaction. Feel free to ask questions and share you own related stories.

Part II: Post College

Chapter 7: Restarting

Its now 2004:

So in the last section, I graduated. Both from school and my ninja obsession (kinda). I add the kinda in there because the main reason I chose my new school was because they trained the “ninja weapons.” By “ninja weapons” I referred to Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto, Shuriken, and Bo. Now, these are Japanese weapons common to many Japanese Martial Arts that have nothing to do with Ninjutsu. However, to me this school was literally the best of both worlds. I get to train all the weapons and the non-weapons arts were all Judo and (Japanese) Jujutsu. I couldn’t just dominate sparring with my small amount of college No-Gi Jiu Jitsu. As for sparring we spared with Bamboo Swords, Wooden Knives, Judo rules, Judo rules with Kyokushin Rules for striking.

We were a small school, a large night had 8 people of the mat. There was an unusual dynamic at this dojo though. See, I trained everyday the school was open which was Monday through Friday. There was 1 instructor that taught Monday - Thursday who was the chief instructor of the school, lets call him MT. Now there was another instructor that taught on Fridays. He was the chief instructor of the entire system, lets call him F. It’s a subtle distinction, but technically that put the Friday instructor ahead of the Weeknight instructor. The reason I bring this up is because there was only a few of us that trained with both instructors. Most of the school trained only Monday - Thursday, while a few students shunned the Monday-Thursday crowd and only trained on Fridays. They acted superior to the rest of the school. See MT was a wrestler, studied and competed in Judo for many years. He focused on drilling technique, application and live drills. F on the other hand, was the one that trained in Japan with the Japanese Instructors. He bought a lot more into the deeper philosophy of the movements. Don’t get me wrong he had real technique and was a good fighter in his own right. In fact, the most esoteric training I have ever received was under his tutelage, that day he asked the 3 of us that were there never to show what we learned outside that mat. And to this day I still haven’t. However, due to the way he taught his exclusive students always felt they had a greater understanding and therefore superior fighters than the rest of the school. This will come to a head several chapters later but first my business at college wasn’t finished. You see there was a Samurai that had just started school there....
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/26/2013 8:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 5:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, did you guys spar on Fridays or was it just technique?
    And dammit, do I hate cliffhangers!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 5:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoto View Post
    So, did you guys spar on Fridays or was it just technique?
    And dammit, do I hate cliffhangers!
    We spared a lot on Friday, that's when we did the most of our Kyokushin + Judo sparring and our weapons sparring. During the week we focused more on Judo Randori.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/26/2013 7:49am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have finished the story which ends at Part III Chapter 14. So we are officially at the half way point. As I am done now, I may post this a bit quicker, especially if I am getting feedback.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I think I remember you mentioning the Samurai story before... and it is a good one.

Pretty good read, Plasma, you reminded me when I was younger and I left Judo for Kuk Sool Won... I still regret that decision
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 11:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been away from Bullshido for a long time. This thread has me wondering what else I've been missing. This has got me riveted! I grew up on the 80's ninja movies and I can totally relate to the belief that ninjutsu is the most powerful martial art in all the world! I would have killed to have a ninjutsu school near me.

When I was in my early 20's, I used to walk by a BJJ school almost daily. Then, I would get into my car and drive to my "Chinese Boxing" class. I mean, what do Brazilians know about martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 9:56am

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep refreshing the page but no new ninjer stories are appearing.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 11:55am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part 2: Post College

Chapter 8: College Samurai

For those of you that been around the site for a while, a long while, you will remember this story. You see I decided that I would join an online Martial Arts community. So I tried MAP. I was banned for proposing to the people in the Ninjutsu Forum that they should spar. In fact I think I am still blamed for the Bullshido vs MAP holy war like 9 years ago. Either way, I ended up posting here, I attended several throwdowns that carried there own drama in the form of a walking 80s Kung Fu Stereotype. While it was big drama on the site, it had very little effect on my Martial Arts development so its not worth going into here. However, I had yet to have my own “investigation.” Little did I know I was about to have one fall into my lap.

You see I had graduated the previous year and still had many friends that I visited every few months. Well one of the people I visited was my old TKD instructor who informed me that there was a new student I had to meet, he does Japanese swordsmanship. We meet and it’s very odd, he seems to know a little bit about swordsmanship but then he will launch into stories such as him studying Iron Body Kung Fu and having his instructor break wooden swords over him. He didn’t break bones because they are “ultra-dense.” Then he would say things that reflected he was not ignorant of Japanese Swordsmanship, but then the conversation would switch and the next thing he will be taking about his instructor dislocating all his joints and making him pop them back in. Honestly, I was a bit confused. At first I chalked it up to a freshman in a new school that was trying to impress. So when he invites me down to his Kenjutsu Club he instructs, I tell him I will come.

I didn’t think anything of him teaching at the time, the school he claimed his certification from is a legit school. This turns into an interesting experience. As soon as I get there, his students are there waiting and he commands me to grab a bokken (wooden sword). Now, I been introduced to him as a “Ninja”, which is not surprising due to my previous history. Honestly, I played it up a bit, because it was fun. But now, the situation changed. You see, the reason he invited me down was not to train, but to fight in front of his class to show the superiority of his swordsmanship, he was a Samurai. At least that is what he called himself. Now no less we are going to fight, but with wooden weapons. My school spars with Split Bamboo, so sparring with bokken is a little much for me. But, I am young and stupid so I accept the challenge.

Now at this point, I have maybe a year and true sword training under my belt. So we start and he comes in fast and hard. I parry the downward slash and counter clocking him upside the head. He curses, as that had to sting. Now I not putting much of any force in my strikes as I don’t want to give this poor guy a concussion. He demands we continue. We continue but I limit myself to his thumb and wrist. After another few minutes, he goes and grabs a second bokken. He explains that before he did Japanese Kenjutsu, he did some style of Iron Body Kung Fu that used two Katana. Seriously.......

So, at this point I went from a night of Kenjutsu training to a Full LaRP battle with wooden weapons. Now I should of left, that would be the smart thing. But I am a “Ninja” in a battle with a Samurai. Ok, even then I wasn’t that dumb, but I was winning and I am having fun in spite of the situation. So I go to my bag instead and grab 3 rubber shaken (Throwing stars). You see most Kenjutsu schools include a section of Shurikenjutsu as a way to detract an opponent. I never sparred with them before though. Now our samurai is posing with his swords, but not coming forward. I use this opportunity to throw one of my shaken, it landed on its target (his eyeline) and I close the distance and pop him on the head again. Its over. He has had enough, but as I am packing up my gear he declares that if that had been real swords, he would of won because he has the the true spirit of the samurai.

I leave my college with an amusing story of a LaRP battle. However, it does not end there. You see, I hear from my friends at the college, that I disrespected him by denying him a battle with live blades and he now has to kill me with his katana which he named “Demon Slayer.” He apparently carried it on campus until Campus Police made him stop.

Remember, I said he claimed a legit Kenjutsu school. So I emailed them, asking about him. Turns out he did in fact train a year there and when he went off to college and they gave him permission to run a basics class that has since been revoked. I am not sure what was the reason, I have no idea what relation he had with the dojo, but he blamed me for this misfortunate. At that point the last of friends graduated and I completely lost contact with that situation. Some one linked me his online dating profile years later, maybe he found love?

Stay Tuned for Chapter 9: The Return of the Ninja

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plasma, I'm loving this. It invokes a lot of memories of my younger years of getting involved in the martial arts....everything from walking into a Dux-Ryu "Ninjutsu" school to being friends with a guy who claimed near mastery of Kempo and "Scorpion style kung-fu" to learning a little Aikido from a junior high school coach. This is great stuff you're giving us.

There's just two things that I want to make sure I understand: first, at this point in the story, you've more or less given up on Ninjutsu and are studying Judo, correct? Second, at this point in your story, are you feeling like you wasted your time with Ninjutsu?

Keep it comin', man!
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast