Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2013 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choosing a hip throw

Over time I would like to be at least a little proficient with all throws, but right now I am trying to get a core takedown game. I am looking at Tai Otoshi or Harai Goshi for a hip throw. I am 6' 2" and @205 lbs. What are some pros and cons to each of these, and might there be a hip throw that would work better for my build?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai otoshi isn't a hip throw. It's a hand throw, and done right they don't touch your hips at all. I'm not pointing this out just to be pedantic, they are two very different throws which you would use in different situations.

The usual way of picking a throw is that you learn all the throws, and then one day you realise you've started to favour one over the others.

I think you should work on developing your tsurikomi goshi first. It is kind of a root move for harai goshi and uchi mata, and has elements you'll use for tai otoshi. Then see where it goes from there.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Tai otoshi isn't a hip throw. It's a hand throw, and done right they don't touch your hips at all. I'm not pointing this out just to be pedantic, they are two very different throws which you would use in different situations.
    Ah, thanks for the correction.

The usual way of picking a throw is that you learn all the throws, and then one day you realise you've started to favour one over the others.
    This is normally how my throws have come to me. For the longest time I thought I would never learn Judo lol. I may have just become impatient and frustrated at myself as the only time I land any hip throws are as counters.

I think you should work on developing your tsurikomi goshi first. It is kind of a root move for harai goshi and uchi mata, and has elements you'll use for tai otoshi. Then see where it goes from there.
    Looks good to me, thanks CF.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 11:16am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tsurikomi goshi requires a lot of shoulder flexibility which I don't have. From a competition standpoint harai goshi is probably the most popular but it's not an easy throw to do well. I like it because you don't have to get in as deep as some of the others and it is comfy for me off the standard grip.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    harai goshi is probably the most popular but it's not an easy throw to do well.
    it's *really* hard to do well. been working on it for 3 years now and still suck at it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 11:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can do tsurikomi goshi, and I have a metal plate in my shoulder which has killed my mobility. Also, if you don't have the mobility required for TKG, you're going to wreck your rotator cuff when you try and do tai-otoshi.

I'm not suggesting making tsurikomi-goshi a main throw. I think if you practice it, you'll feel yourself naturally gravitating towards harai goshi or uchi mata - which is a better way of deciding than picking one off a list. Once one of those clicks, you might find you're not so interested in tai otoshi any more, or you might have decided it's awesome.

Harai and Uchi mata are statistically higher scoring than tai-otoshi, but not by much. Tai-otoshi is still seen as a reliable match winner by a lot of people.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, what is the general consensus on hip throws? Should I be worried about having one as a go-to instead of just a counter?

I have been weary of them since I am usually much taller than a lot of people I train with seeing that a failed hip throw gives up my back, and uke is generally already under my center of gravity before they even bend at the knees.

As I stated, I generally hit O Uchi Mata as a counter and occasionally off the whizzer, and sometimes Harai Goshi as a counter to a body lock/double underhooks.

Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    My best/favourit hip throw is Koshi Gurma (Hip wheel)

It transitions well to no gi
    I guess now might be a good time to mention that the majority of competition I foresee myself participating in would be NAGA style no gi tourneys and MMA events. Nice suggestion as well.

and the 'grip' over the shoulders/behind the kneck I find easier to get than under the arm
    Methinks you are talking about O Goshi.

It also finishes naturally in kesa getame...win!
    Kesa is dat truf!
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, what is the general consensus on hip throws?
    If you're taller than everyone else, then you're not going to get as much mileage out of them, but they're still probably something you would want to know.

Personally, I hardly ever turn in for throws and prefer to do things which allow me to stay facing my opponent. I only turn in when I have a big opening, usually tai-otoshi. The other thing is that I can hop in and out of tai-otoshi reasonably quickly, so if it fails I can often take a second bite of the cherry.

How long have you been training judo and how much focus do you put on it? I think it's hard for anyone to say what you should or shouldn't be doing. It depends a lot on you, and what your coach is telling you to do. To a certain extent you need to plug away at this stuff and it kind of sorts itself out. It's a very frustrating road though.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 8:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If you're taller than everyone else, then you're not going to get as much mileage out of them, but they're still probably something you would want to know.
    Noted. This is what I was thinking.

Personally, I hardly ever turn in for throws and prefer to do things which allow me to stay facing my opponent. I only turn in when I have a big opening, usually tai-otoshi. The other thing is that I can hop in and out of tai-otoshi reasonably quickly, so if it fails I can often take a second bite of the cherry.
    Likewise, obviously. I just feel like 1) I need to get out of my comfort zone and 2) I need at least one go-to hip throw, just in case.

How long have you been training judo and how much focus do you put on it?
    I've logged about 47 hours since July 31, and had about 2 months prior experience, so....maybe an additional 30 hours.

Judo is a huge focus of mine, with about equal time spent on the ground. I (kick)box one or two days a week when I can, but grappling is my only constant right now. So a closer estimate of my actual takedown time might be around 25-35 hours lol.

I think it's hard for anyone to say what you should or shouldn't be doing. It depends a lot on you, and what your coach is telling you to do. To a certain extent you need to plug away at this stuff and it kind of sorts itself out. It's a very frustrating road though.
    Understood. I think my coach is pretty happy with my development (and I'm just now starting to develop). I don't get told I need to focus on any throws in particular, I usually get modifications and additions for the throws on which I focus.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 1:11am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So under a half-year of recreational twice/week practice? You're lucky to pull off a good fart in shiai. Stick to what your sensei are teaching you and ignore the peanut gallery here.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast