Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/22/2013 2:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got some time this morning and finished through Chapter 11 closing out Part II. Therefore, I figured I post Chapter 5 a bit earlier then my original schedule. Enjoy:

Part I : The College Years

Chapter 5: A Summer of Ninja, Aikido and BJJ

After my Junior Year I take an out-of-state internship. This puts me away from my Ninjutsu School at home and the TKD and Jiu Jitsu Clubs at school. So after I move and settle in to my internship, I go and find another X-kan school (different X-kan) but they only train 2 days a week. So in addition, I join a BJJ school (very legit), however, the BJJ school shared space with an Aikido school. I decide to do both. I know nothing about Aikido so I decide I do what ever I need to do to be a better Ninja. Now, before you ask, No the BJJ school did not let me wear my Ninja Tabi. I was disappointed. But I still have my new Ninjutsu school.

Now, this new Ninjutsu school was a nightmare. Remember, how I said my Ninjutsu school at home sparred and grappled. This new one did not, they were far too deadly (in their own minds). This was the start of me waking up from my Ninja dream. Think of every LaRPing Ninja Video you have ever seen, it could of been shot at this dojo. I lasted around 2 months. There was an incident that after I was told that maybe this school wasn’t the best fit for me. I was “playing” with one of the Black Belts, remember they don’t spar. I went for a trip, and took full mount. His exact quote was “Do you think that is a good position?” As I am in full mount I respond “Yes.” He reaches up to pinch me. So I setup an armbar, which he defends by turning onto his belly. I finish it with a Rear Naked Choke. He gets pissed and storms off the mat, and I was no longer welcome back. Again, I win with Jiu Jitsu but what I really think is. “This X-kan has shitty Ninjutsu, the X-kan school I have at home has the real Ninjutsu.”

At this time I am training Gi Jiu Jitsu at a legit academy for a few months 3 days a week and Aikido 1 day a week. I have no strong feelings on the Aikido. It seems to be an exercise in throwing people that were already falling down. It sharpened up my wrist locks, but little else. I only did it 1 day a week for a few months, so I barely scratched the surface. So again, I am actually doing BJJ more than any other training and I use it to win matches against other Ninjutsu-ka.

At this point I am at a lost on what I should do. I know what you are thinking, just do BJJ. But I was thinking was “How do I become a Ninja if all the Ninjutsu schools suck?”

Around 2 weeks before I leave I find what will eventually be my next step in my journey. Googling around I find a school around 45 minutes away that has a lot of the same philosophy as my school back home. I call and it turns out this school’s instructor knew my instructor back home. Additionally, the instructors were Black Belts in Judo and had people competing. I trained there for 2 weeks, and the first night I sparred. Expecting to dominate like I did at the Ninjutsu school, I was very wrong. With their Judo, there takedowns were far better, and their ground game was good enough to give me fits. I wasn’t very good, but my meager Jiu Jitsu had always been enough at this point. Finally, a good dojo. In addition to the Judo, they called what they did Jujutsu or Taijutsu (which I found out later is pretty interchangeable when it comes to Japanese Martial Arts) and they did Kenjutsu (Sword) every week. I like to say, at this point I completely left the world of the Ninja and X-kans behind and started with my Judo, Jujutsu/Taijutsu and Kenjutsu. But first, I had to finish my senior year at college.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2013 7:31pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is amazingly entertaining. I hope it starts a trend.

one question though, you said with your new school you were leaving x-kans behind, but wasn't it a ninjutsu school that happened to have judo?
    Last edited by BJMills; 12/22/2013 7:37pm at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    This is amazingly entertaining. I hope it starts a trend.

one question though, you said with your new school you were leaving x-kans behind, but wasn't it a ninjutsu school that happened to have judo?
    No. I'll go into more in Chapter 7 but it's a Ko-ryu school (Asayama Ichiden-ryu, Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Kukishin-ryu) that also had Judo. The confusion lies is that the later 2 ryu-ha are also "taught" in the X-kans but have lineages that have nothing to do with the modern Ninjutsu movement.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/23/2013 1:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 2:13am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    No. I'll go into more in Chapter 7 but it's a Ko-ryu school (Asayama Ichiden-ryu, Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Kukishin-ryu) that also had Judo. The confusion lies is that the later 2 ryu-ha are also "taught" in the X-kans but have lineages that have nothing to do with the modern Ninjutsu movement.
    Oh, okay got ya.

Actually its pretty amazing that you found legit Asayama Ichiden-ryu place.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 2:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Oh, okay got ya.

Actually its pretty amazing that you found legit Asayama Ichiden-ryu place.
    I agree. I didn't realize how rare that ryū-ha was outside of Japan until many years later. Our chief instructor learned it while living in Japan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 2:39am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I agree. I didn't realize how rare that ryū-ha was outside of Japan until many years later. Our chief instructor learned it while living in Japan.
    I would do horrible, horrible things to be able to train at a dojo like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 8:21am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another question Plasma:

When you were owning your mates at sparring sessions at ninjutsu was there anyone who asked you if you crosstrain and in what? Has anyone left the classes in time you were there because of thinking about your superiority, skills and honest conversation with you?

I always thought about jujitsu, judo,... as superior fighting systems (and grossly underestimated strikers) but I also thought 'Well, aikido is something similar, I guess it can be useful if I'll train it enough...' (I was in aikikai style). And I loved it for ukemi, break-falls, non-violence,...

Of course when I started working in security it was a complete let-down. And at the class of self defence for my job (I already worked several months before it started) I had a chance to spar someone who was skilled in jujitsu to some degree. Despite towering above him I was on the ground and choked in 15 seconds or so. Words 'Why am I wasting time with aikido again?' started flashing in my mind.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Another question Plasma:

When you were owning your mates at sparring sessions at ninjutsu was there anyone who asked you if you crosstrain and in what? Has anyone left the classes in time you were there because of thinking about your superiority, skills and honest conversation with you?

I always thought about jujitsu, judo,... as superior fighting systems (and grossly underestimated strikers) but I also thought 'Well, aikido is something similar, I guess it can be useful if I'll train it enough...' (I was in aikikai style). And I loved it for ukemi, break-falls, non-violence,...

Of course when I started working in security it was a complete let-down. And at the class of self defence for my job (I already worked several months before it started) I had a chance to spar someone who was skilled in jujitsu to some degree. Despite towering above him I was on the ground and choked in 15 seconds or so. Words 'Why am I wasting time with aikido again?' started flashing in my mind.

Not to my knowledge. There were always questions about who I was training with during my long absences for school. But never had someone quit over a randori session.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 9:07am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part I : The College Years

Chapter 6: The Ninjutsu Club

After my summer, I return to college and continue my No-Gi Jiu Jitsu club. We had lost our blue belt, so its just a bunch of white belts sparring for an hour or so 3 days a week.

But in my mind despite my summer experience I am determined to make my Ninjutsu work. Even though between my breaks I maybe have a year of training at my home Ninjutsu school, I decided I want to start a club on campus to teach. I get books from the 2 X-kan Grandmasters and take notes. I put up flyers and recruit some people and we decide to learn real Ninjutsu. We will not use the Matted room, but the Nature Preserve. I think the highlight of that night was I was planning to surprise my group by appearing out of nowhere during the first group meeting. Turns out the group met far enough away that I couldn’t sneak up on them, even in the dark, there were too many leaves and sticks on the ground to be silent. Watching videos and reading books on silent walking doesn’t mean you can do it. This club did not last long.

It was during this year I had my 1 and only “street fight.” I put this is quotes because it was disappointing to say the least. I don’t remember how it started, we weren’t drunk or even arguing. I am not sure why, but he decided it was a good idea to tackle me. I quickly took his back and put in a Rear Naked Choke, again using my Jiu Jitsu. But this time he didn’t tap. I was confused, they are suppose to tap, right?! So I let go, I don’t really feel in danger. He gets up and is pissed. Pissed enough to throw a haymaker, I duck he falls over into the wall and he decides we are done fighting. Its pretty anti-climatic.

I graduate and the internship leads to a job, so I move. I decide to stop BJJ and return to the dojo I spent my last 2 weeks the previous summer. The era of the College Ninja is done. Part II will address my post College Years doing Japanese Jujutsu/Taijutsu, Judo, and Kenjutsu but as you will see I am not done with my College experience.
    Last edited by Plasma; 12/24/2013 10:33am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/24/2013 9:32am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This ends Part I. Stay tuned for Part II....
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast